where to go

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Miro
Andalucia Guru

Re: coast v inland

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:24 am

scarlet wrote:I may live inland, but I have also lived on the coast and I have a business in marbella, I could easily afford to live on the coast, but I would rather die than live on the coast, little england full of people who really dont have alot of money, but pretend they do, I have never met such unhappy miserable people, many screwed up kids at private schools, pretencious people living in a false bubble, most come from nothing and give it the big I AM, awful place.
as for torremolinos, I love the shopping especially cariheula, but a lot of problems there. I see both worlds Inland is much better, but I still want a change.
Ouch! I apologise unreservedly if my earlier comment caused offence, I in no way meant to imply that you cannot afford to live on the coast. Each to their own; personally from what I can see, the best thing about Cartama is the railway line going out of it, but certainly Torremolinos is no paradise either! I guess it all depends on what you are used to and what kind of environment you feel comfortable in, but my remark was only meant to substantiate your own, namely: why do so many elderly people choose remote villages, when inevitably there will come a time when this is not going to be suitable? Wouldn't be me.
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:31 am

Scarlet says...

"what appeals is knowing whats going on and been able to understand everything"

The answer is 42

No actually, Ireland.

anyroads

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:28 pm

anyroads wrote: The answer is 42
What was the question? :wink: 6x7?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:23 pm

Is it my imagination or are these postings getting more serious, even Kenny's ? I am about to start my 5th year here, and while there are problems with bureaucracy and language, overall this is a great place to live. People who smile and talk to you, low street crime, sunshine, wide choice of fresh foods, Rioja, top class health care - both private & public.
Even the driving standards are improving, a Spanish lorry driver smiled and thanked me for letting him out of a side turning. :lol:
Katy - I hate canaries too, and budgerigars - dirty smelly twittering things, should all be kebabbed as well. I've eaten quail and they are short ar**d birds, I wonder what canaries & budgies taste like. :wink:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:10 pm

e i e i e i e i o
up the football league we go
when we get the title, this is what we´ll sing
we are the champions, we are the champions
Glyn Reoder is our King!!!!

Yay!!!!!! Up the Canaries!!!!!!! Norwich all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:01 pm

Been here two years now and still love it but have been happy everywhere I have lived, never left anywhere because didn't like it just moved for new challenges but being Scottish I think where ever I am part of me will always be in Scotland. I just adjust to suit where we are and accept the way things are done.

Don't love the monster spiders though yeek :shock:

Don

Postby Don » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:37 pm

Never mind the monster spiders Sadie, it was tiny wee bu@@ers which put me in hospital. Never had that in Escocia pero es mas frio.

frank
Andalucia Guru

Postby frank » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:03 am

How long have you been in Spain?
Regards, Frank

No soy residente, simplemente un turista, ¿qué sé yo?

Don

Postby Don » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:31 am

Assuming you are asking me Frank, I have posted elsewhere that I have been in Spain almost 11 years. And it was 4 years ago when I ended up in urgencias second time around with a spider bite. At 3 in the afternoon everything was fine, in fact I drove a friend to the airport after a bbq party in my garden but my knee felt a bit "wrong" (I said this was second time around) and I asked a local friend to hang on til I got back. By 6 I knew it was happening again and I asked to be taken to urgencias. By 1930 or so we had arrived in hospital in Sevilla centre and had checked in and at 1940 or so I passed out in the waiting room half concious to be "wafted" by christ knows how many men through swing doors onto a trolley where I sort of has a "debate" (in stupid Spanish) with the doctor who said I was 2 degrees short of dead but I insisted I needed antibiotics NOW. In a strange haze I had to sign a form releasing the hospital of all responsibility and a few seconds later the antibiotics were swallowed. :? I think I took two doses at once in my haze as the doc just shrugged and said take him home. Apparently delirious for the next 18 hours ( I knew nothing) but all is well that ends well.

Now what was your question Frank ?

Babby
Resident

Postby Babby » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:05 am

Go back to the Yuk? :wink: No way. I like it here. I wouldn´t want to live on the coast because it reminds me of the M4 in the UK with all the traffic. I like living just under an hour away, the beach is there if we want it. I wouldn´t mind a little summer place close to the beach for weekends in the summer but I would not want to live on the coast and certainly do not want to go to the UK.

Some English people are actually involved in politics - check at your local town hall.
I used to be indecisive but now I´m not so sure.

silver
Andalucia Guru

Postby silver » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:08 pm

Is there nobody out there who is still happy in Spain?
I am happy here...always have been...I think those who don´t like it are those who expect spain to be like UK in the sun... well its not.. Spain is good for me (and good for everyone I know)..its the place I choose to live.. and I stay because its right for me...
:) ...but it does not have to be perfect for everyone...nowhere is perfect for everyone...
many come from UK.. try and do not like it..they left UK for the same reason :roll: so where do they go now???
most are lucky ...they can choose to leave...return or try somewhere else in this big wide world...
Its a matter of personal choice when financial situation permits... so what is the real problem :?:
I could come up with loads of reasons why I do not live in UK... but whats the point....one mans meat.....
Some people will never be happy wherever they roam/moan.
No muerdes la mano que te da de comer.

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:33 pm

Some English people are actually involved in politics - check at your local town hall.
Yes there are unfortunately and they tend to be some of the worst trouble makers going!

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:01 pm

Babby wrote: I wouldn´t want to live on the coast because it reminds me of the M4 in the UK with all the traffic.
You must be referring to 'the other end' to where I am ... I agree it is too frenetic down the western side of the CDS. It reminds me of the M25, although it's probably moving too fast for that (it has been some years since I drove on it and I believe the traffic barely moves these days!). It's much quieter up this end and I don't mind being near the coast apart from the main holiday times of July and August where I feel that I want to run for the hills and find a little retreat somewhere quiet ..... any suggestions from anyone :?: :?:

julian
Andalucia Guru

alfarnatejo

Postby julian » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:43 pm

have you visited alfarnatejo ?? beautiful little village if you´re looking for peace and quiet

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:59 pm

Yes Julian, I do know and I really like it up there. That area of Alfarnate and also east towards Alhama de Granada is very attractive and not too far from us.

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:37 pm

Fortunately, I only come to Spain when I'm fed up of the UK, wouldn't live here though It's full of whingeing brits :wink:
Ah! the full english!!

bunty
Resident

Postby bunty » Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:09 pm

I think that people should be grateful just to be able to live in Europ,to have good doctors ,shops full of food etc etc.
Having lived in a third world country for many years I find that people in Europe don't appreciate how lucky they are.

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Tue Jan 22, 2008 4:11 pm

just read this topic-heavens scarlet the word gobby makes me think of the expats that have made this place the reason you hate it :roll:

Retro P
Resident

Postby Retro P » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:49 am

What is the YUK???
Ah! the full english!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:15 pm

YUK is uk with a "y"before the u and k..making it spell yuk.. :wink: