Non-Resident 90 days in a rolling 180?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Non-Resident 90 days in a rolling 180?

Postby elusive » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:46 pm

costakid wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:53 pm The cheapest PCR test I could find was £99. I was online and calling private clinics all afternoon yesterday. The £99 is a 72 hour turn around so a bit too close to travel. A company in Stevenage are charging £170 for 48 hour service.
Boots are doing them for £120 at selected stores. Half the battle is making sure its a legit clinic

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:51 pm

vinuela vinny wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:25 pm
katy wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:58 pm Another article in Telegraph today if able to read it. Mainly covers people's comments. Interesting comments about the comments too. One good point was that if it is so important to stay longer why not get a 6 months Visa. Some blame Theresa May for agreeing to allow 180 days in UK in the withdrawal agreement without obtaining reciprocal arrangements (she has obviously never done a business deal)'
But, Hey lets not turn this into another Brexit thread, we have left . Has been useful up to now without sarcastic comments

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advi ... gniter-rhr
Sorry, but I can't access the DT without paying their subs, even on these links......

Can you explain please your reference to a "six month" visa? My limited research didn't give me that option, other than the so-called Golden Visa which is unafforable for most of us, and the Non-Lucrative Visa which seems to be a pre-cursor to for us, unwanted residency, with the Student, Work, Au-Pair (I wish), Entreprenneur and Working Holiday Visas all involving me having to tell untruths, which is never a good place to start. Am I missing something, please?

Looking forward to uncrossing my arthritic fingers...... :thumbup:
Shes probably implying a reprecipical 6 month. There is non as you say bar working etc ones.Problem is its a schengen rule not a spain one. Uk made the choice to give EU people 6 months entry. But in order for spain to do it they either leave the schengen or the E.U as a whole agrees. Considering brexit was 95% about freedom of movement i hardly doubt the E.U is gonna change the schengen laws

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Dec 01, 2020 4:05 pm

elusive wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:51 pm
Shes probably implying a reprecipical 6 month. There is non as you say bar working etc ones.Problem is its a schengen rule not a spain one. Uk made the choice to give EU people 6 months entry. But in order for spain to do it they either leave the schengen or the E.U as a whole agrees. Considering brexit was 95% about freedom of movement i hardly doubt the E.U is gonna change the schengen laws
Thanks Elusive - you have confirmed my thoughts. Fingers uncrossed........

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:36 pm

I am assuming that EU citizens can obtain a visa (B2) which enables them to stay in the USA the same as the UK can. We had a B2 visa for USA. lasts for 10 years. Wasn't expensive but had to have an interview. I thought that is what Spain (EU) would allow for the rest of the world. Spain as a country may be indifferent to the loss of semi permanent residents spending power but I am sure that the Costas will suffer. Would have a knock on effect and create a downward spiral.

Costakid
Katy, that doesn’t make sense because someone staying for 3 or 4 months in their own home and paying into the system will spend much more than a family on holiday for 2 weeks once a year. I know how much we contribute to the Spanish cause and its a lot of money.

Not what I was inferring, absolutely agree with what you posted. :)

I was trying to point out that for the average UK citizen it is not a priority for some to be able to do long stays. Quite a lot of comments said so. One wrote that he was struggling to buy his first home so why lose sleep about someone not being able to use their 2nd home for long periods. Now been in at least 3 newspapers so obviously an issue for the Journalists!

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:45 pm

I don't think that - perhaps with the exception of the Golden Visa - Spain has the authority to issue their own visas, but thast Spain must comply with EU Schengen requirements, and hence the 90 days in any rolling 180 just as for example, Denmark, Portugal and France......

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Dec 01, 2020 6:30 pm

elusive wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 3:46 pm
costakid wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 2:53 pm The cheapest PCR test I could find was £99. I was online and calling private clinics all afternoon yesterday. The £99 is a 72 hour turn around so a bit too close to travel. A company in Stevenage are charging £170 for 48 hour service.
Boots are doing them for £120 at selected stores. Half the battle is making sure its a legit clinic
Yes there may be some pseudo centres. According to Trip Advisor forums many test centres are full booked.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:11 am

Here is a little more info on the 90 day rule. it says that overstaying by longer than three day will incur a one year ban to enter the entire Schengen area.
https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/b ... d=msedgntp

The article also has other information on other points raised on the forum in other posts

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:53 am

Thanks Mark - a useful guide, all in one place, and it seems quite accurate too........

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:53 pm

Our usual visit pattern would be mid April to early July (80days), mid September to mid November (60 days), and other visits to Spain and or other Shengen countries (20 days). So over a year, less than 180 days.

BUT, with the 90 in 180 day rule I am assuming that travel profile is prohibited because in the 6 months mid April to mid October we would be here for 110 days). Am I right in saying it would have to be closer to Late March to mid June (80 days). Wait 3 months then mid September to mid November (60 days) and then the other 20 days spread to fit the rules.

As retired folks if we wanted to maintain our current visits, or change to mid April to mid October what visa Would we require under current regs. We have no interest in becoming tax resident as it would be very disadvantageous financially so we would always remain below 180 days in any year.

I hold out no hope that Shengen will amend its rules to a more sensible 180 days in any 12 month period.

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:07 pm

ashtondav wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:53 pm Am I right in saying it would have to be closer to Late March to mid June (80 days). Wait 3 months then mid September to mid November (60 days) and then the other 20 days spread to fit the rules.
Hi ashtondav

We are in a similar position to you, and our lifestyle will likely have to change from a very relaxed 180 days in Spain in a rolling or even calendar twelve months, to something new to comply with the new requirements

I have read somewhere, I think(!), that on arrival in Spain, the Spanish Border authorities will want to see evidence that you will be leaving their part of the Schengen area, before the end of your 90 in any 180 day limit. If this is so, then your late March to mid June trip, followed by a mid September arrival for a mid November departure, might not work? You would be relying-on the Spanish authorities calculations allowing days at the beginning to ‘drop off’ as days are added towards the end. I stress that I really do not know, but I would suggest that this factor might be taken into account until perhaps the authorities give definitive clarification?

We are thinking of a mid to late February, early to mid April, mid May to mid June, mid July to mid August, and mid October to mid November format, which is good for us, and most importantly, for the grand children.......

Any thoughts welcomed

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:39 pm

ashtondav wrote: Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:53 pm Our usual visit pattern would be mid April to early July (80days), mid September to mid November (60 days), and other visits to Spain and or other Shengen countries (20 days). So over a year, less than 180 days.

BUT, with the 90 in 180 day rule I am assuming that travel profile is prohibited because in the 6 months mid April to mid October we would be here for 110 days). Am I right in saying it would have to be closer to Late March to mid June (80 days). Wait 3 months then mid September to mid November (60 days) and then the other 20 days spread to fit the rules.

As retired folks if we wanted to maintain our current visits, or change to mid April to mid October what visa Would we require under current regs. We have no interest in becoming tax resident as it would be very disadvantageous financially so we would always remain below 180 days in any year.

I hold out no hope that Shengen will amend its rules to a more sensible 180 days in any 12 month period.
In its basic form its 90 days in the schengen then 90 days out. Or of course you can do those 90 days any way you want aslong as you dont exceed 90 in a rolling 180
Theres schengen calculators on google that you can uses to work out your dates

Theres no visa requirement if you stick to the 90/180. Theres no visas for extended stays unless you are working or studying .your passport will just be scanned and stamped on entry and exit.and theres those ETIAS forms coming in in is it 2022?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Sun Dec 06, 2020 7:57 pm

Oh, so there’s no way backpackers from USA etc. can visit Schengen for longer than 90 days in 180, unless studying or working? Hadn’t realised that so thanks. Looks like, as per Vinny we’ll have to alter our trips. Good old Brexit!

vinuela vinny
Resident

Postby vinuela vinny » Sun Dec 06, 2020 9:43 pm

Hi again ashtondav

I think that I might be wrong in my last post

I’ve now checked a couple of the Schengen apps and both ‘knock off’ days as they pass the six month point, so there is no indication that my assumption of the Spanish border authorities wanting to see evidence of a planned departure date, when you arrive, might be valid - exactly as elusive points out.... Perhaps your original plans might still be valid? I do hope so.....

Apologies if I have confused the issue - it’s been a long day.......

Regards to all

dxf
Resident

Postby dxf » Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:53 pm

Hola

The calculation is very simple - today is day 180 and yesterday 179. Count the days you have been in the Schengen area in the past 179 days. If the number of days in the last 180 days is less than 90, you are OK if it is greater than 94 you will be banned for one year.

I will add that Tomorrow will be day 180 and today 179 - a truly rolling day count

Davexf

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:53 am

Another problem will be if your passport was say 10 years and 5 months when you renewed it. EU only accept the 1st 10 years as valid and then knock off 6 months for travel so a 10.5 years passport would look valid but is not.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:58 am

You dont get the upto extra 9 months anymore on your passport when reapplying for a new one.changed around the summer of 2018 so i presume the extra months wont be an issue anymore?

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:15 am

Yes, after summer 2028. Plenty of opportunities for infrequent travelers with passports issued before summer 2018 to enjoy passport control problems.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:22 am

It will be a massive issue for anyone with a pre 2018 passport and its not been made very clear to travellers about these new rules. People will be refused travel at departure gates and that will be the first they have heard of this rule.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:55 am

I was hoping to get one last trip out of my passport before the year ended but that isn't going to happen, i had at least 7 months left on it but i thought now was as good a time as any to apply for a new one. I applied on line and went along to a photo booth in Tesco's for the pics, no need to send them in together with the old passport because i opted to have a copy of the pics sent to my email address and it was uploaded and attached to the application, very easy...I had my passport within a week of sending the application. :thumbup:

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:00 pm

costakid wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:22 am It will be a massive issue for anyone with a pre 2018 passport and its not been made very clear to travellers about these new rules. People will be refused travel at departure gates and that will be the first they have heard of this rule.
I've just checked mine which was renewed in 2018 and has an 'extra' two months on it. When going to the UK you have to give them all the information up front (API?) so would it get spotted there? I was hoping to use my TIE for re-entering Spain.

Even from here Pamela it only took 3 weeks for my OH to renew his earlier this year. I took his photo on the phone and uploaded it, as we did for my renewal, and it was quite easy and quick to do.