New ID Card for Foreigners

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Unicorn
Resident

New ID Card for Foreigners

Postby Unicorn » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi

I have heard talk of a new ID card being issue to foreigners to replace the photoless green bit of paper.

This may be just so much guff, but does anyone know anything about it?

I use my driving licence for ID but a card similar to the one before would be handy.

Thanks

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: New ID Card for Foreigners

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:47 pm

There was an article in the Daily Telegraph about it but I have not been able to find anything else to substantiate the claim.

http://my.telegraph.co.uk/expat/annanic ... n-majorca/

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:09 pm

I guess it is an ears to the ground situation, as ever.

I also hear tell, as you do, that the police are getting stickier about people using UK diriving licences. I used my UK one until it ran out then got a Spanish one. People should check their Uk ones as they do run out. There are apparently many in UK whose have run out.

That, of course, is round here. Different elsewhere I suppose.

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:08 pm

I still use my, now defunct, British ID card. I was an early adopter when they were first introduced in the UK and later cancelled by Cameron (spit). At least I still get some value for my £30 outlay. The Spanish usually look very impressed by it or else mystified but it has never been rejected.
Brian.

Mike.M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Mike.M » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:30 pm

Hi Unicorn,

Why are they getting in a tizz about a UK license. because the logo on the 'card' part clearly shows it's a European license issued in the UK?

Not trying to make a point but genuinely perplexed.

Mike

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:47 pm

The Guardia make up the rules to suit themselves. A valid UK licence is valid in Spain but as Unicorn pointed out, there are many UK licence holders that think their licences are valid until they are 70 when in fact a UK photocard licence is only valid for 10 years.

Sid

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:32 pm

No Sid , a slight correction. The Photo is only valid for 10 years,the licence is valid until age 70.
A UK licence is valid,in the UK & once test passed, without you ever having to be in possession of one.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:05 pm

Yes the photo is valid for 10 years and your entitlement to drive is valid until 70 but driving without renewing the photo is illegal both in the UK and Spain. There is a £1000 fine in the UK.

The expiry date is shown on both UK and Spanish licences in the 4b category and on UK licences this is the date that the photo has to be renewed. In Spain you must produce your licence if asked.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:39 pm

I thought it wasn't a requirement to carry it with you these days. If stopped, there are 10 days to produce it at a police station.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:06 pm

markwilding wrote:I thought it wasn't a requirement to carry it with you these days. If stopped, there are 10 days to produce it at a police station.
That certainly applies to ID cards/passports but I don't think it applies to the licence. I could be wrong but I did hear of a case where someone was fined for not having it.

Either way it is pretty silly to drive without it or at least a certified copy - I for one don't wish to argue the point with the Guardia as they will almost certainly find another reason to fine you.

Sid

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm

To be quite honest, I always carry mine too so I've never had the opportunity to test the theory.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:42 pm

markwilding wrote:To be quite honest, I always carry mine too so I've never had the opportunity to test the theory.
Absolutely - why make life potentially difficult when it can easily be avoided.

That's the prime reason for changing a UK licence for a Spanish one - sad but true.

Tranquillo!

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:04 pm

I think that the point is that many people obtain a UK new licence when thay are in fact living here. When mine ran out I looked atthe UK option and I would have had to lie and say I was at a UK address so I got a Spanish one.
I only report what I hear not what is either logical, obvious or anything else. I know that one person was stopped and given 20 minutes to go home and get their licence or the car would be siezed.
Personally I think anything for an easy life. There is no arguing with the Guardia or Police.
Fines are very common at the moment so I would rather carry the documents, stop at stop signs and not park in bus stops (and muzzle the dog). And carry reflective jackets, and a breakdown sign, and spare lights and all the rest.
Feet up, job done.

John & Kath
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby John & Kath » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:12 pm

rafiki wrote:I still use my, now defunct, British ID card. I was an early adopter when they were first introduced in the UK and later cancelled by Cameron (spit). At least I still get some value for my £30 outlay. The Spanish usually look very impressed by it or else mystified but it has never been rejected.
SNAP so do I never been questioned yet even used it once to come through passport control at our airport but don't push my luck theses days!
COSTA ESURI RESIDENTS ASSOCIATION

http://costaesuriresidentsassociation.yolasite.com/

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:17 am

El Cid wrote:Yes the photo is valid for 10 years and your entitlement to drive is valid until 70 but driving without renewing the photo is illegal both in the UK and Spain. There is a £1000 fine in the UK.

The expiry date is shown on both UK and Spanish licences in the 4b category and on UK licences this is the date that the photo has to be renewed. In Spain you must produce your licence if asked.

Sid
It is not a police offence in the UK. It is a civil offence that has to be taken to court by the dvla. No one in the UK has ever been prosecuted yet . I subscribe to numerous uk based car forums & there are hundreds on there that refuse to renew. One bloke regulary asks the dvla when they are proposing to start legal proceedings & nothing has happened for the last 9 years !

yes it is 'illegal' to use an out of date photocard UK licence in Spain as the UK has convinced the EU/spain that the date is the date of expiry of the licence . Which is patently illegal & untrue.
El Cid wrote:
markwilding wrote:I thought it wasn't a requirement to carry it with you these days. If stopped, there are 10 days to produce it at a police station.
That certainly applies to ID cards/passports but I don't think it applies to the licence. I could be wrong but I did hear of a case where someone was fined for not having it.

Either way it is pretty silly to drive without it or at least a certified copy - I for one don't wish to argue the point with the Guardia as they will almost certainly find another reason to fine you.

Sid
yes that is correct for ID/passports but does not apply to your driving licence which must be carried when you are driving.

The EU/Spanish requirement is that you can use your UK or foreign driving licence until it expires & requires renewal when it must be changed for a Spanish one OR it has to be changed within 2 years of registering as resident.
That was from the dgt site recently which is what the 'standardised EU licence' regulations required all countries to have implemented by 19th january 2013.
Todos somos Lorca.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:45 am

gus-lopez wrote:
The EU/Spanish requirement is that you can use your UK or foreign driving licence until it expires & requires renewal when it must be changed for a Spanish one OR it has to be changed within 2 years of registering as resident. .
The EU rule that you have to exchange it within 2 years of becoming a resident only applies to licences that do not have a defined renewal date. UK licences have a defined validity so it does not apply to them.

This 2 year rule was incorrectly published in many of the free papers and has caused great confusion.

Sid

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:49 am

I like an easy life.
Isn't it simpler just to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish licence?
Then no arguments/ problems with the police or anybody else. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:16 pm

gerryh wrote:I like an easy life.
Isn't it simpler just to exchange your UK licence for a Spanish licence?
Then no arguments/ problems with the police or anybody else. :think:
Cheers
Gerry
Thus speaks the voice of sanity :thumbup:

Sid

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:57 am

I thnk one of the problems for expats is that we often just 'hear' about things. Especially things that enable us to be legal. If anyone knows where all this info may be available let us know. I speak Spanish but the Spanish do not know either. My neighbours have their property for sale but have not bothered to get an energy certificate, and did not even know about it until I told them. I would love to know how many foreigners v. Spanish have done the certificate.
The English language newspapers have information but it is not always accurate and advice in a bar almost never is!
This forum is good because you get a selection of responses, but Spanish law seems to be being made all the time and seems always to be associated with henious fines. The fine for not having an energy certificate is alot of money per day, I would be interested to know if anyone has been fined yet I do wonder if we expats are a bit of a target, but maybe I'm just being paranoid. But every day my poor dog is muzzled, on a lead, and I see countless locals with 2 or 3 dogs loose on the street.
Is there a reliable place for solid information, does anyone know?

gus-lopez
Resident

Postby gus-lopez » Fri Dec 20, 2013 7:56 pm

It doesn't matter if the information is solid, reliable & most importantly legally correct , if the 17 regions interpret it differently & the people entrusted to implement it haven't any idea. :(
Todos somos Lorca.