Motorhome and Caravan Parking

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
EdX20
Andalucia.com Amigo

Motorhome and Caravan Parking

Postby EdX20 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:39 pm

This is probably one for Mr Searl.

I know there is a law that says you can't free/wild camp within 2km of a camp site (although this law doesn't seem to be enforced), and Section 33.5 of the Law of the Coasts says no driving or camping on a beach (note: ON a beach as opposed to the approach and parking areas), but what under which law(s) are Local Police or Guardia Civil empowered to ask/demand that vehicular campers "move on"? I have even heard of cases of people being fined for the heinous crime of eating their lunch using folding table and chairs outside, or having an awning extended.

Mobile dwellers are generally the tidiest, quietest, most considerate people you can ever meet, most are middle-aged and retired couples or singles without children and any dogs are generally well-behaved and quiet. Some of these motorhomes cost upwards of £100K so we're not talking about gypsies or "New Age Travellers" here. Contrast this with locals (usually younger ones on summer weekends) who often arrive, sometimes after midnight, at the same sort of quiet spots favoured by campers and they will play their loud music, maybe get drunk and leave behind a "silhouette" of rubbish that was chucked out of the car windows. Even if litter bins are within arm's reach they appear never to use them. So it seems odd that the mobile folk are often treated as if they were some kind of criminals, rather than welcomed as visiting tourists, by the law enforcement brigade while serial litterers and disturbers of the peace (and sometimes drug-takers/dealers) seem to be left alone.

Any enlightenment would be welcome.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

Re: Motorhome and Caravan Parking

Postby Julie » Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:10 pm

When we had our motor homes, I was told by Spanish police that we could park where any car parked so long as we did not use chairs horning etc and didn't appear to be camping living where we were parked, as for how people behave, well that's personal opinion, we saw lots of motor homers behaving badly :( they park on car parks and outside peoples homes, erect there tables and chairs etc, I for one would not want that outside my house in the UK or abroad.
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Motorhome and Caravan Parking

Postby Enrique » Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:06 pm

Hi EdX20,
"This is probably one for Mr Searl."....unfortunately David's last post was 22 Nov 2011.... :?: :(
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.