New speed limits across Spain

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

New speed limits across Spain

Postby Lavanda » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:59 pm

Anyone else think the lower speed limits, especially on urbanised roads, is a good thing? I'm just wondering how I will tell if the road I am on falls into any one of the new categories. It might all be a bit confusing to start with ...

https://www.thelocal.es/20210419/remind ... FW8ftfrZ5o

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: New speed limits across Spain

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:27 pm

Bringing in new laws that will be universally broken seems madness. If they did more to reduce the speeds in towns to the present limits it would be better.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:59 pm

A few fixed radar traps will be a big earner for the local Ayuntamiento!

Sid

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:44 pm

Confused,as others say as to what roads will come under the 30 are they changing all the signs? and yes they should concentrate on having people stick to 50.30 is way to slow especially when drivers here are professional tailgaters who drive up you backside if you dare to drive at 55 in a 50.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:51 pm

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:22 pm

At 30 KMH tailgating is not a problem, The biggest problem is being able to drive that slow. Fortunately, my car has a speed restriction control, which I switch on when I go to Bilbao. However, I would say only half keep to the limit including me because I usually park in a car park only a few minutes into the city so not a big deal. Not only are there big signs when the area is entered but there are also many reminders in the road.

What surprise me though is that there seems to be no knowledge that there are similar limits in the UK. Some Residential areas in London have limits of 20 MPH

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:33 pm

Not just London Mark. There are lots of 20mph zones around Leeds, coupled with horrible lumps that you straddle, pushing you into close proximity to those coming towards you, and loads of cameras!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:05 am

I think the 20kph limit in villages is a very good idea. My village is full of hazards such as old people who wander about the place and walk in the roads rather than keeping to the pavements. Young Mums with prams also walk in the road. There are children playing in the roads, dogs running around, cars double-parked and tractors rumbling along. Couple that with the almost constant builders cutting off one road or another while they reform a house, and I think a driver is well advised to go slowly.

Outside the village there are tail-gaiters, of course, but I just drive slower and slower and they soon drop back.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:18 am

Theres been 20mph zones for many years in the uk Normally outside schools and such areas. No problem with that as its there for a reason. But a general 30kph rule seems abit.. if its just a box standard road/surroundings

I find tailgating an issue at any speed. Yes its not potentially dangerous at 30kph unless the driver is totally blind Buts its intimidating at any speed when someone is up your backside because you dare to drive at the legal limit. Fog lights tend to help!

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:34 am

20mph and 20kph are different beasts entirely.....20kph is 12mph. So cyclists will be overtaking cars, and some quick joggers.
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:21 am

I could be wrong but I think Lavender did a typo. In general. the new limit in urban areas in Spain is 30kmh which is similar to the 20 MPH in the UK.

Funnily enough there are some 20KPH stretches near here where the kids get the school buses but they are no more than around 20 metres in length and pedestrians have priority

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:30 am

elusive wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:18 am Theres been 20mph zones for many years in the uk Normally outside schools and such areas. No problem with that as its there for a reason. But a general 30kph rule seems abit.. if its just a box standard road/surroundings

It's much more than just outside schools. A few years ago I hired a car and was driving through East London and the limit was 20 MPH for long distances.
A quick Google shows that the limit was introduced on many roads in central Landon last year .

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/safety-and ... afe-speeds.
Obviously, I can only comment on this part of Spain but In the almost 18 years I have lived here, I would say the difference in way way people drive is one of the biggest changes. Some of that could be put down to education but I would say that the various measures introduced such as the points system and the reduction of speed limits on certain roads, where there were high incidences of accidents, have had an impact too.

Having said that, I absolutely agree with you regarding tailgating.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:52 am

It is confusing, Mark, I agree, but I don't think I did a typo. I think it REALLY WILL BE 20kmp.

What are the new speed limits?

From May 11th 2021, roads in Spain with one lane in each direction will go from having a general speed limit of 50km/hour to a maximum of 30km/h. Single lane roads with one-way traffic where the pavement is raised above the road will also have a new speed limit of 30km/h.

On single one-way lanes and double lane roads with two-way traffic where the pavement and the road are at the same level, the speed limit will be reduced even further, down to 20km/h.

Roads with two lanes or more of traffic in each direction (minimum four total) will keep the speed limit of 50km/h (except for vehicles carrying dangerous goods, for which the limit is 40km/h).

Spain’s Interior Minister Fernando Grande Marlaska stressed back in November that these new speed limits won’t apply to main roads in Spain’s big cities (for example, Madrid’s Paseo de la Castellana).

As a relevant sidenote, vehicles will also no longer be able to surpass the speed limit at all when overtaking on secondary roads in Spain, whereas before it was allowed by up to 20km/h when overtaking.

firsttango
Andalucia Guru

Postby firsttango » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:04 am

176637264_1958480164300008_768082383510479147_n.jpeg

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:11 am

Thanks, firsttango. Pictures always help. :lol:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:13 am

Sorry, but my money will be on it being ignored by the majority of motorists and motorcyclists, simply because the Spanish hate being told what to do and just disobey.
In our town there is a normal one-lane each way road, currently with a 40kph limit. This is so generally ignored that to try and get the edge taken off traffic speed they have installed sleeping policemen either side of 2 pedestrian crossings - these being the way to cross from a street full of restaurants and bars to get to the beach of the Mar Menor, so lots of families, kids, elderly etc.
At first they startled a few drivers too busy on mobiles to look out of the windscreen, so gat their teeth rattled, but they soon realised that they could keep their speed up if they simply swerved across to the opposing lane, veer round the bumps, then swerve violently back to their side just before slamming on the brakes to avoid killing assorted people on foot crossing in front of them!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:23 am

I laughed at that but it's so true, I think that is why the new limits have come in — in the hope that people will not exceed the limits by more than 10kph.

I knew Spain had weird traffic regulations when I first got to Coín and bought my house there. In the Summer I would sit outside a cafe and watch the slow, but chaotic, traffic negotiate a big roundabout at the edge of the town. There was usually a policeman. There were also a huge number of mopeds being ridden by 14 year-old boys while the girlfriend/sister/whoever sat on the back, side saddle, putting the finishing touches to her make-up with one hand holding the mirror and the other applying lipstick and even mascara. Neither wore crash helmets.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:01 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:52 am

As a relevant sidenote, vehicles will also no longer be able to surpass the speed limit at all when overtaking on secondary roads in Spain, whereas before it was allowed by up to 20km/h when overtaking.
I am not sure if it got ratified but there was an EU proposal to make speed limiters mandatory on all cars from 2022. So the car has to have a system fitted to know the speed limit and prevent you exceeding it (you can override it by jamming the pedal to the floor but only for a short period of time for I presume an emergency.

I have a car fitted with this already (although I have to elect to switch it on) and the car constantly displays the the speed limit......however it is often wrong. The system will read the speed limit from a sign but sometimes it overrides what it did or didn't see based on GPS location. Eg I pass a place where the speed li it was previously different and it displays the old limit ignoring the sign it sees (or indeed ignoring that it didn't see a sign because it is no longer there). It will read temporary speed signs for roadworks though and slow me down for those.

However given the generally poor way speed limits are displayed in Spain I am not looking forwards to the time Spain that this is compulsory and it cannot be overridden. There is one place I know well there are blue squares advising max speed 100kph, however the speed limit is 80kph.

I wonder if the DGT will issue a new press release with the 'acceptable' amount you can exceed a limit by before you get a fine....I presume it will still be I think 7%

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:11 pm

It looks like the 20kmph limit is for joint pedestrian/traffic areas from the photos which are very useful. Whatever the limit it needs to be policed to have any effect. People race through our pueblo, almost cornering on two wheels we saw the other day, when there are frequent crossings, and as Lavanda describes, various people in the road and cars doubled parked. Lost count the number of times we've seen near misses on the crossings on the main coast road which is 40kmph. Even on the crossings with lights I've seen a cement mixer sail through long after the green man appeared and the driver was looking to his left at something, not even at the road. Thank goodness no-one had already stepped out. People just don't seem to be paying attention when at the wheel.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:56 pm

markwilding wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:30 am
elusive wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:18 am Theres been 20mph zones for many years in the uk Normally outside schools and such areas. No problem with that as its there for a reason. But a general 30kph rule seems abit.. if its just a box standard road/surroundings

It's much more than just outside schools. A few years ago I hired a car and was driving through East London and the limit was 20 MPH for long distances.
A quick Google shows that the limit was introduced on many roads in central Landon last year .

https://tfl.gov.uk/corporate/safety-and ... afe-speeds.
Obviously, I can only comment on this part of Spain but In the almost 18 years I have lived here, I would say the difference in way way people drive is one of the biggest changes. Some of that could be put down to education but I would say that the various measures introduced such as the points system and the reduction of speed limits on certain roads, where there were high incidences of accidents, have had an impact too.

Having said that, I absolutely agree with you regarding tailgating.
I cant comment on london. I guess its a council decision for each areas? Im from up north! Where at the time the 20 limits where normally in highly built up areas and school/park areas where kids were more likely to be around. I think for short distances its a good thing but if its in areas where theres no obvious need and for long distances it will just cause frustration and people will just ignore it.It then just becomes a nice little money earner