Unauthorised deduction

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Unauthorised deduction

Postby phototext » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:44 pm

Malaga car have just deducted €40 from my sabadell bank account without my permission when I'm not in Spain, presumably from a record of my spanish debit card. Sabadell (contact from their app) said I should enquire of the tax authority! The bank sends you an email you can't reply to.

How can malaga car do this and how can the bank allow it? Surely it means anyone who has been paid by debit card can just empty my account.

I will avoid Malaga car who gave me the runt of the fleet for a month in april and only pay car hire with a UK credit card from now on but I'd like to know how they can do this.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Re: Unauthorised deduction

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:47 pm

I guess its allowed in the small print interms of being able to to take money as part of the insurance. That's wjy they take your card info. Standard practice. Best to contact them and ask why

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Mon Jun 13, 2022 7:27 pm

My worry is why the bank allowed it.

elusive
Andalucia Guru

Postby elusive » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:30 pm

Why not? If you gave them your details i presume a bank would expect that its legit. Its probably like a standard sale to a bank. Rather than when you buy something online you get a message and code from sabadell

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:01 am

Possibly it could be a parking, or other offence, fine which they are reclaiming?
Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

Cádiz
Resident

Postby Cádiz » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:13 am

You ave them authorisation when you signed the contract, this happened to me two times, one time €25 as i was caught for speeding and obviously the police contacted them as they own the car. the speed ticket came in the post, the other time was because i brought car back with incorrect fuel.
MalagaCar are one of the best so i think there be a valid explaination. Then you will be left dealing with real scammers. i would ask in email and if explalained leave well alone.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:39 am

That's why car hire companies usually only accept credit cards so that they can claim back any fines that may crop up later on once the car has been returned. When you sign the contract I expect that this is in the small print and will be common to all car hire companies otherwise they could never deal with any fines that come through after the car had been returned.

(My friend's speeding fine took two months to come through (although that was using their own car whilst here on holiday, but it seems to take months to be notified of it), so timewise that would tie in with your April's car hire.)

It's the car hire company you need to contact rather than the bank.

phototext
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby phototext » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:59 pm

Maybe I should tell a fuller story. I got a speeding fine in February when I missed a 60 for a bend and got snapped at 77. I paid the fine online with the authorities.

I pay malagacar with my Spanish sabadell debit not credit card. They took a management fee of €40 four months later then told me. Car hire companies block a sum on a credit card so they can make another charge later. In the uk they can’t do that on a debit card without permission from the holder.

What annoyed me is when I used the sabadell app to complain they sent me an email saying I should contact the tax authority. WTF.
Then I find I can’t reply to their email. So I guess I use them for direct debits only unless I can find a way to use wise for the tax DDs and use my uk credit card for car hire and wise card for everything else. I will still have to pay sabadell €90 pa

Manchesteral
Resident

Postby Manchesteral » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:37 am

phototext wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:59 pm Maybe I should tell a fuller story. I got a speeding fine in February when I missed a 60 for a bend and got snapped at 77. I paid the fine online with the authorities.

I pay malagacar with my Spanish sabadell debit not credit card. They took a management fee of €40 four months later then told me. Car hire companies block a sum on a credit card so they can make another charge later. In the uk they can’t do that on a debit card without permission from the holder.

What annoyed me is when I used the sabadell app to complain they sent me an email saying I should contact the tax authority. WTF.
Then I find I can’t reply to their email. So I guess I use them for direct debits only unless I can find a way to use wise for the tax DDs and use my uk credit card for car hire and wise card for everything else. I will still have to pay sabadell €90 pa
The easiest way to deal with this (it has happened to me) is to report your card stolen, a new one will be sent to you with a new card number, the next time anyone tries to take money from your account they will be rejected !

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Tue Jul 12, 2022 10:11 pm

No idea what the tax man has to do with this (hacienda) but they might take money if the car is scratched or you had a parking ticket etc
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:30 pm

Best to use a credit card as if you point out it is an unfair deduction you can ask for charge back and claim it back.