anyone read the euro weekly ? excellent letter in it ...

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

anyone read the euro weekly ? excellent letter in it ...

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:46 am

This is the email that I keep promising to send to all those in the UK who think they deserve a free holiday in the sun with us.
So far I have not had the courage to send it and a friend of ours is so distraught at the thought of endless summer visitors that she has sold her villa and bought a one-bed apartment!

“Dear all,
Yes, of course, we would love to see you again this year, but there have been a few changes:

1) You will have to hire a car from the airport as we no longer do free airport pickups and deliveries.

2) Day-time flights only; we go to bed at midnight, so no middle of the night flights (however cheap).

3) We no longer compete with the all-inclusive hotel holiday deals. We do not provide free breakfast, lunch and dinner together with all-day snacks and, of course, alcoholic refreshments. We will, of course, tell you where the best Menus del Día can be found.

4) We do not have a live-in maid, so you will be responsible for making your bed, mopping the floor and keeping the bathroom clean.

5) We do not provide a laundry service so please bring your own hand, bath and beach towels.

6) Our daily, free sightseeing trips to local sights of interest have been cancelled because we are sick to death of looking at the same caves and views etc over and over again. We will provide maps and information for you to explore on your own.

7) Our free telephone service to the UK has been suspended; use your own mobiles.

8) You may be on holiday and want to stay out till 3am, but we live here and keep reasonable hours - please be quiet when coming home.

9) Should you wish to spend time lazing round our pool and prefer to stay in we shall expect help with food preparations, shopping etc; we will also operate a joint kitty, from which all food and drink shopping costs, petrol for joint trips etc will be deducted.

10) We are retired and living on our pensions which, due to the awful exchange rate, are decreasing each month - so we were considering coming over to you for two weeks this year!

What dates did you say you were booking?”

We had a family member who came over last year for two weeks’ recuperation in the sun after suffering a minor stroke. We told him we were not prepared to be nursemaids and that at the first sign of any illness he would be taken to the hospital; this did not deter him and he arrived with his bag of pills and, of course, we had to collect him from the airport.
As he would be at home with us for the two weeks we asked him for a financial contribution to the kitty (see above!). He looked quite shocked and said: “What do you want the money for?”
No doubt your readers have similar visitor horror stories!
Our best mates came over last year and opted to stay in a small seafront hotel, about 20 minutes away.
This was great as we saw them when it suited us all, and we all had independence and a super time. These are real friends!!
Frankie Horn Emailed letter

how many people would have the cojones to tell these things to a memeber of family i wonder ?? lol

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:50 am

I saw that letter in the paper and read it with a smile on my face.

Last year we had 'family' to stay (for 10 days), a second cousin, his wife and 2 children. My husband had not seen him since he was 10, and I had not met him at all previously. A daunting prospect. They did hire a car from the airport, but boasted to us that they had treated themselves to the Peugeot 307 Convertible as they were not spending much else to have their holiday!!! That worried me straightaway. I did a huge 'shop' before they arrived and filled 2 fridges with beer, wine and soft drinks. Two days later the cupboards were bare - so they started eating out. I bought small amounts of food to keep us going, and enough for their breakfast. Two days before they went home they went to the supermarket and bought food to re-fill our cupboards. I felt a bit mean then, but they promptly decided to spend the next 2 days by the pool and ate most of it!

I love to have my close family to visit (the children) - they are welcome any time. They muck in with the cooking, cleaning etc. and do not expect a 'free ride' as much as I would love to give them one.

Oh for the courage to send such a letter - if any more second cousins get in touch!!

julian
Andalucia Guru

letter

Postby julian » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:05 am

excellent letter..and all sooooo true !!!

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:53 am

I have copied and pasted that letter into my documents folder. It's very good, and so true.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:19 pm

funny how many cousins / distant relatives pop up and somehow get your number after you move to spain isn't it... :lol: :lol:

mijas-lady
Resident

Postby mijas-lady » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:53 pm

well I hope this year is quieter than last year! friends(family of 4) booked a place near us for July and i thought brilliant - normally they landed on me :roll: Wife arrived on the Fri met my brother in law and moved in with him :shock: on the Mon OH and kids arrived and I had to say what had happened!! she spent the next month partying while I had the suicidal husband and the kids camped out with me!you have no idea what it was like :roll:

jan400
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jan400 » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:45 pm

OMG mijas-lady what a nightmare. :shock:

There's a warning to everyone - marry an orphan!!!

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:29 pm

We only invite people whom we know will not abuse our hospitality.

Others, we say no; if that leads to them stopping being friendly, so be it.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:50 pm

Each time my better half's young nephew visits, I get advance instructions to buy 1600 ciggies for him to sell back home in the pub, to pay for his flight. Somehow, though, I never get reimbursed for the cigs. :shock: On top of that, he gets all of the above (free transfers, sightseing, board & lodging, room service etc. etc.)
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

lodger

Postby Julie » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:44 pm

Maybe its you would need your head looking at :)
I have to admire his cheek :) :wink:
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Miro
Andalucia Guru

Postby Miro » Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:53 pm

He's got a knack of talking me into dumb deals. When his (Premiership) team were playing mine, he made this bet with me: if his team win, I pay his flight over for him, but he'll buy me dinner one night; If my team win, he pays his own flight, but I buy the dinner. :shock:

Can you recommend a good head shrink, then?
Don't worry about what people think, they don't do it very often

"Acquiring a dog may be the only opportunity a human ever has to choose a relative," Mordecai Siegal 1935-2010.

hiker
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby hiker » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:36 pm

We stayed with my fiances parents in Germany this christmas. We were wined, dined, driven all over the Black Forest.
I knew her Dad would not take any money so I hide a few hundred yoyo's in an envelope and left it under the computer keyboard.

Got a call 24 hours after getting back to Dublin. Man, was he pished off. Even treatened to withdraw his permission to marry his only daughter if I did'nt take it back. :lol:

Sometimes you just can't win.
putting the "ANDA" into Andalucía..:)

Julie
Andalucia Guru

inlaws

Postby Julie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:17 pm

Nice of you to do it though :)
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:11 pm

hiker wrote: Even treatened to withdraw his permission to marry his only daughter if I did'nt take it back. :lol:

Sometimes you just can't win.
sounds like you could win this time-do the deal :D
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat May 03, 2008 2:55 pm

Maybe you can make a copy of this letter and send it to your family, Peachy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Sat May 03, 2008 3:08 pm

karandjon wrote:Maybe you can make a copy of this letter and send it to your family, Peachy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Definite cross over of the threads here!

maddy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby maddy » Sat May 03, 2008 5:13 pm

oh i wish i had the guts to send this to a few of my family members! Would anyone else dare? Surely there must be some more horror stories out there to make us feel better about our own guests? :lol:

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sat May 03, 2008 6:15 pm

Excellent letter, so much of it is true in so many cases too, some people we vaguely knew found out we might be doing B&B in spain and said they would come out and see us, we said we would do it half price for them as a favour but we didn't hear from them after that, I think they were expecting to get it free of charge just because our daughter used to play with their child occasionally.

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sat May 03, 2008 11:02 pm

I was staying with friends (I paid my way!!) and they said a lady I ´knew´ (kids played together 20 plus years ago) wanted my email so she could contact me about coming to stay with us :shock: Hubby said if she comes over he moves out- said don´t worry I will too :D I have no problem with family and some friends coming out to visit- but folk from 20 plus years ago who are not even on my Christmas card list!!- no way!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun May 04, 2008 2:11 pm

well,i wish i had read this five years ago when i first came to spain,it would have been top priority to send to family members!

two lots both of which have been out here,my mother and her wonderful :roll: husband(not my dad)we havnt spoken to for nearly 4 years now...and hubbys mother,who was put back on a plane after 4 days of a two week stay....hahahaha...no longer welcome at our casa!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: