Pen Knife / Folding Blade

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
john the baptist
Resident

Pen Knife / Folding Blade

Postby john the baptist » Tue May 04, 2021 7:20 pm

Hi

Does anyone know if there if there is a size of pen knife that is legal to carry in Spain. I asked because i could not believe that I saw them being sold in Lidls before and Ive actually saw today a group of Moroccan men, two of them had knives and were showing them off between themselves.

I dont think the CDS has the level of knife crime like London, however it does happen, you only have to read the headlines.

When i was at the checkout in Lidl at the time i asked the check out lady and she said its legal as long as the blade is not longer than the width of four fingers, but i think she just wanted to get rid of me.

Horrifically when we first came over Pen Knives were prizes during fun fairs during feria but i believe they banned that now.

If anyone knows id be interested to know what the legal position is.

Cheers

John

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Pen Knife / Folding Blade

Postby elusive » Tue May 04, 2021 7:28 pm

I always find it strange that they have those glass cabinets full of them in service stations on the motorway. Very odd. Also a local tobacco shop has them all on show in the window

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Tue May 04, 2021 8:36 pm

I asked the same at a road side restaurant as I was also amazed they could sell them so openly.

I was told that on the street

Flick knives are illegal . They called them automatic knives so I presume they mean a flick knife on a spring.
A single sided blade up to 11cm is legal....I guess that is where the 4 fingers comes from.
No double sided blades

There is an exemption for collections...so hence those ornamental daggers etc.

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Tue May 04, 2021 8:49 pm

Thanks for the info Guys, I know Toledo is famous for its swords when Spain had an empire, but i would have never though a 11 inch blade would be legal. I guess with reflection they would not be selling them in Lidls if it was illegal, its not like you would keep it at home as you would use a proper kitchen knife.

im guessing collections are kept at home (however only last week that poor child was killed with a samurai sword in the uk).

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun May 09, 2021 4:18 pm

Yet a friend of mine was fined for carrying a box cutter/stanley knife on his belt when we were in malaga, not hidden, he got stopped by the police as we were walking in the street, he had it in a holder, on his belt, with his "mudanzas xxx" uniform on.

He tried to argue that he had just forgotten to leave it in the van but they wouldn´t have any of it.
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Sun May 09, 2021 5:36 pm

Is it classed as an automatic knife? Or is the blade longer than 11cm?

john the baptist
Resident

Postby john the baptist » Mon May 10, 2021 9:31 am

spanish_lad wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 4:18 pm Yet a friend of mine was fined for carrying a box cutter/stanley knife on his belt when we were in malaga, not hidden, he got stopped by the police as we were walking in the street, he had it in a holder, on his belt, with his "mudanzas xxx" uniform on.

He tried to argue that he had just forgotten to leave it in the van but they wouldn´t have any of it.
how much was the fine??? was it because it was visible???

cheers

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Fri May 14, 2021 2:00 pm

I have no clue, it was years ago now ? So maybe its changed. The fine was a good 600€ or so i recall?

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat May 15, 2021 2:51 pm

I am in a walking group and everyone, including me, has a pocket knife in their rucksack for pealing apples and oranges and cutting bananas in half to share, cut rope, whittle sticks, etc. Mine is 9cm long with a metal collar with a slit in the side that twists around to keep the knife locked shut, or open, to avoid accidents. I have never thought about it but it is big enough to kill someone — yes.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed May 19, 2021 4:12 pm

Theres a big difference in carrying one in the campo / forest when walking in a group, to someone carrying one down calle larios in their back pocket. I´m sure you´ll be fine Lavanda, the guardia do have some comman sense.. sometimes ...

Paddy Pumpkin
Resident

Postby Paddy Pumpkin » Wed May 19, 2021 7:45 pm

Lavanda wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 2:51 pm I am in a walking group and everyone, including me, has a pocket knife in their rucksack for pealing apples and oranges and cutting bananas in half to share, cut rope, whittle sticks, etc. Mine is 9cm long with a metal collar with a slit in the side that twists around to keep the knife locked shut, or open, to avoid accidents. I have never thought about it but it is big enough to kill someone — yes.
Less than 11cm so not illegal as it is not an automatic knife.