Changing TIE from UK to Irish

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Changing TIE from UK to Irish

Postby McT » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:43 pm

I have a TIE which I got in July 2020 when they were being handed out like sweeties. For various reasons, my wife didn't apply for one at the time and I understand that now if swapping a >5 year old green residence certificate for a TIE, it requires proof of actually living in Spain, which we are not at the moment.

We intend moving back this summer, and as my wife wants to work, the non-lucrative visa is not an option. However, in the meantime I have gained an Irish passport and my wife can return as 'spouse of EU citizen'. But first I need to change my residence to Irish. I've heard 3rd hand stories of how this might be accomplished, with some reports saying that you have to start from scratch as a new arrival and others saying that it's a straightforward case of changing nationality with a new TIE.

a) Have any forum members done this?

I've read in several places that there is no requirement to change the green A4 residence certificate for a TIE and that it remains valid. My wife has had hers since 2009 and although in theory it has lapsed as we've been back in the UK for several years, who will know?

b) Have any forum members used the green A4 certificate at the Spanish border with a UK passport to prevent it being stamped?

c) Has anyone got a job since the end of the transition period with just the A4 certificate and no TIE?

fyfin
Resident

Re: Changing TIE from UK to Irish

Postby fyfin » Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:23 am

Just came across this. It's something we considered as we are from Northern Ireland and have both UK and Irish passports. Initially when we moved here in 2012 we registered as UK citizens and were issued with the little green residence cards. Both the TIE and the green certificate are only issued if you are an actual Spanish resident so it would appear you shouldn't have been issued one anyway.
However, if you want to register as an Irish citizen, then you will not have a TIE as it is only for non EU countries so you would be back to the little green card.
When we thought about changing we went to the foreigners office in Almeria and despite being on the system and fiscal residents for 8 years at the time, we were told categorically that we would start from scratch. We thought this was a bit weird as we already had records with the tax office etc but in the end we decided not to go along with it as it would only complicate matters.
To register as a Spanish resident if you're a UK National is much more difficult than an Irish National, the income requirement is very different for example.
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it

McT
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby McT » Thu Oct 05, 2023 10:52 am

Update.

Went to the police station armed with TIE, passports (UK and Irish), padrón certificate (nationality previously changed to Irish at the ayuntamiento), S1 and proof of income and was initially told that I would have to start again with temporary residence. However, the agent went off for 15 minutes, presumably to consult with others, and came back with news that I could keep permanent residency. So they kept my TIE and issued the green, credit card sized, certificate which states Permanent Resident since 2009.

I have since applied online (via the Mercurio system) to get my wife residency as spouse of EU citizen and we are waiting for a response. (After 2 months it still states "In progress".)

Parilla
Resident

Postby Parilla » Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:28 pm

Why don't you just do it right , follow the rules instead of trying to pull a fast one.
Parilla

fyfin
Resident

Postby fyfin » Fri Oct 06, 2023 11:04 am

Parilla wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2023 5:28 pm Why don't you just do it right , follow the rules instead of trying to pull a fast one.
Parilla
I think you'll find they are following the rules. The system is flawed if it doesn't acknowledge your previous residency albeit as a different nationality.
In my case 11 years hence why I see no point in doing it (not in our case).
A man likes his wife to be just clever enough to appreciate his cleverness, and just stupid enough to admire it