Help Getting Spanish Residence Permit?

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
HadamarMan

Help Getting Spanish Residence Permit?

Postby HadamarMan » Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:22 pm

I am a retired American married to a German citizen and have two minor German citizen children. We just rented a house in Malaga and I wanted to as if anybody else is in this situation: American married to an EU national with EU national kids? I am assuming that the visa problem is mine alone. Since they're EU citizens they can reside here automatically, correct?

Also, does anybody have advice on a good local lawyer for help? I tried JustLawSolicitors but didn't find them very helpful. If it matters, I speak Spanish fluently so I don't need an English-speaking advisor. Just a serious advisor who offers good advice and help. Thanks to all.

IreneD
Andalucia Guru

Re: Help Getting Spanish Residence Permit?

Postby IreneD » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:30 am

Hopefully you'll get some assistance here with your query but I'm wondering if you're on facebook. There's a group called Expats in Malaga City and there are lots of Americans in the group, someone there might be able to advise you.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Wed Feb 08, 2023 9:16 am

Movetomalagaspain.com has info regarding the residency procedure for non eu spouse and families.It's quite a usefull site.

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:38 pm

Your situation is the same as a UK citizen applying while married to someone from the EU.
As a German citizen, your wife will also need to apply for residence if she wants to stay and might have to prove certain criteria before she gets it. The 90 day rule doesn't apply to her nor should it apply to you as long as you stay together.

My wife is Spanish so my situation is different so it might be better to get advice from a professional but I would also suggest, as the wheels are already in motion, as soon as you are in your rented property, you visit the immigration office with you intention of staying. In the meantime, your wife and kids should get residence sorted out at the police station that deals with it.
Last edited by markwilding on Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:23 pm

Do remember that as ever US driving licences cannot be exchanged for Spanish, so you will have to do the Spanish theory and practical tests to be able to drive here.
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.