How much is car tax and how do you pay it

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Martin Page
Resident

How much is car tax and how do you pay it

Postby Martin Page » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:03 am

The Subject just about sums up the question .

We have been driving our Ford supplied second user Fusion (that is now about 2 years old) for just ove a year.

We have what appears to be all the paper work except anything other than a receipt for 68E from Ford that says the tax has been paid.....
Now was that for the first year that Ford ran the car or is that for the year that we have just ran the car or both

We 'registered' our ownership of the car some 4 months after we purchased it That was when the tax was paid

So how much is Car Tax ?

How do you Pay it ?

Is it in advance or arears ?

What sort of proof do you have its paid ?

What date does the Tax start ?

When is the cars REGISTRATION date ?
(The date stamp on the form with the Registration number perforated on it says 20 Dec 2005 The Ownership document says 30 Jan 2006 and the Service book says 13 Oct 2006 )

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:23 am

Mine is about 40 euros. Pay it in April at the local Town Hall office. You don't get a reminder about it, just go in and give your reg no and they have it all on computer. They will then give you prrof of payment that you should carry around with all your necessary car docs.

adam08
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby adam08 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:27 am

Yes, it depends on the car/van etc, mines about 90Euros, just pop into your Town hall wait a couple of hours :D then give them your NIE number, they will have it on their PC just pay them and the will give you a stamped recite.

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:58 pm

Different experience here.

We bought our Spanish vehicle in December, and the first year we didn't get a reminder. The second year we did.

In Velez I think you pay between March and May. Ours was 60 something euros.

But it was not at the town hall - a different office up a side street that deals with taxes.

Sounds like different rules in different areas. What's new. :roll:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jan 16, 2008 1:41 pm

we were also told to expect a reminder-then you pay it..the reminder never arrived,and when we sold the car we had 2/3 years worth of tax to pay on it...

Does anyone know what you have to ask to pay for when going into the ayuntamiento ref:paying your car tax???

Don

Postby Don » Wed Jan 16, 2008 2:11 pm

How much you pay depends both on the vehicle engine size and the place of current registration. The same car in one administration attracts a different rate of tax to another administration. Registered in Sevilla city for example is a different rate to registered in Sanlucar la Mayor, the administration to whom I pay but you dont have a choice, it depends on your home address. I have always received a payment request along with the IBI for the house and I then pay it at a local bank but without the bar code on the reminder then bank cannot process a payment. Clearly different practices from one area to another.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 3:13 pm

princess peach wrote:we were also told to expect a reminder-then you pay it..the reminder never arrived,and when we sold the car we had 2/3 years worth of tax to pay on it...

Does anyone know what you have to ask to pay for when going into the ayuntamiento ref:paying your car tax???

when did you sell it peach? and was the transfer actually done?

afaik, well, i couldn't do anything without it, the tax has to be paid to date and the current years reciept must be passed to the new owner. without said reciept the transfer can not be completed.

by the way, mine was €53 and i got a bill from the town hall that i had to pay at the bank.

Marina
Resident

Postby Marina » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:32 pm

Our cars were registered to Iznajar as we had a house there when we bought them. Presumably our reminders went there because we never got them.

I went to the tax office only to be told that they couldn't find the cars on the system and there was nothing they could do.

I decided to let a gestor sort it out. After a couple of phone calls she said we had to go to Iznajar in person. I declined and she said she would send someone.

The upshot is that we now have one car that is taxed but the other one couldn't be transferred as we owe money to the town hall for water. €4.50.
We can only pay this bill if we go in person to the town hall!

If anyone can work out the logic behind all that you are doing better than me!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:47 pm

spanish lad wrote:
when did you sell it peach? and was the transfer actually done?
we sold it last year-to one of my clients(hairdressing).My husband and the guy went together,and changed all the relavent paperwork..all was fine. :wink:

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:30 pm

hmmm ...

the gestor i used in arroyo de la meil (where i got the car from) refused to do the transfer unless the old owner produced a up to date tax paid slip :? i guess things are different in different offices !!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:33 pm

hubby has just told me he used a gestor,and had to go to the town hall to ensure road tax was up to date,got an official stamped receipt.once handed in,all went well...in and out within five mins...with no complications whatsoever...

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Wed Jan 16, 2008 8:49 pm

When you pay it you can ask for a direct debit form so that it will be done automatically next year.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru

Postby spanish_lad » Wed Jan 16, 2008 11:45 pm

princess peach wrote:hubby has just told me he used a gestor,and had to go to the town hall to ensure road tax was up to date,got an official stamped receipt.once handed in,all went well...in and out within five mins...with no complications whatsoever...

ahhhh :)

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:13 am

:wink:

scampicat
Resident

Postby scampicat » Thu Jan 17, 2008 10:14 pm

When we had our car matriculated last May by a gestor we had nothing to say that the road tax had been paid.

I asked at our local town hall - it had been paid (79E) and they gave me a receipt.

We will go again in April to pay it for this year.

We also have a scooter and the first year we had it paid the tax (7E :lol: ).

We then promptly forgot to pay it the following year.

This year we have been sent a reminder for last year plus a bill for this year, both of which we paid a couple of weeks ago.

We have to go to the Town Hall, they give us paperwork to use at the bank, then we go to the bank to pay the actual money.

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:16 pm

You should get a reminder every year - it is not like the UK where it goes from say Feb to Feb or Sept to Sept depending on when the car was registered - here in Spain, at least in Andalucia, everyone pays their car tax at the same time of the year.

When you have paid your car tax, you should keep the evidence of payment in your vehicle - you could get fined by the police if you have not got proof of payment of your car tax.

We usually get a reminder about March or April and you have a certain amount of time to pay it, usually to a bank (on the document it specifies which banks you can go to, Unicaja is usually one of them). As with house tax, if you don´t pay it on time there will be an extra commission charge.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:59 pm

scampi cat wrote:
We also have a scooter and the first year we had it paid the tax (7E
I have just got a scooter last year,and it didnt even cross my mind about the road tax for it!
Thionk i could just about scrape together €7... :wink:

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:16 pm

You should get a reminder every year
Not in Mijas; they do not send bills or reminders.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:55 am

Does anyone else pay over €100 for their car tax? Last year ours was €152. Would that be because it´s a big engined 4x4?

Thanks for the reminder about scooter tax. i bought a new one last year and didnt even think about the tax? :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:26 am

Yes, I pay 130 euros for a 1.9 diesel and the same for a 2 litre petrol 4x4.

It is based on engine size and is nothing to do with the size of the car or whether it is a 4x4 or not.

The tax varies by over 3 times from one area to another. For the same cars, in another town only 15km away, I was only paying 50 euros.

The money from road tax goes to the local council not to the state as in the UK. I guess it depends how hard up the mayor is. :shock: :shock:

Sid