Sewage still charged although on septic tank?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Sewage still charged although on septic tank?

Postby ebbnflow » Thu Dec 10, 2015 8:02 pm

A curious one this;

We installed a modern septic tank 6 years ago to replace a discovered pozo nego. (We previously thought we were on the village sewage sytem as we were charged for it)
Our sewage system/alcantarillado is a separate charge to our water supply/abastecimiento de aguas.

After installation a "baja" was logged at the town hall. For several years afterwards a back-and-forth existed between us and the town hall for them charging for what we didn't have, i.e. mains sewage ("alcantarillado"). Last year we approached the hacienda via our asesoría and had the intervening years worth of charges wiped off the system.
I returned to the town to re-register the baja, apparently it did not show on the system and was supposedly done this time.
I have received new bills this year for yet more sewage system/alcantarillado. On approaching the town hall this time they say "Although your baja is registered you must still pay for sewage because you receive mains water". On pointing out that the charges are clearly made separately, a confused look was followed by "that's the rules".

Is this correct? I ask as our town hall have had their facts wrong so many times I've lost count!

knowal
Resident

Re: Sewage still charged although on septic tank?

Postby knowal » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:50 pm

As far as I recall they changed the rules about 2014. Galasa charged us for sewage from that time on, even though we were not connected.
They could do this, apparently, because our pozo negro was illegal (although it was not in 1995 when connected up) and we now had mains pipes in the street which we COULD connect to, but at our own expense.
I felt robbed through my water bill from then on.
I also felt robbed by my Endesa bill which charged tax on taxes, but that's another story...

TorreDelAguila
Resident

Postby TorreDelAguila » Sat Dec 12, 2015 6:39 pm

White Horse wrote: I also felt robbed by my Endesa bill which charged tax on taxes, but that's another story...
Us too. A year or so ago I actually went to the trouble of asking the Brussels tax and consumer office whether it was legal for Member States to charge IVA/VAT on government (environmental) taxes. Received a rapid reply: It is, but it's up to the individual state.
Do wonder, though, whether Endesa actually render up this bit of IVA . . .
Chris

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:14 pm

Yes TDA, charging tax on top of tax is seriously extracting the urine.

ebbnflow
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ebbnflow » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:32 am

Thanks WH, annoying but probably correct. I was hoping for a difinitive answer from someone in the know but I guess experience of similar should be OK. The only discrepancy here, as I've found out, is that I cannot connect to the main sewer at all as there is no provision nearby, that makes it doubly "rip off".