NIE versus ID certificate

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
malcolm_lake
Tourist

NIE versus ID certificate

Postby malcolm_lake » Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:54 pm

I have been advised by the Cajamar bank that because the UK is no longer part of the EU , the documentation required to prove legal residence has changed
Passports are no longer valid and I am required to present my NIE at the bank at the earliest opportunity
I have no problem with this , since I have had my permanent green NIE since 2014
However when I duly presented my NIE at the bank , i was told it was no longer acceptable and that I needed a national ID card , with a photograph , as the only proof they would accept for my legal residence
So far as I know the Spanish government have said that the NIE is still a valid document , and that there is currently no obligation for expats to have to obtain the ID card , although they reserve the right to change that at a later date if necessary
Has anybody else came across the same problem ?
Is my interpretation of the current law correct ?
Can I go and tell the idiot at the bank that he is a plonker

casita-bonita
Resident

Re: NIE versus ID certificate

Postby casita-bonita » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:05 pm

I guess that the banks can demand whatever documents they want. But you are correct that legally the green residency certificate remains valid for now. We swapped to TIE cards a couple of months ago for this very reason and could see at some point it would be mandatory to change. Thought that we would get in before the rush. Simple enough process and only 12e.

BTW an NIE isn't proof of residency, anybody can apply for and get one. I'm guessing that you are referring to the green residency certificate/card, which also has your NIE number on it amongst other things.
Regards

Bob

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:10 pm

Read lots of of similar cases on the Net about that bank. They are only excepting a T.I.E. (to avoid confusion theres no such thing as a Green NIE. Your talking about your residency document which is green. A NIE is white and anyone resident or non can get one.

Yes please tell the bank manager hes a plonker! Theres no legal requirment to change as of yet. Theres documents floating around F.B from the spanish and uk Goverment stating this that you can print off but I would have to search for them

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:30 pm

Perhaps take green card and passport. The green card proves you are resident and the passport proves who you are. It has been clearly stated that there is no law to say you have to change to the TIE at this time, although like Casita-Bonita, I did ours last year asap partly as I wanted a proper photo ID card.

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:04 pm

I have a green residencia card (Certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union ,el encargado del registro central de extranjeros) which has the NIE on it along with my address in Gran Canaria, there is no photo on it, it also says on the back, in Spanish, That this card is not proof of identity I have Finnish and British passports, I don't know if this makes a difference !!

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:31 pm

If you have a Finish passport, then you don't have the same problem because you are an EU citizen.

I have also got my TIE and did so because I thought there might be problems with people who are not used dealing with people not having some sort of plastic ID. When I went to pick it up, I was told that eventually we will all need to change it anyway.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:03 pm

Manchesteral wrote: Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:04 pm I have a green residencia card (Certificado de registro de ciudadano de la union ,el encargado del registro central de extranjeros) which has the NIE on it along with my address in Gran Canaria, there is no photo on it, it also says on the back, in Spanish, That this card is not proof of identity I have Finnish and British passports, I don't know if this makes a difference !!
Depends on if you got your residencia as a brit or a fin?and what the bank has you registered as.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Sun Sep 19, 2021 10:03 am

I have had a request/demand to provide a TIE (which I do not yet have) from Mapfre for a pre-existing health insurance policy. I have sent a letter to atención al cliente explaining that delays in the system prevent me from complying and also quoting chapter and verse about why I should not need to do so.

https://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/brexit/pre ... abajo.aspx

"Es preciso destacar que los certificados de registro y tarjetas de familiares de ciudadano de la UE servirán para acreditar la condición de beneficiario del Acuerdo de retirada tras el 31 de diciembre de 2020 y acreditar, por tanto, la residencia legal en España con posterioridad al fin del periodo transitorio."

I don't expect to get anywhere with my bolshie approach, but it gives me someone's got to do it.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:42 am

Maybe we should all take the line of least resistance on this one and get the TIE. It’s quicker and easier than going through the “I know my rights” routine every time proof of identity is required. Some battles are just too boring.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:40 pm

And the process is pretty simple. There are a number of docs on the internet which illustrate how to fill in the required fields answer by answer.
Regards

Bob

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:16 am

Trouble now seems to be getting the appointments. Everyone I know that has done it this year has had to go to Malaga as there weren't any appointments locally at Velez Malaga. Even when I did ours last summer (I started in July when they first became available) it was a bit of a nightmare getting the appointment to collect them and it took 4 months in all. The paperwork is all on the websites and somewhere on here I did a step by step guide on how to do it. It's not particularly difficult and only 12€ for each card, but it's just the appointments that may be tricky depending on where you live.

Superplonk
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Superplonk » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:05 am

This is why I went on the offensive. I've had bank accounts embargoed in the past for no good reason. If banks, insurance companies, utilities etc decide to make up their own laws then I'm going to be ready. I WILL have a TIE to show them soon enough, but right now it's not totally up to me.