Cutting Wood

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Cutting Wood

Postby karandjon » Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:25 pm

We have recently got Pine trunks that have not been pre-cut.

We are wanting to buy a chainsaw but our last one (a McCulloch) was very poor, and ended up selling at a car boot.

Can anyone recommend a decent one, or what features to look out for, when purchasing?

Thanks

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:16 pm

I am told by people who seem to know that Stihl are the best make and will last a lifetime.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:42 pm

Stihl or Husqvarna (sometimes branded as Partner)
Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Sat Dec 29, 2007 8:55 pm

When you say the last one was very poor, what was poor about it?

Did you have the chain resharpened regularly? Did you keep the oil reservoir topped up? Did you use force with it ? Did you cut the ground with it? Was it electric or petrol?

All chainsaws should be able to cut pine!

olive

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Dec 30, 2007 3:15 pm

Hi Many thanks for replies. Stihl it is then.

(Olive - our previous chainsaw was petrol and new. it was used for cutting olive and almond and just took ages.)

Thanks once again,

Karen

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:12 pm

I use a small Stihl and it is a great machine. I have used a McCulloch petrol hedge trimmer and it was terrible. I believe they once had a reasonable reputation, but perhaps they were taken over and went downmarket. The hedge trimmer shed nuts and bolts in use and eventually the blades stopped moving after about five years. It was impossible to get anyone to service it or find a source of spares so it became instant junk . There is no problem getting Stihl's serviced in the UK, I don't know about Spain. Although I've never needed it serviced yet, this is a point to take into consideration when buying this kind of tool.
Grouser

Trooperman
Resident

Postby Trooperman » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:18 pm

Used to be involved in Gardening & Landscaping in the UK and a McCulloch tool - be it a hedgetrimmer, chainsaw, strimmer, leaf blower, mower or whatever - was ALWAYS to be avoided. Just poor quality and made in such centres of engineering excellence as Mexico to reduce costs. I don't have any direct knowledge, but I suspect McCulloch tools made in the USA for the USA market are probably OK.

Agree, Stihl or Husquvarna are the best options for Spain
nil illegitimum carborundum

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:24 pm

Stihl and Husq are both great. Buy the big ones, not those for domestic use, but the ones to be used professionally. BUT, if you do not know much about it, go on a course, watch videos, everything. Do not use a chain saw without learning how to use it. Never use it after a drink. This is not a direct comment to Karanjon, it is to anyone who reads this, and who just thinks they will pick up a chain saw.

Make sure you do the safety stuff. Boots, protective clothing (total body), face shield, gloves. You should also know how to maintain it as said above in an earlier post.

Sorry if telling you to suck eggs.

Many people use chainsaws and don't know what they are doing. Some are lucky. Some aren't. Wouldn't want you, or anyone else reading this, to get hurt.

Don

Postby Don » Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:39 pm

I guess things change over time but 20 yrs back in Scotland I shared a big petrol McCulloch and it gave us no trouble for the 5 years until I left Scotland. Yes we always kept the chain sharp ourselves, and well oiled. We took down many large trees and logged them all without problems. Over here I had to fell 3 large trees in the garden so invested in a cheapy black and decker electric chainsaw which is just about dead after 6 yrs moderate garden service. It took the 3 trees down, each over 100 ft tall, bit by bit and logged them all. It has logged some of the bigger firewood delivered which was just too heavy to lift in one piece - had one yesterday about 18 inch diameter and 30 inches or so long. It has also pruned all fruit trees every year. Chain regularly sharpened, it did need a new bearing after the fist year battering and now it either needs a new chain and a new bar or it just needs replacing but thats not bad service for under 100 euros in the first place. The key for me with all chainsaws is to have the ability and knowledge to sharpen the chain almost every time you use it so it never has to work too hard.

That said, palmtrees is right, a chainsaw can do a lot of damage to human flesh if not handled properly at all times. The chain is sharp even when the motor is off so I always keep the guard on unless actually using it.

v.dubber
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby v.dubber » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:12 pm

Exactly right what everybody's said. Youll never have a small accident with a chainsaw, and the most dangerous tool is the one which isn't kept sharp or maintained correctly.
Cave info: http://caveliving.forummotion.com
Inland Spain: http://inlandspain.forumotion.com

swerve
Resident

Postby swerve » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:45 am

It always seems imposible until its done. Nelson Mandela

Faire d'Income
Resident

Postby Faire d'Income » Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:44 pm

Stihl or Husqvarna will do the job admirably, although I'd probably opt for Stihl in Spain as I've seen more dealers especially inland and haven't had any complaints from any of mine.

Probably budget for around €500 for a decent sized one and as others have said, make sure you buy all the protective gear - until you've had a chain break you don't know what a big/potential accident looks like. Having said that, provided you treat them with respect you shouldn't run into too may problems.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:27 pm

Well thanks everyone for all your advice. We have just been out and bought a Stihl. Hubby will be letting rip :wink: with it in the morning, weather permitting!!!....... Thanks once again. Much appreciated. :lol:

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:01 pm

Anyone know where there is a Stihl dealer in or near Velez Malaga?

Mhic.

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:27 pm

try this link

http://www.agrosarmiento.com/

AGROSARMIENTO, S.L.
CALLE BLAS INFANTE, 12
29700 VÉLEZ MÁLAGA
Telf.: 95 255 81 06
Fax.: 95 255 87 16

Horario de apertura:
Lunes a Viernes:
.Mañanas: 09:00 a 14:00
.Tardes: 16:00 a 20:00

Sabados:
.Mañanas: 09:00 a 14:00

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:31 pm

No one mentioned that chains, especially on new chainsaws stretch and become loose. They then slip rather than cut and need to be adjusted regularly

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:58 pm

Thanks Colin.
Is that the Calle Blas Infante in Torre?

Mhic.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:56 pm

Well, hubbys saw is "Stihl" going strong....cut through around 8 tonnes of pine and is still like new!! Thanks for the recommendation guys! :lol:

Karen

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 3:59 pm

no mhic, its velez, on the western side,
around 36deg 46'56" north, 4d 06'34" west if you want to have a look at google earth :lol: [/list]

mhic
Andalucia Guru

Postby mhic » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:45 pm

Thanks Colin.
Found it, bought one and it's time to play.

Mhic.