Proposed tax on 'empty' houses

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Proposed tax on 'empty' houses

Postby Lavanda » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:44 am

Does anyone know what constitutes an 'empty' house in the government's proposed new tax?

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Re: Proposed tax on 'empty' houses

Postby Wicksey » Thu Oct 07, 2021 10:40 am

This happened to be in my daily news letter this morning:
How and who will be penalized for having an empty home: {Translation} The coalition government of the PSOE and United We Can carry out the new Housing law , which will mainly control, in part, the price of rents, in addition to putting the focus on empty homes.
For this, the Executive plans to increase the Property and Real Estate Tax (IBI) to those large owners who have their homes empty.
Thus, the preliminary project plans to increase this tax to 150% for unoccupied flats; Sevilla.ABC reports that the measure will affect homeowners who have more than four homes, and at least two of them have to be vacant for a period of two years or more.
When this punishment is delimited to the owner, it will be the city council that will decide whether to apply the surcharge or not.
The new housing law has clashed with the coalition government. Ministry of Economy Nadia Calviño's was against rent control, considering that it affects legal security in Spain, something that the CEOE also shares.
On the part of United We Can, it was a condition to be made to approve the next Budgets. The formation of Ione Belarra threatened not to support them if these housing regulations were not carried out. Source, Spanish:
https://www.abc.es/economia/abci-como-q ... ticia.html

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:08 pm

That does not seem so bad. I use the village house regularly as the freezer and washing machines are there and the cooker has an oven with a thermostat; the trapping of modern life, in fact. The small house in the mountains gets a visit every month, when I can manage it, so I think I'll be all right.

On a political matter, with so much village depopulation and unemployment, who does the government think is going to live in the unoccupied houses anyway? They are unoccupied for a reason. Maybe the government should be finding solutions rather than creating yet more problems?

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:25 pm

The idle rich... my village where i go to wash my clothes so they will not be polluted while out drying.

Seriously i think these empty houses are paying tearly taxes so there is not much more they can do.
I do agree that there need be an incentive to bring back people to these empty properties...

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:22 pm

:D The clothes do get polluted by bird crap, mostly, as they get dried by the sun, on a line, strung between olive trees. If I accidentally drop something it might fall into a pile of sheep pooh but that’s life. :o

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:33 pm

"the measure will affect homeowners who have more than four homes, and at least two of them have to be vacant for a period of two years or more.
When this punishment is delimited to the owner, it will be the city council that will decide whether to apply the surcharge or not."

So only the big cats, and only those big cats that are not on the council nor related to a councillor?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:30 pm

There are so many empty homes in Spain, villages full of them, many of them in ruin..Who is responsible for them ? Are they properties which have been abandoned by families who renounced their inheritance? Would it not make more sense for the government to restore these properties for social housing or is it a waste of time if there is no demand for them? It's not good for those who are living in these villages having to live next door to a ruin. There always seems to be money to keep the town halls in good order, the one where OTH was born was replaced and a new one was built,looking at it you would think it served 50,000 population instead of the under 1,000 people who are still left there. :lol:

Enrique
Andalucia Guru

Postby Enrique » Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:01 pm

Hi Pamela1,
A lot of properties in the Campo aren't registered having been handed down through the Family.
Most up here in the province of Jaén are in ruin and only the land is worked.
All my best learning experiences start with a problem I need to solve.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Thu Oct 07, 2021 9:46 pm

Enrique, are you refering to those in the villages or those built out in the campo on land? Or both? If there are unregistered empty village homes then who takes responsibility for safety issues, walls falling down etc.