Would You Dob Someone in to DHSS/HMtax etc

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Unicorn
Resident

Would You Dob Someone in to DHSS/HMtax etc

Postby Unicorn » Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:13 pm

If you knew someone was doing it would you? Claiming benefits from UK while in Spain.

What would you do? I certainly have heard many even bragging about it, and I do not even know many British people, so I do not know how widespread it is.

So....?

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Re: Would You Dob Someone in to DHSS/HMtax etc

Postby chrissiehope » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:32 pm

As I am struggling & yet unable to claim any benefits, I would very likely 'dob them in' - it pi$$es me off how some people are happy to cheat, and then gloat about it :-(
Alexandr for President (Squire for PM !)

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend.
Inside of a dog it's too dark to read (Groucho Marx)

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:35 pm

Yes, if they had been bragging about it, I would seriously consider denouncing them. Since I have been in Spain I have paid 10´s of thousands in tax so why should these scroungers get away with it.

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:17 am

Yes. Harder in relation to the tax man ,benefits if its someone living in Spain claiming it from the uk as you just cant say joe blogs from manchester to Hmrc. You would need lots of info which if its just an acquaintance you wouldnt have. U.K Cars are a different issue.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:03 am

There is a hot line number for snitches to call from Spain. Google it.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:46 am

Yes I would do although I don't know of anyone who is in that category. Everyone I know is legally here. I don't go to English bars so don't get to overhear people bragging about such things.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:37 pm

Not benefits but it looks as if someone has been selling this story to the DM.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... Spain.html

ashtondav
Resident

Postby ashtondav » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:08 pm

So how does this work? In the brief time i was on jobseekers i had to sign in every two weeks and every month i was called in for an "assistance" interview. I presume long term disability, but even those are called in for check ups, aren't they?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:42 pm

The old dla/mobility in most cases were given for life but only the DLA part was exportable. So if you left the country you lost the mobilty part which was the bigger amount. Its all changed now with PIPS etc but some you can keep if you move abroad some you cant.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:58 pm

I have wondered that myself, yes long term disability do get check ups, or they did when i claimed for my father a month before he was due to retire after a stroke..Two yrs after i claimed on his behalf he had a further medical arranged by the disability benefits department and they wrote to him again 2 yrs later to arrange to do the same again..At that point i didn't know anything about the letter, i found out when the claim time had lapsed..He had got it into his head that he was no longer entitled.Since his stroke he was not able to drive and when people were not available to give him lifts he used taxis, his quality of life went down the hill...He had a concience just because he was still able to sit in a pub and hold a pint while others screwing the system for fake back problems think the world owes them a living and openly brag about it.What the system requires now as far as checking up goes i have no idea..How do those living in Spain claiming disability benefit manage? Do they have to return to the Uk to be assessed?

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:27 pm

I guess it depends in the type of disability. If its one that could improve then i guess they do follow up check ups. A family member got DVLA/mobility for life due to nerve damage caused by NHS negligence although the system changed before they moved here and they would have been due to be reassessed.but as they were right on the age border for reassessment and were in spain by that point they never heard anything.Going back decades i dont think they checked up as much as they do now where they seem to have gone the other way. Most of the retired claiming when they shouldnt is probably from the old DVLA/mobility