Complaint about fencing

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
blueskies
Tourist

Complaint about fencing

Postby blueskies » Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:01 pm

Hello all,

I need some advice about a complaint I received today from the Administrator/management company of the community building where I live. I live in one of the penthouse apartments. Last August I renewed my privacy fence as the old one was made of cane and was breaking up. I replaced it with a custom-made wooden one. I had to decide whether it would be better/easier to put the fence on the inside or outside of the "railings". In the end, I chose the outside as it was much easier to build and fit as there was a nice step-up/curb for the fence to sit on. Not long after I installed the fence, the neighbour on the ground floor complained to the administrators that she was worried that it may fall and was not fixed sufficiently (even though there were multiple plastic and stainless steel cable ties attaching it to the railings). To solve this I bought and installed/reinforced the fence with metal plates. I sent photos to the administrators and received a thumbs up from them. However, today they sent me an email to say that the ground floor neighbour is still not happy with this and wants them to initiate a complaint to the town hall (they also mentioned that this type of case carries a fine). I have asked the administrators for a copy of the community rules but as they are generally terrible at getting back, I wondered what else I could do/look into before having to remove the fence. I thought about asking the town hall directly for information but not sure if this could complicate things or be a bad idea. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Cádiz
Resident

Re: Complaint about fencing

Postby Cádiz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:26 pm

I would wait and see... i think if it turns out you are wrong... worst possible is need to remove or re-locate offending...
Other option is "cash"

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:34 pm

if in your opinion it is safe I would ignore it. Things like this take forever down the legal route. I guess your not on friendly terms with the neighbour otherwise they would have approached you direct.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:53 pm

costakid wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:34 pm if in your opinion it is safe I would ignore it. Things like this take forever down the legal route. I guess your not on friendly terms with the neighbour otherwise they would have approached you direct.
Unfortunately some people do not know how to do this and get heavy handed... i would be pretty confident if person from Ayuntamiento checks and finds genuine error worst thing be alter/remove...

blueskies
Tourist

Postby blueskies » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:22 pm

Thanks for all the comments.

When it comes to rules about the community fencing, etc - are they based on rules of the actual building/community or are they based on the municipal/provincial rules?

It looks like I am going to have to move my fencing to the inside of the railings but I would at least like to read something to corroborate this first. I have asked for the community rules from my Administrator/Building Mgmt Company butI have received nothing as yet.

Any ideas?

THANKS

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:49 pm

Maybe the lesson already learnt is never to do anything without getting approval in writing - from the management commitee if an urbanisation, the ayuntamiento if no urbanisation exists?
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:00 pm

Hi i would stall... but i expect you can play abit... what i mean id you have got permission from administrator i assume in some written form so the issue for me is between the person on the lower floor and the administrator...
You could say that you were advised to confirm the community rules as you thought you were within rules when they agreed to structure, i expect you have the rules as supplied when you join, insurance is the key here as i expect one policy fro structure so if it falls liability with community...
I expect the person who complained is justified as from what you say if it fell off it land on their property...
No point in playing hardball as likely lose if it goes to vote...

blueskies
Tourist

Postby blueskies » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:50 am

Thanks for replies. I am going to remove the fence today from the outside of the railings. Unfortunately, I don't think I have a good case. All the best.