Haberdashery

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Fraggie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Haberdashery

Postby Fraggie » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:47 pm

:D
Can anyone tell me where are the best places to find a good range of haberdashery goods such as cotton, soft furnishing/dress material and knitting wool etc round and about the velez-malaga region.

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Haberdashery

Postby gavilan » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:06 pm

there are several in Velez Malaga ... one wool shop on Calle Blas Infante, opposite the Parque Andalucia ... another the other side of the town sells more ribbons, buttons and decorative things but also some interesting wools -
down a side street (either Calle Dolores Gomez Ruiz or Magallanes) off Camino Viejo de Malaga ... maybe you will need to google for a map of Velez?!

re soft furnishing ... up beside the bookshop La Lonja on Calle Fray R de Velez (near the main post office) ... and in the set-back sort of courtyard just a little down the hill on the right is a shop which sells quite interesting remnants

and dress material ... lots of shops if you wander around the town but am not impressed with their choice!

palmtrees
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby palmtrees » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:54 pm

there is also a place in Torre at the top of Calle del Mar

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Wed Jan 23, 2008 8:04 pm

For soft furnishings, Cordoba Hogar is having a moving sale (and has been for 3 months now). Good selection of furnishing fabrics, towels, bedding etc, although I haven't been in for a few weeks, so don't know how much they've got left. It's down the road opposite the bus station in Velez, facing the park. There's also another one at the top of Calle Cervantes. It's more expensive, but they've got some beautiful stuff in.

Just come back from Malaga. There's a fabric shop called El Kilo, just off Paseo Larios. They sell all sorts of fabric - more dress type than furnishing, but they also have quite a selection of home fabrics. Just past El Kilo there are 3 or 4 fabric shops, including a branch of Palacio de la Telas.

Fraggie - if you would like a shopping trip around the area for fabrics, I'm always up for it!
AlisonB

Fraggie
Andalucia.com Amigo

Thanks to you all

Postby Fraggie » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:28 am

Thanks to you all for your suggestions, I will drag my Husband round Velez-Malaga today. Fortunately there was a good map of Velez-Malaga in the 'Market Place' this month.

I managed to get material for curtains for our other rooms from Ikea but I couldn't find any suitable material for the lounge and I also need the cotton to sew them up.

I also brought a lot of wool over from the U.K. with me when we moved over, but I need some nice baby wool for our expected grandchild no.2.

Thanks again :D

Alison I would be up for your suggestion but I don't have a car

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:31 am

Fraggie-have you thought about ebay for your wool!
or an online wool shop.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:01 am

Fraggie - I found it difficult to find wool, (and no chance of patterns) when I wanted to knit for my new grandson. I did try charity shops, but then realised unless I would be going to UK the only option was the internet. I found a great site for knitting patters where for less than 2GBP it is possible to download a pattern in PDF format. They are exactly as you would buy them in the shop including pictures. I will post the name here - but it may disappear. the name is knitpat with the usual in front and a .com at the end.

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:27 pm

There's a nice wool shop in Velez just opposite Parque de Andalucia. On the right hand side heading out of town.
AlisonB

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Re: Thanks to you all

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:32 pm

Fraggie wrote: Fortunately there was a good map of Velez-Malaga in the 'Market Place' this month.
Careful, fraggie - if you look, there is not the slightest sign of the tranvia tram network on that map, and it has been running for over a year! The Market Place seems only to be interested in Nerja, or Nerja, or.....ah yes! - Nerja!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.