Location of Septic tank

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
galerabrian

Location of Septic tank

Postby galerabrian » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:09 pm

Hi, I looking for information regarding septic tanks, this is not relating to my property but to a Spanish builder who is erecting a new house at the rear of mine. He has excavated a large hole ready to receive three large concrete rings, my problem is the excavation is about 2mts from my boundary fence. Has anyone got any information relating to the location of a septic tank. Firstly I have been informed that the concrete rings are not legal, also as its close to my fence I do not wish for any bad smells in the summer months.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Re: Location of Septic tank

Postby Enrique » Tue Dec 09, 2014 1:40 pm

Hi galerabrian,

Welcome to The Forum............................. :D

"receive three large concrete rings"..........THAT'S NOT A SEPTIC TANK SYSTEM.

That's a Black Hole.......Pozo- Negro...........and some would say illegal under current regs........ :evil:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:40 pm

The three rings could be for any soak-away....such as for rainwater and as is done in the UK (or used to be so done).......but I suspect you're correct it's for "black" water and, as Enrique says, probably illegal.
nil illegitimum carborundum

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:51 pm

As it is a "new" build it should have Plans so ask to see them...........I can't see them approving a Pozo Negro .

If it was a soak away ,sounds to big for that.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Martin Page
Resident

Postby Martin Page » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:37 pm

If your concerned - Denounce the builder NOW ..... not when its too late !

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:55 pm

Three rings sound like a soakaway, even the Spanish "usually" go for a minimun of 5 with a pozo negro but ACT QUICKLY ; you need to know!!!!!!! Denuncia might cause unecessary aggrevation but one sounds very likely PDQ. Especially as you must be downhill from the site.

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:14 pm

What is your location Galerabrian as then we may be able to help with more accurate info?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:42 pm

I'm guessing he's called Brian and is from Galera... :wink:
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

barry
Resident

Postby barry » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:56 pm

Me as well and if that is the case he lives in the next village to us and we might be able to help.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:05 pm

Be very careful! Even if it is a septic tank. We had to have our Pozo Negro replaced this summer and they installed a "standard" septic tank this summer. I had the installation and the tank inspected by independent technicos after installation, and "all was declared well".

IT WAS NOT! Within 4 weeks and when the wind was in the right direction we got a lungful of unsavoury smells - not every day but enough to make it unpleasant (it was installed about 4 or 5 metres away form the house. Their response? Oh yes sometimes you do get a smell.

When I demanded a solution I was given the option of moving the thing nearer to my Neighbour! I told them to stick it, take away the tank at their cost and install a fully sealed unit with an electic pump that is guaranteed NOT to smell. I think the cost was nearer 3,500€ than 1,400€ but well worth it. I have since heard "stink" stories from others who have them near their property. I would stress that if the tank is 20 or 30 metres from the property it probably is not a problem. 5 metres away, IT CERTAINLY WAS!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:58 pm

Nearish where I live a JCB has been digging a big hole, 4 concrete rings have now been lowered into the hole.
It seems it's going to be yet another illegal pozo negra.
Worryingly it has been situated fairly near the well that supplies the house with water. :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Dec 31, 2014 12:56 pm

We've always had pozo negros here and they have never been a problem. They have been completely sealed so we've never been able to empty them but they seem to work OK.

The plastic septic tanks (the proper ones as described above) always seem to smell. Our neighbour's one is about 150m away well down the hill but when they first come out and start using it we can smell it if the wind's in our direction (which it usually is :thumbdown: ). Over the last 25 years we've had houses (in 3 different countries) with septic tanks of all different designs but never had the type of smelly problem these plastic ones installed here give out.