Illegal Wells ( pozos)

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
malcolm_lake
Tourist

Illegal Wells ( pozos)

Postby malcolm_lake » Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:29 pm

Following the recent tragic events in Totalan the central government and the regional authorities are asking the public to report suspected cases of illegal drilling of wells so they can be investigated and inspected to see if they comply with all aspects of the law.
My neighbor has a well on the outside/road side of his property boundary which I am sure was illegally drilled in early 2000.
My question is who do I report this to ?
My other question is how do I find out if he has registered the well in his name - as he is required to do by law - and if he is paying the yearly fee on the well - again as he is required to do by law.
Awaiting any answers anybody has with keen interest

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Illegal Wells ( pozos)

Postby costakid » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:12 pm

What happened in Totalan was horrific but reporting your neighbour who i guess is Spanish is the quickest way to get black balled in your local area.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:29 pm

I agree with Costakid. I have posted many times on how many illegal wells are being drilled. Regardless we are foreigners here even if you were here for sixty years. They could easily make life difficult for you. Ignore it. Instead foster relations.

We dont pay a yearly fee for our well which is legal. One easy way to tell if a well is legal is that the owner fits a meter which is located as near to the well head as is practical and has its own unique number associated with the well and was at zero when supplied. They cost about 85 euros. Crucially it must be visible and accessable to be read if Hidrografia wanted to without an appointment. In other words not locked away out of sight.

Did I mention, ignore his well legality or otherwise. Let sleeping dogs lie.

jhonie99
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jhonie99 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Totally disagree!!

We have a duty to report corruption and dishonesty. By not doing so, you are just as bad as them. Spaniards operate on the premise that I won't tell on you if you don't tell on me. Hence the reason that the country has such a problem. It's never one individual, they're all in it together.

Don't be concerned about being liked. Spaniards are geniuses at pretending to like people. They'll shake your hand and chat away happily with you and then poison your cat or steal your land when your back is turned, etc.

The judicial system is packed to the rafters with friend suing friend, relative suing relative, neighbour suing neighbour. Outsiders simply are not connected enough to know what's going on. The number of court cases is staggering, with MAdrid, Andalucia and Canarias being the leaders (officially).

So, if you see something potentially illegal going on, denounce it because if you don't denounce it the problem doesn't exist.

In this case, I suggest either Seprona or APMUN. But there may be some other organisation in your part of the world.

P.S. when we dug a hole in the ground, Guardia Civil came around uninvited a week later, claiming that they saw it from the helicopter and wondered what it was. In reality a neighbour denounced us!! we had all the paperwork, hahahahahaha.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:51 pm

And i disagree with you. Most people who move to Spain are here for an easy life. Its not like turning a blind eye to a massive drug deal or a murder. If they have an illegal well they are obviously in the campo. Why would you want to alienate yourself from everyone. Smile and be nice. If you were in a City it wouldn’t be so much of a problem but in a little village it is.