Renewing non resident NIE help please

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
phil16c
Tourist

Renewing non resident NIE help please

Postby phil16c » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:01 pm

I've looked at old posts on this subject and found no clear answers so............I'll try afresh.

I have a non resident NIE dated from May 2009 and have used this for any admin purposes up until a few weeks ago when I went to register with my local health centre. They pointed out that my NIE was out of date and that I would need to renew it in order to get a medical number from them.

So, today I went to the police office in Velez Malaga (where original is from) didn't get beyond the person at the door who gives out the tickets as I was too late but I did check with him I had all I needed for a return visit. He informed me that my NIE was valid until May 2014 - 5 years.

As usual in these situations, who do you believe??? :?
The medical centre won't issue a medical number until I renew NIE, police say it doesn't need renewed.

I have searched online for the answer to this with no joy.
Any one else renewed their's recently or have any relevant info?

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Renewing non resident NIE help please

Postby Julie » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:06 pm

I am pretty sure your NIE is forever, maybe its your padron you need to update.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

phil16c
Tourist

Postby phil16c » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:14 pm

No,can't be anything to do with padron as it was the NIE the health centre had and that's what the policeman saw too.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:33 pm

Hi phil16c,
You will need the infamous Green Form........The one that allows you to stay over 90 days in Spain.

"Certificado De Registro De Ciudadano De La Unión"
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

phil16c
Tourist

Postby phil16c » Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:11 am

Hmmmm? well maybe I do but that sounds like a separate issue and still doesn't explain what I'm being told about my current Non Resident's NIE.
Does it expire 5 years after date of issue? If not, how long does it last?

phil16c
Tourist

Postby phil16c » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:11 am

The "green one" being form EX-18 Solicitud de inscripción en el Registro
Central de Extranjeros_Residencia ciudadano de la UE ? Yes?

If so I've found the form, filled it in and will now make another trip and see where that takes me!
More paper :roll:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:12 am

Hi phil16c,
Lucky you have got this far with out one.......I had to get the Green Form two years ago as the White NIE was not being accepted.
Still have same NIE number that's for life............ :D
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:06 am

NIEs do not need to be renewed.

If you are not resident then I don't think they will necessarily allow you to register with a doctor any more.

Your only health cover will be your UK EHIC and you just present that at the health centre when you want treatment. They are tightening up the rules about "health tourists".

They probably meant that you needed to new green form which is only issued to people who have signed onto the foreigners register and you can't do that now unless you have private medical insurance or cover as a pensioner who has moved permanently to Spain.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Yes unfortunately all the medical centre staff call the green certificate of registration ' Nie' . Even when it is explained to them & holding up both different forms they are still too stupid to understand.
Todos somos Lorca.

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:57 pm

gus-lopez wrote:Yes unfortunately all the medical centre staff call the green certificate of registration ' Nie' . Even when it is explained to them & holding up both different forms they are still too stupid to understand.
a bit heavy considering you are the one who has chosen to move to what is their country and language.....

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:08 pm

They probably meant that you needed to new green form which is only issued to people who have signed onto the foreigners register and you can't do that now unless you have private medical insurance or cover as a pensioner who has moved permanently to Spain.

Sid

Does this mean anyone of pension from the EU that moves permantely to Spain and over 65 and retired will have full medical insurance free of charge and/or are there conditions attatched to same.
I did not get that far yet but i am hoping i will and would like to know what options will be available to me.

Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:07 pm

carrowcrin wrote:
Does this mean anyone of pension from the EU that moves permantely to Spain and over 65 and retired will have full medical insurance free of charge and/or are there conditions attatched to same.
I did not get that far yet but i am hoping i will and would like to know what options will be available to me.

Thanks
Basically yes. If you have a UK state pension you can apply to the DWP for form S1 which will give you full health cover under the Spanish NHS.

Sid

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:10 pm

carrowcrin wrote: a bit heavy considering you are the one who has chosen to move to what is their country and language.....
Not really. Some of them are total idiots who have no idea of their own rules and procedures.

It happens all the time.

Sid

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:04 pm

Thanks for your reply in relation to health care...

Not really. [/quote] Some of them are total idiots who have no idea of their own rules and procedures[quote]

I need to add that this is another sad comment as the responcibility to understand the system we have chosen to live/holiday in rests with us.
To me to call them stupid and idiots says a lot about the people making the comments.

regards

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:52 pm

I'm sorry you are wrong. Live here long enough and you will realize I am right and many others will agree.

You may think the UK invented "jobsworths" but the Spanish civil servants are far worse.

You say we should understand the system - the problem is that the Spanish civil servants don't understand their own system and I can quote you endless examples and I am sure that other long term residents will have their own examples

Sid

carrowcrin
Resident

Postby carrowcrin » Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:34 pm

I don't really have strong views but it seems to me you have chosen the wrong country and you may have being better in the UK.
you know what they say what the people who live in Rome do??

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:15 pm

carrowcrin - you would be far better accepting that living anywhere is a question of plusses and minuses (except Paradise - which would not be living!) and that the widespread incompetence and lack of caring by public sector staff here is NOT one of the plusses!
Being aware can only help you realise that you must not believe innocently anything you are told, and expecting any promise made to be kept will often lead to disappointment.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:50 pm

You are ignoring three important words in the post you object to : "Some of them".
On the plus side, if one is ever treated with respect, minimal delay and a correct outcome it gives almost as much of a rosy glow as a big lottery win - the odds are similar... :clap:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:54 am

I tend to agree with carrowcrin, Calling people stupid is counter productive. People here aren't any more stupid than anywhere else.
The Spanish are on a different wavelength to us. Bureaucracy is overbearing but in many cases they can't see that the alternatives might produce better results.

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 pm

What you have to remember is that these people have no need to know how there own systems work as once they are in the job it is for life & they are unsackable. Very few attempt even to offer the slightest assistance, even to there own countrymen ! Believe me I've seen it & had to sort it out . It defies belief how unhelpful they can be. :shock:
As for understanding the system I do & the EU requirements that work alongside. Unfortunately the Spanish have no interest in how the rules apply in the Spanish system let alone Eu rules ! :lolno:

As POR says to come across a helpful one is like a lottery win .
Todos somos Lorca.