Garden wall

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Garden wall

Postby Ursula » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:48 pm

Hi there,

Our neighbours ripped the old chain link fence that was there before and built a new wall of concrete bricks. They did this without consulting us, we had no idea they were going to do it, one day a jcb was in the garden ripping it all up. Fine. They paid for the whole wall and did not consult us or ask us for any money - we would have paid 50/50 if they had asked.

The other day they constructed a "chiringuito" with metal structure and bamboo roof, secured with bolts through the wall, soldered at our end. We were out the Saturday that they did it and they would have had to solder the metal on our side which they obviously did by jumping over the wall.

What would you do? Is there anything we can do about it? Is it true that because they built the wall they can do anything they like either side of the wall?

I am not happy about it because they came into our garden without permission, but my partner says, "well it is technically their wall" but I think they should have at least asked us first, or left a note in our letterbox saying they tried to contact us but we were out, etc. etc.

What would you do?

Regards
Ursula

Nimrod
Resident

Re: Garden wall

Postby Nimrod » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:23 pm

Are the neighbours Spanish?
They do have a habit of doing things to their advantage when no one is around.
It certainly wouldn't please me if they'd come into my garden without permission,if it were the other way round I bet you'd never hear the last of it.
What sort of neighbours are they.?
Up until now have they been quiet and considerate?
I'd be more worried about what is going to happen in that hut.
Are we going to have family and friends over at 11pm for an impromptu fry up. ?
If they are now quiet and considerate I think I'd swallow it as people can go out of their way to be bad neighbours if you complain.
I'd save the complaints for when the hog roasts start.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:27 pm

Do you object to the wall being there?
I so, you could make a complaint to the local police that you suspect they have built the wall without a building licence.
Before taking this course of action make sure you have all necessary licences for any work you have done.
Also be prepared for your neighbours to not be friendly with you any longer, assuming they are friendly now.
If you only object to them coming onto your property to do work on their wall you could ask them how they managed to do the work without them coming onto your property as you don't remember them asking your permission.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:30 pm

Do you really want to go to war with your neighbour?

If you are friendly with them you could tell them you were suprised they hadn't mentioned they were replacing the fence with a wall. I may be that it just hadn't occurred to them that you might be interested! If you play it cool you'll probably get an invite to their inaugral barbeque.

You said yourself you would have paid half of the cost of the wall. It has cost you nothing - I call that a result! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Chill. There are far worse things to worry about.

annfoto
Resident

Postby annfoto » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:21 am

A lot of good advice has been given.
Don't make war with your neighbor it will only make you miserable. But if you are really annoyed, knit a little effigy of him and stick pins in.
Worked for me :thumbup:
Ann

sujee
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sujee » Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:09 am

annfoto wrote:A lot of good advice has been given.
Don't make war with your neighbor it will only make you miserable. But if you are really annoyed, knit a little effigy of him and stick pins in.
Worked for me :thumbup:
Sound advice. I did wonder why I have a frozen shoulder. :wink:

Ursula
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Ursula » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:49 am

Thanks for your replies guys. The neighbours are Spanish, they are a bit strange, never wanted to talk to anybody let alone us. They only use the house at weekends for family and friends. The wall was built a few years ago and yes, we did have a result in that we did not have to pay for it, but does this mean that they can jump over the wall into our garden if they want to do something to the other side of the wall "because it is their wall"?

I don't want a war, of course not. But I resent them coming into the garden when we are not there.

We have a chiringuito more or less in the same place on the other side of the wall :)

They are just weirdos, we'll leave it at that.

Thanks again.
Ursula

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:24 pm

Good walls make good neighbours.

If you are unhappy about the wall .. you will have to investigate at the planning department what the ruling on walls are in your location . and if applicable they have the permit for such . if they have - tough luck.

If not - you have always got the right to raise a denuncia - and have the wall taken down and the fence returned.

Tough call !

Chunky Monky
Resident

Postby Chunky Monky » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:34 pm

Probably too late now anyway, if the wall was built 'a few years ago'.

sick and tired
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby sick and tired » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:25 pm

from the sounds of it i would be more worried about what they do not want you to see that they are burying in the garden!!!