First actual problem re:Brexit

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Re: First actual problem re:Brexit

Postby Lavanda » Sun Sep 20, 2020 2:51 pm

The Daily Mail, last with the latest ...
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... rules.html

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Sep 20, 2020 4:49 pm

Thanks. Everytime i read an article its more depressing . You just think its one hurdle after enough.

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:05 pm

Hola,

As I said to a friend the other day, "I have never felt so unsettled as I do now" I don't know if it is the effects of Brexit, COVID-19 or a combination but normally I would have plans for things to do like holidays etc. at least 6 months ahead. I now have nothing at all planned or booked.

How does everyone else feel?

Davexf

rafiki
Resident

Postby rafiki » Sun Sep 20, 2020 7:21 pm

Exactly as you do!
Last edited by rafiki on Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:19 pm

What is getting at me is the way that everything that is not working like it should is being blamed on the pandemic. You cannot buy a garden chair, or a shed, or a face-to-face appointment with a doctor, Citizens’ Advice office, a flight to/from where you want, when you want it....the list goes on.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:43 pm

I feel it's all a bit of a mess made worse by the confusion generated by the 'experts'. For us, here, in Spain, it seems like there are the limitations and problems of Covid-19 PLUS the Brexit things coming to a head while the world is patas arriba with the usual climate change, war, famine, injustices and inept world leaders spouting rubbish. So, yes, Davexf, it's unsettling.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:07 am

Agree, it is all a mess...more confusion and rules than you can shake a stick at..Brexit is another subject and the oven ready Bojo deal that never was is being over shadowed by the virus.....My concerns are not about being infected with a virus because i can do what i can to try and avoid that but i can't do anything to stop the damage it may well do to my own families incomes, that is out of my hands..Not knowing where the end of the tunnel is feels very frustrating and is unsettling.
I also share Peters frustrations and i do think the pandemic is being used as a convenient excuse by many..
I really don't like this snitch on your neighbour idea which is being drummed into the nation by our gov making people suspicious and having to watch their backs..They are creating a bigger mess and the divisions which they will cause amongst people will take years to heal long after this virus has gone.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:38 am

peteroldracer wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 8:19 pm What is getting at me is the way that everything that is not working like it should is being blamed on the pandemic. You cannot buy a garden chair, or a shed, or a face-to-face appointment with a doctor, Citizens’ Advice office, a flight to/from where you want, when you want it....the list goes on.
The new normal. The whole world is affected. Making plastic chairs in China may be back to normal but they have still have to be transported across the world. Workers are furloughed or laid off or self isolating . My suggestion to everyone is make a list of what you NEED for the next twelve months and try and get it now. Things aren’t about to get better anytime soon.

I had a telephone appointment with my doctor on Friday morning at 10.18 to organise a hospital appointment for the one in March that got cancelled. After two hours waiting, I suspected that he maybe was trying our old Movistar landline so turned up at the surgery. Nurse was seeing a smaller number of patients than normal and was spray disinfecting after each one. Doctor saw me and sorted me out within ten minutes. Obviously I apologised for turning up on spec and asked him how he was managing. He was running late . Less staff available and more responsibilities.

Flights? How long do you think airlines can continue with vastly reduced business. Especially with folk demanding their money back for cancelled flights. Perhaps we should all donate money to keep them afloat

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:19 am

"Flights? How long do you think airlines can continue with vastly reduced business. Especially with folk demanding their money back for cancelled flights. Perhaps we should all donate money to keep them afloat?"

Neither of my easyjet flights between Madrid and Bristol were cancelled but the daily service is now down to just two days; Friday and Sunday, either side of the weekend. Although my flight coming back had few people on it there was a good group of people waiting to board in Madrid. I think if airlines can fly, and break even, they will keep going as long as they can. However, like so many other tourist and business related industries I suspect that their future will look very different from even last year.

Some UK newspapers are banging on about where to go for the October half term break. Newspapers, too, are related to the travel industry and write advertorials. Most of the comments, across all the press, is that students should stay at school to make up for the suspended classes of the last six months. That's a good point. However, there is governmental talk of an enforced two week half term to allow a national lockdown.

I like the fact that Spain does not have half terms. As an ex-teacher i can remember just about getting the students down to a pattern of work and gelling the group when along comes the October half term. They should be abolished as some archaic thing of the past, in my view.

knowal
Resident

Postby knowal » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:59 am

Santander (UK) are also swapping out all cards from Visa to Mastercard. Not sure why.
This doesn't really explain it but I expect it's about saving the banks money.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:05 pm

Sabadell's debit cards are now Mastercard but I don't think this affects anything. As you say, it's maybe that their charges are cheaper than Visa.

I think it's up to individual banks to decide which EU country's British residents' accounts it closes down. From what I read about Lloyds it wasn't all EU countries that are affected. Hopefully some will see that they would lose a lot of business if they shut down all Spanish and French ex-pat accounts.

In answer to dxf I feel just the same. I am usually always planning trips for up to the next year and so feel very much at a loose end now. We are hoping for a few days away within Andalucia in autumn but I feel that I've lost my usual va va voom :(

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:15 pm

NatWest have changed OHs from Visa to MasterCard too. I already had MasterCard.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:18 pm

Yes, my Visa card was a credit card, my Mastercard is a debit card.

I think the Brexit complication is with credit, not debit cards. Using a credit card means that a UK bank is offering a "loan" outside of the UK. A debit card is not nearly so complicated - its just an electronic money transfer.

Sid

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:20 pm

Wicksey wrote: Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:05 pm

In answer to dxf I feel just the same. I am usually always planning trips for up to the next year and so feel very much at a loose end now. We are hoping for a few days away within Andalucia in autumn but I feel that I've lost my usual va va voom :(
Me too, love the planning and preparation. Lost 3 holidays this year, probably a 4th soon. In July Barbados did lots of PR saying they were open. So changed my credit with BA and booked for Nov. Looks a no no.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:31 pm

I agree Katy that the planning part is just as interesting. I was due to meet up with a girlfriend in Porto in June and we were both really looking forward to it. I'd spent quite a bit of time familiarising myself with the city, where to eat and what to see. My biggest disappointment is my lost cruise for next year and the fact that the company has gone into administration. They were well-priced and I don't think I can afford to go with another cruiseline, that's if there's any left running next summer. I don't even want to think that we may all be in the same position next year.

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Mon Sep 21, 2020 3:02 pm

From one of my regular daily reads:

https://www.politico.eu/article/brits-i ... es-report/
nil illegitimum carborundum

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Sep 21, 2020 4:06 pm

Instead of the U.K. government phaffing around with practically everything why don’t they start negotiate a few things, such as banking, for example? They don’t seem to have done anything on any level to prepare for 1st January 2021 and what they have agreed they are now unagreeing. Wrong thread, I know, sorry.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:34 pm

Totally agree Lavanda.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:50 pm

HSBC shares are at their lowest since 1995 Barclays has problems too. Be bad for our pensions in the long term.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/20 ... -chartered

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:52 pm

It is in the news today. Blaming the government for not sorting it out in the brexit negotiations.