A foot in both camps

Information and questions about the Law in Spain and Andalucia.
peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

A foot in both camps

Postby peteroldracer » Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:09 am

Just testing to see if post possible
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Re: A foot in both camps

Postby costakid » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:05 pm

111 views and no answers so I say "Give us a clue?"

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:13 pm

I had a problem: I wrote a post, which was refused by the extremely irritating Spamhaus as being from a blacklisted IP. Checking with that site it said there was nothing wrong with the IP! On my return to Spain I thought it worth testing the water.
Sadly the original post saved as a draft seems to have vanished and I cannot be bothered to go through it all again.

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:55 am

I thought it was going to be a thread about the differences between living in Andalucia and Murcia provinces. Healthcare, food, language, customs, prices and so on.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:28 pm

peteroldracer wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:13 pm I had a problem: I wrote a post, which was refused by the extremely irritating Spamhaus as being from a blacklisted IP. Checking with that site it said there was nothing wrong with the IP! On my return to Spain I thought it worth testing the water.
Sadly the original post saved as a draft seems to have vanished and I cannot be bothered to go through it all again.
perhaps you should have been bothered enough to remove the post completely.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Apr 13, 2024 12:59 pm

The 2 camps I was referring to were the UK and Spain. We want to move back to England, but with the depressed house market here are looking to keep our house here as a holiday home and buy a property in the UK to be our principal residence. I would love to hear from anyone who has done this and what to consider. I know we would have to deregister here, and change driving licence in the UK, but does that present any problems with our Spanish car? Tax-wise I assume we would have to pay non-resident tax on the holiday house.
Is there anything else I should consider?
As for differences between Murcia & Andalucia, we have found that up here it is less developed, and a more obvious agricultural economy with a bit of tourism rather than the other bias down South, and is generally poorer, with cheaper housing attracting a different type of immigrants. As we age (“mature gently!) I get less comfortable with the Spanish attitude to security, seemingly keener on supporting squatters and not wanting to offend footpads and rogues by catching them on camera. In the last few days there have been four houses broken into, and a couple of residents mugged!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:19 pm

We have been to Cartagena and Murcia city this year. I would agree that the average income looks lower. Maybe the poorer end agricultural workers are the robbers?

There are poor agricultural workers in our area but everyone still knows everyone.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:22 pm

Gosh! Peteroldracer, what an interesting post! My sister has a house in Murcia and an uglier place would be hard to find. Poly tunnels as far as the eye can see. I would imagine property prices are a lot lower there and not only to do with the low-paid agriculture industry but also because it is hideous. Good luck moving back to the U.K.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:42 pm

No poly tunnels round us, but very flat without the hills and mountains of the Axarquia. We moved to be near family but not worked out as well as we hoped. With astronomical airfares making travel difficult, plus the ever-widening gap in costs of food (our sort anyway) time to go we feel.
The choice of foods in UK supermarkets is like Harrods food hall to Arkwrights corner shop, and with 2 full-size pub meals at £11.99 who needs Iceland!

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sun Apr 14, 2024 8:53 pm

I have got to say some parts of Murcia are “ badlands” with the rest being agricultural. We liked Cartagena ( Spanish navy med base) .

Astronomic air fares is interesting. There is no doubt Malaga UK fares are very competitive.

We had a very nice menu of the day meal in Antequera while our car was revised. Pisto and a fried egg. Good quality bread roll , Cordero and nice chips. Glass of Verdejo and pudding choice was fairly dull but nice ice cream option or a coffee 12 euros I do enjoy a pub meal and a pint in the UK but with a pint at 5 , 6, 7 squid it is a shock. Ditto coffee

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:08 pm

Agree Cartagena is an attractive city, much nicer than Murcia. Flying was great when we moved here, nice airport shared with airforce academy 5 kms up the road, flights to Leeds. Politics took over and they opened a new one at Corvera half an hour away and cut flights (none to Leeds). Winter rates are ok, although means an hour’s drive up to Alicante, but summer prices are eye watering (2 with luggage in July c.€800).
Note that the pub meals I mentioned are £11.99 for 2…I usually am driving so have a pint of lime & soda which is cheapish

markwilding
Andalucia Guru

Postby markwilding » Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:40 pm

Air fares to the UK here in Bilbao can also be reasonable and good prices to many parts of Europe can be found.

Olive, I see you are thinking of coming North to live. Life here is completely different with plenty of job opportunities as well as decent amenaties. The biggest issue is the weather and housing is more expensive if you chose to live close to a big city. In contrast, the area around Castilla , Santander and La rioja is much more affordable.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:20 am

Come to Extremadura and buy a huge village house for €60,000 and meals here with local produce are always good quality and value. The big drawback is no airport at all. The choices are Lisbon, Madrid or Sevilla. Takes ages to get to them by train or bus. Cars are quicker but then there is the airport parking fees. Nothing ticks all the boxes, it seems.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Mon Apr 15, 2024 10:40 am

Flights from Malaga to most uk cities all year and unless its easter or july/august mainly reasonable especially if your flexible on days. Last week flights were £250 as kids going back to school, wednesday this week £40. I have a friend whose local airport closes in the winter so he has to use Valencia and do the long drive to his house. He knew that when he purchased but still moans about it.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 pm

Flybe used to do Exeter to Málaga and when I had my house in Coín I could do door-to-door in under five hours. Now it takes 14 hours on a good day.

Pamela1
Andalucia Guru

Postby Pamela1 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:38 pm

Before covid there were more flights to Malaga from my local airport. Tbh quite a number of flights to other countries and destinations vanished and have not returned.Our airport is running at half the capacity that it used to and until they bring back other destinations i can't see it changing.

costakid
Andalucia Guru

Postby costakid » Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:46 am

I guess we are lucky as we have Luton Birmingham and East mids all within an hour and with those 3 you are rarely short of a cheap flight.