Convenio...not Especial

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Convenio...not Especial

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:51 pm

I am below state pension age. I used private healthcare and private income to get residency in 2018.

I am trying to get myself and my other half registered on the Spanish healthcare system. I tried to register in 2018 and the only way was after 1 year to pay the convenio especial. I decided against it because private healthcare was cheaper and also less waiting times etc.

So now 2021 we want to be vaccinated, when the time comes, and the only way is to be registered on the health system as the vaccine will be distributed to only those registered on the system. I called my embassy today and said I am in a catch 22 that I cannot get vaccinated as I am not registered. I said I tried in 2018 and was refused, now the only way open for me is the convenio especial. I also mentioned new arrivals who cannot get the convenio especial for the first year so cannot even use that route.

So I queried how do I and people who arrived in the last 6 months get on the healthcare system?

The embassy told me I should go to my local health centre and query what other convenios are available to me given that I paid Social Security in other EU countries it will entitle me to use the health system here in Spain. The only thing in question was exactly which convenio I would use. The embassy went on to say there was a centralised EU system so that Spain could see my contributions made in other EU countries.

So I am, to put it mildly, a little confused because I cannot find anything about other convenios. Also that a centralised system for seeing contributions exists is a huge surprise.

Has anyone ever heard of these other convenios?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Convenio...not Especial

Postby elusive » Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:23 pm

Cant say ive ever come across or heard anyone mention them. Other than an S1 from another E.U country i dont see what difference it would make having contributions from another country.unless some still have the old uk type S1 system where you could get one under retirement age that covered you for upto 2 years.this stopped in 2014 in the uk but maybe other countries do something similar but tbh i think the uk was a stand alone on that.

You could try getting into the health sysyem by not having any other access. Ie you get a letter from the nhs saying you have no right to uk healthcare .this is filed with INSS. Lots of people were getting in when there was the universal healthcare bill a çouple of years ago. It may be worth getting a good gestor to try for you.nothing to lose