pensioners working

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
eveyon
Andalucia.com Amigo

pensioners working

Postby eveyon » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:11 pm

I have been told by a Spanish neighbour that it is illegal for a pensioner to do any sort of work,paid or unpaid, even if theyare working in their own house. We are only in receipt of uUK state pensions. Nothing from Spain. Does anyone know if this is correct?

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: pensioners working

Postby gerryh » Wed Mar 05, 2014 6:17 pm

I sincerely hope that this is not correct.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Unicorn
Resident

Postby Unicorn » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:19 pm

I have heard of people not being able to get Spanish pensions if they are still working. I could be wrong but that may be what they are on about.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:51 pm

I don´t know any Spanish Pensioners who don't do some kind of work, many of the ex-agricultural workers only get small pensions , so need to work to subsidise their pension...

You do need to declare income on your tax returns, and that's about it !

Obviously if you were setting up a full time business you would need to get a Gestor to advise you, all cases are different.

Regards,
Gordon.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:16 am

I have been a pensioner for some years and still work, I send in my tax returns and pay tax annually. I do not need an autonomo to work now, as far as I know, but my husband has one, he is not a pensioner.
This is all compiled through the fiscal department of my lawyers and the lawyers are fully aware of my situation and would have advised me differently had this not been the case. I checked with them several years ago, hoping I could give up on annual payments, due to my advanced years :lol: .
So, as far as I know, a pensioner can work for others without paying autonomo but should declare earning on tax returns annually. When inspectors visit a site to check autonomos, I know from a friend that this is ok for the pensioner to be on site and excused autonomo.

eveyon
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby eveyon » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:46 am

I didn't think she was right as no one in our village had heard of it. OH was working on our roof terrace at the time so obviously not getting paid for it. Thanks for all the helpful information.I can now stop worrying about him being hauled off to gaol Eve

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Mar 06, 2014 7:06 pm

Don't take too much notice of what some people tell you, unless it's someone on this forum. :thumbup:
A nutty neighbour of mine told me that in the campo, where we live , it was against the law for me to do any work on a Saturday morning. :roll:
Does your neighbour have a relative who she thinks you should pay to do the work your OH was doing?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:05 pm

We were told that Spanish pensioners cannot work once they are retired. Something about State employees in receipt of a Government pension cannot be reemployed by the Government ... unlike some other countries where people get a lump sum, a pension AND another job in another Government dept. :crazy:

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:10 pm

That rule also applies in the UK Civil Service in that if you are re-employed in any Government Dept you cannot earn more in salary plus Government pension than you would have earned in salary alone. Should you do so then your Civil Service pension is abated accordingly.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:33 pm

Well, that's answered the OP's question, then. :thumbup:

infoseeker
Resident

Postby infoseeker » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:05 pm

Judging by some of the gold plated civil service pensions some receive, why would they even want to work once a pensioner?
Some would call it greed!

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:38 pm

Some also might call it jealousy. :lol:

Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky recipients of a 'gold plated pension', and I choose to do some work not just for some extra money but to keep from getting bored and to keep my brain from addling.
I actually enjoyed most of my work through my life and worked from age 15 to 65 years ( without a break ) and the thought of playing golf or sitting at home reading sends shivers down my spine.
I'm thinking of going part-time when and if I reach 85.. :lol:

Ps...I am also quite involved in doing voluntary work without pay...and have done for many years...

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:40 pm

Lavanda wrote:We were told that Spanish pensioners cannot work once they are retired. Something about State employees in receipt of a Government pension cannot be reemployed by the Government ... unlike some other countries where people get a lump sum, a pension AND another job in another Government dept. :crazy:
I think it is called The National Health Service.

anyroads