Non-Resident 90 days in a rolling 180?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Re: Non-Resident 90 days in a rolling 180?

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:48 pm

At least something is working well at this moment in time Wicksey, now we just need to be able to get away without all the restrictions and obstacles, hopefully next year. :thumbup:

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:48 pm

Pamela1 wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:55 am I was hoping to get one last trip out of my passport before the year ended but that isn't going to happen, i had at least 7 months left on it but i thought now was as good a time as any to apply for a new one. I applied on line and went along to a photo booth in Tesco's for the pics, no need to send them in together with the old passport because i opted to have a copy of the pics sent to my email address and it was uploaded and attached to the application, very easy...I had my passport within a week of sending the application. :thumbup:
Is the new passport like our old ones from years ago?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:25 pm

I thought the having more than 10 years on your passport issue was only a problem if you travelled during the extra time on your passport? Eg you get you new p.port and its 10 years 6 months. But then you use it 6 months later so at the point of use its only has 10 years exactly on it :crazy: edit just read the below

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.moneys ... expec/amp/

According to the Schengen rules if you are from a 'third country', you need to have a passport issued in the last 10 years in order to travel to a Schengen country - and under the old rules, where time left on your passport was added to your new one, not everyone with a valid UK passport would have had their passport issued within the past ten years.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:53 pm

As long as you don't want to travel in the extra few months then it shouldn't be a problem.
Just renew it sometime during the extra few months and your new passport will only be valid for the required 10 years.
I have made a note not to travel during 23 Feb 2026 to 23 June 2026 and to renew my passport sometime during that period.
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:10 pm

costakid wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 2:48 pm
Is the new passport like our old ones from years ago?
Do you know what i can't remember, the inside is def different so its not exactly like it was..Must say though i prefer the one i just had to give up... :silent:

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:56 pm

gerryh wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:53 pm As long as you don't want to travel in the extra few months then it shouldn't be a problem.
Just renew it sometime during the extra few months and your new passport will only be valid for the required 10 years.
I have made a note not to travel during 23 Feb 2026 to 23 June 2026 and to renew my passport sometime during that period.
Cheers
Gerry
Yeah thats what i thought gerry. Its only a prob at a set time

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:16 pm

There is a Schengen calculator here:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

Any comments on its accuracy?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Dec 15, 2020 1:58 pm

I prefer this one as I got strange results with that one given some inputs. In any case worth a double check.

https://www.visa-calculator.com/

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:17 pm

I have tried several including that one and they all give different results. I don't know if it because the interpret the rules differently or if there is something amiss in the programming. Thankfully it doesn't affect me as a resident but I was trying to check for someone else.

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:29 pm

Oh what joy this will bring. And probably 70% of those affected are unaware of the calculations. I’ve used the checker to plan next years visits and then “sanity checked” by manually going back 180 days from the final day of each trip.

Shame I will no longer be able to do mid April to mid July and mid September to end October. Less than 6 months but forbidden overlaps.

Why can’t it just be 180 days in 360? But why would Schengen make anything easy for non residents.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi ashtondav

As you say, such a shame, but needs must......

We are similar, and have carefully planned a routine of five trips which gives us around 120 days in Schengen each calendar year, subject to Covid in 2021, but which complies with the 90/180 rolling days - mid to late February, early to mid April, mid May to mid June, mid July to mid August, and mid October to mid November. This also complies with the visits of those who must be obeyed - the fearsome grand daughters.......

But let's keep it all in perspective - there are lots of people who would love to have these problems..... We'll be ok.......

Stay Safe

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:00 pm

Hi vinuela vinny,

Having a "play" with the "calculators"......support desk is quiet here tonight.......... :D

Putting your "dates" {well Mid this to Mid that }....in , the mid-July to mid-August...........blows the numbers out. :( ...overstayed by 31 days. :!:

Answers on a postcard.......... :?:
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:00 pm

Thanks Enrique - the more brains we get on this, the better, and advice is always welcomed

My thinking was for our potential time in Spain (worked out on the back of an old envelope, not on an app)

Late February - say 15 days
Early April - say 15 days
Mid May to mid June - say 30 days
Mid July to mid August - say 30 days....... total say 90 days in 180 days (mid February to mid August)

Then by the time we return in mid October, the February and April dates have “dropped off “ so 30 more days mid October to mid November, and then we start all over again?

Have I gone wrong somewhere please?

Obviously we would need to be careful with flight dates and to give ourselves some capacity for cancellations etc, but that seemed to work, but any advice seriously welcomed..........

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:16 pm

Hi vinuela vinny,

I''l post a screen shot tomorrow.. looks confusing........ my systems are closing for maintenance now.............Good night.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Re: Non-Resident 90 days in a rolling 1800

Postby El Cid » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:38 pm

The 90 day rule has been in existence for many years. The thing is that it was ignored as no one policed it. Even before the EU it was 90 days, but people got round that by leaving Spain for 24 hours as the 180 day rule only came in later.

Sid

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:19 am

You used to get a 'permanencia' after 90 days and once you had two permanencias you got a residencia but it didn't carry the same tax implications as it does now.

I have tried five of those calculators including an Android app and they all give different results. They are OK up until the end of the first 180 days but as soon as that has passed they just fall to pieces and results can be drastically different. My own pencil and paper calculations don't agree with any of them.

There is also an EU one but that looks even more complicated and you have to type it all in manually rather than just click on a date.

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:09 am

Hi,
Using vinny's example and ashtondav's calculator.

Having a problem Posting.........back later

Later........

So although vinny has "booked" 90 days he finds he has still 15 days left on his last trip......... due to the rolling Rule.
Makes for a good exam question............. :crazy:

Beachcomber what would you get with pencil and paper............ :?:

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:35 pm

In that example I get virtually the same, maybe one day less. It is when you get further into the year that the difficulties start.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:51 pm

Thanks Enrique and Beach - very grateful for your input

I see that the app calculation example has been based on two weeks in Schengen early February, which I agree would give us 15 days still available in mid August, as those early February dates 'drop-off'. But my original post was to be in Schengen for two weeks in late February, which would take us much closer to the 90 days in the rolling 180...... (Note that the late February trip was planned to accommodate the grand daughters half term from St Trinians :crazy: )......

But the principle remains that either schedule is possible based on both the app calculations and my 'back of an enveope' scrawl...... But in all cases, care needs to be taken not to exceed the permitted criteria

Thank you all again for your input

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:58 pm

I have put those figures into an app that I have downloaded. The result is the same. Fifteen days left but, as I said, it is only when you start entering dates for later in the year that the discrepancies become apparent.