Letter from my bank

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Re: Letter from my bank

Postby Alcala Barry » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:58 am

Had similar recently. I also received a text from the bank as well!
Once I spoke to them (Unicaja) they explained that they were obliged by law to request me to provide evidence of income. They said if I popped in with the relevant paperwork it would all be sorted very quickly. I went in to see them with necessary documents and I was out again within ten minutes.
Out of interest, while the internet banking site claimed our account had been blocked etc - it had not and we could use the account as normal.

I thought that it was pretty reasonable of them to ask for evidence of income, proving I was able to live here unassisted and not living of crates of cash from a recent bank job or similar!

Regards to all

Terry Tibbs
Resident

Postby Terry Tibbs » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:03 pm

Alcala Barry wrote:I thought that it was pretty reasonable of them to ask for evidence of income, proving I was able to live here unassisted and not living of crates of cash from a recent bank job or similar!
So this wasn't your work then?? ;-)

http://www.elrinconhabla.com/articulo/s ... 04260.html

Alcala Barry
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alcala Barry » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:31 am

Nothing to do with me guv ... honest!

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:03 pm

What was blocked was cash withdrawals and deposits. Direct debits and standing orders were honoured.

Funnily enough, after sorting it all out, I received my first email from Unicaja - telling me my account would be blocked unless I presented evidence of earnings!! I emailed back what I had done and got a reply saying oops!

I agree the process takes ten minutes but in the Berja branch of Unicaja the average wait unless you get in at 08:30 is about twenty minutes.

linne
Tourist

Postby linne » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:43 pm

It's a little late to answer this topic but I just want to tell our experience.

We - non resident- sold our small finca in March this year , but when the first amount had to be paid, the lawyer could not put money into our account in Unicaja. He was told that our account was blocked. We haven't heard anything at all from the bank, so we send an email and asked the bank about the reason. The answer was that they couldn't open the account, before we came and showed them our passports and documentation for our income. We were very upset, because we didn't know why, and we had been customers for 40 years. So we wrote an angry answer. Then we got the explanation, so we could see that the rule was for all and not only for us. The problem was solved, when we arrived to Spain. For us it was not enough to send the information in an email.

We can see now that Unicaja has handled this matter in different ways. It's very unprofessional of Unicaja!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 am

Thread resurrection. Went to our bank (Unicaja) last week to get copies of utility bills which were needed to market the house.
Got that sorted and as we were leaving were told " Oh and by the way your account will be blocked shortly".........thanks a bunch :mrgreen:

Typical Spain, not a kiss my @rse or anything. Plenty of Unicaja sales crap gets sent to us in England but not the forms they've given us to fill in which we are trying to de-cipher now.

We raided the account anyway before we left so they can block away until their heart is content if they get the urge.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.