gas boiler

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
princess peach
Andalucia Guru

gas boiler

Postby princess peach » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:08 pm

I have a gas boiler-been used from brand new for approx 7 months now.
We have just recentl changed the gas bottle,and the water doesnt appear to be as piping hot as normal-just warmish.
Is there a part that could do with cleaning,that may make it heat better.
If so can you explain in simple terms where it it,and what i have to clean it with.
Or could it be something else?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:43 pm

:( First thing Princess is to try a different new gas bottle....some of them are very sluggish and fit only for Estufas.

Don

Postby Don » Mon Dec 24, 2007 3:33 pm

Quite often on a gas boiler you have to turn the flame selector to half flame in order to light it - sort of failsafe to avoid lighting it n full power. Half flame = warmish not piping hot as you get on full flame :idea:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:49 pm

The boiler is first lit on half flame then moved over to full flame,and is still warmish-perhaps its not a very good bottle.

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Tue Dec 25, 2007 10:17 am

Your boiler sounds the same as mine; Soft Light. Try another bottle, even a half empty one will do, mines just the same! :(

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Dec 25, 2007 12:31 pm

I will do then,i have another bottle to try-sometimes this bottle is hot,then another time just luke warm!
nightmare this time of year,just when you need a nice hot shower! :roll:

julian
Andalucia Guru

cal

Postby julian » Wed Dec 26, 2007 2:44 pm

the gas boilers only heat up the water properly if there is good water pressure, sometimes cal in the filters can reduce the pressure and stop the boiler heating properly, try unscrewing the end off the sink tap to see if there is cal blocking the filter, if so, then the shower might have the same problem.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:16 am

Peachy, sounds to me like the very common problems of either low water pressure (very sommon in the camp and which you can;t do much about) or cal in the boiler/pipes. I wasted a lot of time and effort trying to decal my boilers myself until I finally gave up and got a (very good) local plumber out to do the job for me and hey presto, piping hot water again..... well worth the expense, which wasn't vast!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:14 am

what you both have said sounds about right-we recently had a water cut off,and since then,the water hasnt been too hot-or powerful
I have recently de gunged my kitchen tap,but not the shower ...I will try that today,it is amazing just how much junk they collect inside the pipes...i really dont know why i only de gunge the kitchen tap and nothing else :roll: ..never even thought!

julian
Andalucia Guru

boiler

Postby julian » Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14 am

the shower tap might not be so easy, you may have to take the tap completely off the wall to get at the filter !!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:46 pm

mmmmm,think you may be right julian-i have took apart the shower head-nothing in there-dont think i will bother with the actual tap...may have to hope its just the gas bottle.My hubby says its sometimes hot for him,but then other times warmish-perhaps it may be just the pressure???
It always seems warmish not hot for me tho!

julian
Andalucia Guru

cal

Postby julian » Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:43 pm

well, sounds like a build up of cal in the filter behind the shower tap to me...you´ll have to take the tap off to clean it out...there is an alternative if you don´t fancy doing that job yourself princess........try this.....everytime your husband is in the shower run the hot tap in the kitchen...you should find that miraculously the cal disappears from the shower tap filter after just a couple of days...good luck...hope it works...

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: cal

Postby peteroldracer » Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:16 pm

julian wrote: everytime your husband is in the shower run the hot tap in the kitchen...
when I used to get bruised from falling off horses, I found some herb called arnica (I think?) very good. You might like to get some in for when your husband leaps out of the hot shower that has suddenly run cold when you turn the tap on, and comes to give you a smack! :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

julian
Andalucia Guru

tap

Postby julian » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:17 pm

he shouldn´t know about you opening the kitchen tap while he is in the shower, that should remain an eternal secret !!!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:49 pm

haha...I will try it...be our little secret.. :wink:

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:36 pm

Try switching to propane rather than butane cylinders as well.