magnetic to stop the cal going into pipes

Looking for information or help in the field of DIY and home improvement. Post your questions, suggestions and comments here.
Julie
Andalucia Guru

magnetic to stop the cal going into pipes

Postby Julie » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:57 pm

Having read about this on the forum some time ago, has anyone, yet bought and installed one, so you can tell us if they work ,
Thanks
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:01 pm

We bought one and fitted it in April. Bit early to tell yet whether it is making any difference, But I would swear that there were more bubbles in the bath after I turned it on.
Regards

Bob

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:06 pm

Yes we used them on our previous house and they worked very well. If you have a water pump it is important to put one either side of the pump, ie on inlet and outlet pipes otherwise it upsets the pump apparently (sorry not technical to say how). You need to allow a couple of months to really notice the effect however......

toyotadesigner
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby toyotadesigner » Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:04 pm

I used to have a large device in my former house - no calcium in the pipes, nothing in the washing machine.

A friend of mine is using a magnet ball for years in her washing machine - no calcium at all!
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

Julie
Andalucia Guru

cal

Postby Julie » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:06 am

Thanks everyone, i think i will try one then :)

beachbabe
Resident

Postby beachbabe » Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:42 am

We fitted a magnet sleeve (non electric) around our inlet pipe last May.

My wife swears that there is much less calc residue on the stainless steel draining board. She always said that you could never get it shiny because you always saw calc sreaking.

I certainly have noticed the shower head doesn't need cleaning and hasn't suffered any calc blocked holes.

I would have to say that the kettle i bought in December is showing signs of calcing around the element, but i said that i would give the thing a year before i complained i'd been ripped offf.

I do wonder if I am just imagining things, though beacause I have extensively googled these things and i must admit to never having found any scientific evidence they work, and there are some studies.

I believe the same is said for ultrasonic pest deterrents - no scientific evidence they work, as the rodents get used to them.

John M
Andalucia.com Amigo

Magnets

Postby John M » Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:44 pm

I have used a 'magnet' in the water inlet pipe for a number of years (since the first Home & Garden show in Malaga). Since then I have not had to change a kettle due 'furring', and the scale ends up as grit in the bottom which goes down the drain.

No idea why it works, and the water tastes no different, but the grit says it all.............
Andalucia really is the
Centre of the Universe

:D

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:39 pm

Given that you can but these units for a couple of £s at maplin in the UK even if they only reduce the cal by a small amount they are worth fitting and giving a try.
Regards

Bob

Chris Williams
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Chris Williams » Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:47 pm

I have fitted quite a few magnetic sleeves on the water inlet side of combi boilers and instantanious hot water heaters, in hard water areas in the UK, they wont totally stop Cal / Lime scale forming on heater elements or heat exchangers in boilers etc, the hotter the water the more cal is precipitated, they are supposed to work by the magnetic field causing the molecules of cal to form spikes rather than nodes, and to break off rather than build up.
They are fairly cheap to buy so you might as well fit them anyway, even for the limited effect. Chris

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:11 pm

I understand that it is the magnetic force field that stops the cal from sticking to the pipes and furring up so it is never able to settle, hence no cal build up.........it is one of the few things that seems too simple to be true but really did work.......

As for kettles furring up, we use Brita filtered water, the latest one, (Maxtra I think) filter costs 6 euros per month but it tastes good and even electric kettle does not need de-scaling.......

Julie
Andalucia Guru

cal

Postby Julie » Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:50 am

Hi
Anyone like to post a web address were I could order one

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:15 pm

WE found them in local builder´s and plumbers merchants, just local ones not the large chains....but I am sure Leroy Merlin would have them - you could look online there - wwwleroymerlin.es I think is the web address..

nml
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby nml » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:15 pm

casita-bonita.
(Quote) Given that you can but these units for a couple of £s at maplin in the UK even if they only reduce the cal by a small amount they are worth fitting and giving a try.

Which magnets do you mean the standard round ones and where do you fix them on the pipes one on each side ?

nml

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Thu May 15, 2008 4:05 pm

We had to replace our boiler due to limescale. This time we had a 'Scale Watcher' fitted and it works wonderfully. No messy sink, no need for anti-cal tablets in the washing machine or dishwasher. Shower heads cleaner too. Part of it is fitted outside the house at the water inlet and the actual 'box' is fitted inside the house and needs an electrical point. Cost to run is negligible per year. There seems to be an advert in most of the local papers. Can drink the water too!

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Re: cal

Postby gerryh » Thu May 15, 2008 4:25 pm

Julie wrote:Hi
Anyone like to post a web address were I could order one
Just bought some from Ebay, do a search for :-
magnetic water conditioner

I'll tell you, in a few months time, if they work.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Thu May 15, 2008 5:08 pm

or:
Scale Watcher - tel: 648633513 -
e:mail [email protected]
and web: http://www.hardwaterproblems.com

casita-bonita
Resident

Postby casita-bonita » Thu May 15, 2008 10:52 pm

nml wrote:casita-bonita.
(Quote) Given that you can but these units for a couple of £s at maplin in the UK even if they only reduce the cal by a small amount they are worth fitting and giving a try.

Which magnets do you mean the standard round ones and where do you fix them on the pipes one on each side ?

nml
Sorry was away in the States for a couple of weeks and missed this.

It's an electronic gizmo.

Bought mine from here http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?cri ... ce=15&SD=Y

We bought a suitable Spanish power supply in a ferreteria in Competa for a few euros
Regards

Bob