Another chicken question

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
dido72
Resident

Another chicken question

Postby dido72 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:36 pm

I live next door to a farm and they have a big shed full of battery hens (!) and I noticed the other day that an old man, presumably the farmers dad, throwing a dead chicken down the riverbank in front of my house, on closer inspection I saw that there were quite a few down there. Is this legal? You should have seen all the bloody cats around the thing so I dread to think what the rat situation is like not to mention the smell in summer :shock: . There is also loads of rubbish down there too so he obviously never bothers going to the bins, is there anyone I can report him to? I am quite disgusted by this as I spend lots of time sorting my rubbish for recycling so that the only thing I throw away is food (and that is only because I haven't found an organic recycling bin yet) and I can't imagine the pollution in the already polluted river! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

BTW he has a large fenced off piece of land attached to the chicken shed which he stores bits of old farm machinery in, could he not just let the chickens out there and have them free range, they might live a bit longer then *beep* :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Mar 14, 2008 6:46 pm

Its one for the town hall and policia local. I would advise a phone call to the policia local first without giving your name as to make a denuncia could put you in the firing line for hassle and on matters like this the police should act without a denuncia.......

Good luck

Alpujarra
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Alpujarra » Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:38 pm

Last edited by Alpujarra on Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:22 am

Thanks for the advice both of you, I am wary of causing any aggro as he is my only neighbour but I don't know how long I can put up with this, the first time I see a rat in my garden I may lose it!!!!

Thank god we are only renting though, at least we are not stuck here permanantly if the worst comes to the worst :twisted:

Apart from that I LOVE IT HERE!!!!

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:32 am

In summer in my area we are plagued by flies..i mean plagued...
there is a large stream that is down by the main road..about half a mile away.
I have been told that cow carcasses are dumped in there...
I dont envy you living so close,as in the summer,not only does it stink,but you too are going to have swarms of flies in your house...
Its horrible. :cry:

gavilan
Andalucia Guru

Another chicken question

Postby gavilan » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:49 pm

dido 72: just wondering of there is Green Party in your area? you might contact them for advice and assistance?

princess peach: I have been told that since the BSE crisis it is illegal to dump cow, goat, mule, sheep carcas in el campo. Round our way, farmers take them to the vulture centres for food.

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:58 pm

In our area, it is common practice for the goat herder to leave old goats and some newly born male goats to die in the campo.

Our newly adopted dog has been bringing back all sorts of bones, skulls, etc. from the surrounding area and I think this proves this.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:24 pm

Flippin' eck I should think myself lucky it's only a few dead chickens then....I hadn't thought about the flies though!!

I will check out the green party option, they sound like the kind of people I need to speak to. I'm not really a keep my mouth shut for a quiet life kind of a person but I should go down the environmentalist route before I go to the police methinks!

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:25 pm

guardia civil seprona ?
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:36 am

The what now :?: :?

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:10 am

:? You could always take a spade and bury them, if he sees you he might get the idea and it shouldn't cause offence ( very important) and it will improve your living conditions

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Sun Mar 16, 2008 5:48 pm

like this we saw last week,

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:18 pm

dido72 wrote:The what now :?: :?

animal / wildlife section of the guardia civil :)
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:48 pm

Thank you :D

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:39 pm

Good luck Dido, always a tricky one dealing with untidy/unhygenic neigbours when as far as they are concerned thats what they have always done - but whats the harm in letting him know it upsets you and is there any chance he can dump them elsewhere and while he is at it tidy up a bit? If you are polite but look concerned and upset (a few tears perhaps) it could bring out his machismo and he may leap on his white horse rather than his high horse. I used to disapprove of women who used their femininity to get one over men but now I think its a jolly good idea if they are daft enough to fall for it, why not?! :lol:

dido72
Resident

Postby dido72 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:30 pm

Thanks geegee, it may not work if I try it but if I take some teary eyed kids with me who knows :lol: . There is a pile of what looks like straw next to my driveway and my kids ball went into it the other day, I stepped onto the edge of it to get the ball and my foot went through it....my god what a horrendous stench that came out of it, I then noticed a few dead rabbits amongst the straw so god knows what else is in there and this is a couple of metres away from my front door not 30 m away down a riverbank....what next?

I may approach my landlady and see what she thinks as it was her family home so she must know him. Wish me luck.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:10 pm

dido-perhaps that is why your landlady no longer lives in the property and chooses to rent it out...
I really wish you good luck...i hope you get the problem sorted before all the flies come..its horrible. :(

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:43 pm

Have you contacted the officina de medio ambiente? I would say that this constitutes a health hazard so close to your property. Leaving animals to die in the campo is one thing but, leaving stinking carcasses outside your front door is another!!

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:12 pm

Awww this is really not nice Diana....I hope you have some luck in sorting things out!!

Last year we found that our neighbour had been dumping the remains of chickens in the stream that runs through our land. We only discovered this when our dog came running to us with a mouth full of rancid chicken :shock: We panicked and thought someone had tried to poison her!!

We don't live there yet but when we do we shall need to speak to our neighbour about it!

scarlet
Resident

Postby scarlet » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:41 pm

are you going to carry on living there :?: