David Searle RIP

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
andalucia
Site Admin

David Searle RIP

Postby andalucia » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:25 pm

It is with sadness that I write to inform you, if you are not already aware, that David Searl, one of the first members of the Costa Press Club, passed away peacefully on 18th March at the age of 82.

David Searl, a US citizen, settled on the Costa del Sol in the mid-70s and was until his death one of the Costa del Sol's most important writers of articles and books focusing on legal substance. He was the lead writer on law for the acclaimed monthly magazine "Lookout" and continued on the same track in other English-language media.

His greatest achievement in this field was the publication of the book "You and the Law in Spain" with 22 editions of advisory information about relevant laws and regulations for foreign expats in Spain.

In addition to these works, he was on numerous times a popular lecturer and expert at information meetings in collaboration with the foreign department of Mijas town hall and other local community groups.

David leaves his wife, Mary, two sons, Ben and Daniel, and three grandchildren.

The Club sends its deepest sympathy to his family.

A family representative informs us that no date has been set for the funeral, which may take a little time to arrange, however it is likely to be at Mijas Cemetery. When we have more details we will let you know.

Jesper Sander Pedersen
President – Costa Press Club

----

Andalucia.com Forum extends deepest sympathy to David’s family.

David was a member of this forum, although not active for many years. He helped many members by answering their legal questions in this forum section which was named after his book ‘You and the Law in Spain’. His book was a labour of love which was last published in its 24th Edition in 2018.

Chris Chaplow

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Re: David Searle RIP

Postby BENIDORM » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:54 pm

Sad news.
His publications were of great help to many expats, including me, and in our early days in Spain when there was little information available, his help,advice and knowledge were invaluable.

Heartfelt Condolences to all of his family, friends and readers.

R.I.P.

Gordon.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sun Mar 20, 2022 2:57 pm

Sad news. I bought his book on recommendation 20 odd years ago, a real help when starting our Spanish journey. RIP

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:55 pm

Yes I had one of his early books. Was really useful. He will be missed RIP

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sun Mar 20, 2022 6:37 pm

I bought every issue since I came to Spain. Really useful and readable advice.

Sid

1bassleft
Resident

Postby 1bassleft » Mon Mar 21, 2022 1:30 am

"You and the Law in Spain" was a great source. Condolences to his family and gratitude for his output from me.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:45 am

My sympathies to the family of David Searle.
His book was very useful in my early years in Spain and I always read his advice on this site avidly. RIP