Legal stuff concerning private swimming pool

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
BunnyAndBear
Tourist

Legal stuff concerning private swimming pool

Postby BunnyAndBear » Sun Jul 24, 2022 2:39 am

Hello, dear people of Andalucia,I wonder what do I need to know about my obligations as an owner of a swimming pool in a private yard of a single family home, no intention to rent it out. So far haven't got the house yet, thinking and researching. 
Seen mentioned licences for a swimming pool. Does that mean building permit or something that needs to be renewed regularly? Is there a difference between a pool in a hole in the ground and a pool with brick walls above ground? I.e apart from having to climb extra stairs.
Is there a legal requirement to have an insurance for a pool? Third party liability insurance? In some countries the risk that some stranger, grownup or child, may come through the gate or jump the fence, swim, and drown in the pool has resulted in some very strict laws concerning pools in private homes. In US they must have proper fences, locked gates, signs of No Trespassing, etc. In France there's even alarm systems that go off if somebody without the electronic lock gets in the pool. Are there any such rules in Spain? I mean I have seen fences around pools in Spanish homes too but are those purely common sense or required by law? Would your neighbours sneak in your yard to swim in your pool?
Are there any rules about filling the pool with water, where to get the water, how often, sanitary regulations about cleaning?
There are outdoor showers next to the pools. Why? Is the water filthy? Chlorinated? I only know a private pool in Latvia, there they use some kind of oxygen tablets to prevent growth of algae, lasts the whole pool season, maybe because the weather is cooler there but those don't make the water any different.
Thanks! :)

pensure1988
Resident

Re: Legal stuff concerning private swimming pool

Postby pensure1988 » Sun Jul 24, 2022 8:53 am

Good Morning

More on your query. and click on the tab" Poll safety laws Spain" for answers

http://www.advasolsolutions.com

David

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sun Jul 24, 2022 9:49 am

Re the showers, it is expected that people wash off sun cream and also for hygiene purposes have a shower before entering a public pool. After coming out of our own pool I always wash off the chlorinated water afterwards. You can have a salt water pool but they are not so common and sometimes tricky to set up, and I think the majority have pools that need to be chlorinated and have other chemicals put in to maintain the PH, so it's nicer to wash it off after a swim.

The permit will relate to the building of a pool, like planning permission, although I understand an above ground pool doesn't need one. Around here, anything goes and people build away without any permits at all. The pools I can see next to the houses in the hills where we live are not fenced and do not have any sort of security measures, even the rental houses. They are just an open inground pool beside the house.
Last edited by Wicksey on Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

pensure1988
Resident

Postby pensure1988 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:40 am

If you have small children around, it makes common sense to fence your Private Pool. If one of the small children drowns, this will create an incident which the Police will have to investigate. So better be safe than sorry!!!!

BunnyAndBear
Tourist

Postby BunnyAndBear » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:48 am

Thanks, David, thanks, Wicksey! That pool company page is very useful. Yes, it certainly makes sense to have pool fenced, even if you don't have little kids, there's always wildlife and neighbour's pets.