First actual problem re:Brexit

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: First actual problem re:Brexit

Postby Lavanda » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:22 am

I don’t like the name MasterCard.

Agree. What's wrong with MistressCard? Or something neutral like SpendingCard?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:29 am

I had a classmate at school whose surname was Bates. You can imagine...!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Sep 24, 2020 12:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:26 pm

Beachcomber wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:29 am I had a classmate at school whose surname was Bates. You can imagine...!
I worked with a guy in the nineties whose surname was Head, his parents christened him Richard....

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:57 pm

Do others have a credit card with their bank? I do and it works slightly different from the typical UK one because It works in a calendar month and automatically takes payment on the the first of the month for all transaction made the previous month. Whereas my UK cards when timed right can give me almost 7 weeks free credit.
I used to have a Spanish Barclaycard which has now changed to a company called Wizink, which works more similar to the UK cards I have and gives up to around 6 weeks free credit and is free so might be a good option .
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:06 pm

I have a Repsol Maxima credit card that Sabadell provide for free. I get a percentage off all purchases from the Repsol station and as you say Mark, the payment comes out of the bank at the beginning of each month for the previous month's purchases.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:30 pm

markwilding wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 2:57 pm Do others have a credit card with their bank? I do and it works slightly different from the typical UK one because It works in a calendar month and automatically takes payment on the the first of the month for all transaction made the previous month. Whereas my UK cards when timed right can give me almost 7 weeks free credit.
I used to have a Spanish Barclaycard which has now changed to a company called Wizink, which works more similar to the UK cards I have and gives up to around 6 weeks free credit and is free so might be a good option .
Our credit cards from sabadell work the same, automatically cleared at the end of each month. More like a delayed debit card. Not sure if the credit card gives more protection than using the debit card.

Having said that my wife received a card which i think is cleared over 3 months with 3 payments.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:43 pm

In the UK the Debit Visa/Mastercard seems to be protected in a similar way to credit cards. You can make a claim for a repayment if you do not receive goods or services paid for by these debit cards. Not sure if that applies to the Spanish versions.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Thu Sep 24, 2020 4:23 pm

Our NW debit cards are MasterCard. They are still offering non-resident accounts.

Sid

Lyric
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lyric » Thu Sep 24, 2020 6:01 pm

There seems to be a move away from Visa, my NatWest CC is in the post they advise changing to MC although my two DC are still Visa and just issued.
My Nationwide DC is Visa.
I have three cards on the Sabadell account, a MC debit and two Mastercards one which takes the full balance at months end and one which divides the debt into three equal monthly payments.

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:22 am

Both Nationwide and Co-Op bank gave me non committal answers as regarding closing current accounts. They both said they would advise if any change well in advance so I suspect accounts will not be closed.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Sep 27, 2020 8:10 pm

Nationwide told me that they had no plans to close accounts right now but would see what the government was doing so, yes, I also hope for no change.

poppy1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby poppy1 » Sun Sep 27, 2020 11:38 pm

"casita-bonita wrote:
Our credit cards from sabadell work the same, automatically cleared at the end of each month. More like a delayed debit card. Not sure if the credit card gives more protection than using the debit card.

If you go into your online banking with Sabadell you can change the payment option to either paying a fixed amount or a percentage of the balance each month. The default is the whole amount.

Poppy

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:45 am

Well explained, Poppy. Thanks.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Thu Oct 01, 2020 7:10 pm

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.mone ... sures/amp/

Martin lewis money saving expert site has a page about the closures with a table of banks updated with info as and when

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 02, 2020 6:43 am

Brilliant link with clear information. Thanks, Elusive.

morlandg
Resident

Postby morlandg » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:10 am

firsttango wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:26 pm
Beachcomber wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:29 am I had a classmate at school whose surname was Bates. You can imagine...!
I worked with a guy in the nineties whose surname was Head, his parents christened him Richard....
There was a butcher lived in our village called Hunt. He called his son Mark....

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Oct 02, 2020 11:01 am

Has been a few comments on Revolut bank. Saw an article this morning that their clients in Ireland are being transferred to a Lithuanian bank due to passporting reasons.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/revolut-i ... ia-1084522

bobdun
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bobdun » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:08 am

From personal experience yesterday we are currently in the UK and attended our local Barclays branch to change my wife's address to Spain on our joint account. Mine is already changed to Spanish address. All went well initially, no problem using Spanish address and debit card etc could be sent out etc. Then the computer said NO? I said my address was down as Spain. The lady went to speak to a supervisor and came back saying it would need one address to be uk , was there one we could use? Yes our daughters, no problem but the computer still said NO. Another chat with supervisor who explained that both addresses need to be UK based. Only way was to also change mine to our daughters. I mentioned I had heard of an issue re Barclaycard but thought Bank Accounts were OK? He said that was the case initially but they are now starting to inform account holders living in UK they may close accounts or you can arrange an international account with them. They were I will add very helpful and quite happy for us to use our daughters address as a care of address, we do online banking so not an issue really.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Oct 16, 2020 9:14 am

That is interesting bobdun. However, if we put our residential address as one in the UK, and I could use that of my parents, would that not interfere with our residential status in Spain? I'm not sure now is the right time to become non-resident in Spain. Maybe, for you, the international account would be the better option?

Beachcomber will know.