Looking for Good British Hairdresser

For tips, tricks and secrets on good health, beauty, fitness and sport join this forum.
alicia
Andalucia.com Amigo

Looking for Good British Hairdresser

Postby alicia » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:09 pm

Can anyone recommend a good british hairdresser in Coin or aroundabouts!!! Have tried a few Spanish hairdressers previously but struggled to convey what I wanted.

Many thanks

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:09 pm

A (qualified) friend in AEG does home visits. I'll ask if she's taking on anymore clients and P.M. you with details if you'd like?
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

mel2727
Tourist

Postby mel2727 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:19 pm

I dont think there is a decent one in coin, I've been here 4 years and not found one!! I work on the coast so get mine done down there, sorry I know that doesnt help u !!!

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:07 am

This may not be much help, but there is a great one in Benalmadena Pueblo, and you could always call into El Corte Ingles while you are down on the coast. pm me if you need info.

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:00 pm

I use a lady in the village, she is Spanish, was paying over €30 for a wash, cut and blow dry. Now get a great job done for €8, same thing.
Why pay more just cos they are English ?
Chris

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:23 pm

Mrs P thats what my friend says but her hairstyle looks like a throwback to the early 80's :)

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:51 pm

nothing wrong with the early 80's.....kajagoogoo, roxy music, ABC etc, lots of lovely hairstyles :lol:

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:54 pm

I also go down to Benalmadena for haircut, found a Sapnish barber called Gomez near the railway station, had no problems there and for 8euros it is good value.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:54 pm

buster bloodnut when it falls out with the double strength chemicals they like to use :shock:

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:50 pm

I doubt you will find a good hairdresser, I have been to loads and loads, including the well know ones in marbella, I was trained in the west end many moons ago, so I am really fussy, but have noticed young spanish male hairdressers starting toopen us their own salons :, which is quite a new idea, probably seen as non macho before, theres a new one in cartama peublo and cartama estacion, I am going to be really brave and give one try, I have butterflys thinking about it, will let you know when Ive been. :wink:

Busymum
Resident

Postby Busymum » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:37 pm

Colinm wrote:nothing wrong with the early 80's.....kajagoogoo, roxy music, ABC etc, lots of lovely hairstyles :lol:
Sorry, not hijacking this thread as I am interested to find a good hairdresser too but ..... Colinm, Kajagoogoo!!!! Eeeeeh heck you´ve set me off now ..... I loved ABC!!! Mmmmm gonna have to see what I can find on itunes now ......

Busymum
I keep child proofing my house but the little blighters still get in!

jennym
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jennym » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:10 pm

I go to Johnnie who owns 'ebony' hairdressers at the Danish Centre on the carretera de mijas. I am always pleased with the way he colurs, cuts and dries my hair. tel. 952 465876

Hope this helps

Jenny
If a pathalogical liar tell you he is lying, do you believe him?

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:59 am

there are several in alhaurin itself, the hair acadamy, opposite mercadona ish, further down really, go down to the roundabout below mercadona, turn right to the next roundabout outside the police station then take a left, its on the left hand side.

one in the high street, just next door to "cafe pub bolin", the big spanish pub with all the pool tables in.

then there is the other one, opposite the old guardia civil, cant remember what its called tho...

i tend to use the l' oreal studio in la trocha, you get a discount for using them reguarly :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:24 pm

It all depends if you want a good cut and style, if not they are ok.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:31 pm

Alicia-all basic cuts are/should be the same.
The spanish only train to be hairdressers for 1.5 years,us british ones train for 3 years before being qualified.Having said that,i think the spanish hairdressers are better at straightening and blowdrying hair(as they tend to have unruly manes)I have seen lots of spanish women with beautifully cut hair.
I would look at as many haircuts on the street as you can,if you see a nicely cut style,tell her that her hair looks fantastic,then ask-"would you mind telling me where you got it cut,and would you recommend them"?
that would be my advice to you. :D good luck.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:43 pm

you´re right peachy about the straightening. my hair is naturally wavy and they do a fab job of straightening it....without irons!!! whenever i have it cut!! In fact, i´ve been known just to go for a wash and dry just to have it dried straight!!its brill value for money as i have thick lon hair, so i am in the chair a good 40minutes having it dried!!!!I love it!!!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:16 am

I did get a job working in a gibraltar hairdressers when i first came here,and after a days work in there,i told them i wasnt going back...I was shocked to see what they were doing.they have no idea. :shock:
But yes,the spanish are excellent at drying curly hair straight,and they do seem to pamper you more for your money... :wink:
I go back to uk for my haircuts..i feel safer there. :lol: :lol:

new to costa

Postby new to costa » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:35 pm

i use a hairdresser in benalmadena costa, her name is Liz and her salon is called hairport, she is very good and would reccomend to anyone

timzony
Tourist

Good hairdresser

Postby timzony » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:18 pm

My wife and I both use Michael at Panache Hair and Beauty in Alhaurin. He has cut our hair for a few years now, they have been around for quite a while.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Wed May 07, 2008 7:05 pm

So much for British Haidressers, the one opened in Alhaurin down the road from Glorias Bar has closed and he has returned to England after only about 7 months.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.