mercadona madness

Looking for a good recipe for gazpacho soup, how to make a good tinto de verano, local exhibitions and where to hear good jazz? Post your query here to find out more.
bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

mercadona madness

Postby bubba » Mon May 05, 2008 9:38 pm

what is happening to the prices in mercadona, 4euros for a normal size bag of spuds. the worlds gone mad.

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Mon May 05, 2008 10:35 pm

Euromarket, €2.49 for a kingsmill loaf of bread,?? whats that all about,thats over two quid,

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Mon May 05, 2008 10:43 pm

Lets not go into how things are getting expensive here. We know that a sliced loaf can be bought for 38 pence in Tesco. It is in the terms and conditions of A.com that it is at least a third cheaper to live here :wink:

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue May 06, 2008 9:00 am

It's all about the total of your shopping trolley: UK; 1 litre red wine £3.50, 1 loaf 45p = £3.95/5€, España; 1 litre red wine 50c, 1 loaf €2.19 = €2.69/£2.15. Then add in the saving on your IBI over Council Tax, the 30% cheaper fuel, the road tax @ 30% or less of UK prices, and last but not least, the sheer joy of driving in March or December to buy the stuff with the window open on the car and the sun streaming in........... :D
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Tue May 06, 2008 9:13 am

You must remember that these 45p/38p supermarket special loaves here in the UK are inedible and impossible to spread butter on without the slice crumbling .....total crap! Total waste of space and a false economy I think.
The normal decent quality sliced loaf (i.e. Warburtons) is £1.25.

In our local Spanish village the rustic bread baked in a wood burning oven is 1e 20c.................still bloody good value IMHO.

Overall I think you get a better deal on bread in Spain but I'm still looking for the knack of keeping it fresh for more than an hour :wink:

Kenny

Chrissie
Resident

Postby Chrissie » Tue May 06, 2008 10:21 am

Campo Kenny wrote: I'm still looking for the knack of keeping it fresh for more than an hour :wink:

Kenny
Eat what you want then pop the rest into a plastic bag and freeze it until needed :!: Works for me anyway :wink:
The past cannot be changed, but the present can be spoilt by worrying about the future

olive
Andalucia Guru

Postby olive » Tue May 06, 2008 11:44 am

My reading of the situation is that we in the so called "first world " are in for a tough time with prices spiralling upwards and upwards with no respite in sight. I bet not many people on here that are retired have pensions spiralling upwards to keep pace with it.

Who would have thought that oil would break the 100 dollar mark yet here it is now at 120! That will have to feed back into just about everthing too.

spare a thought for the people in the third world countries trying to buy the basics.

olive

safeashouses
Resident

Postby safeashouses » Tue May 06, 2008 10:03 pm

Campo Kenny wrote:
I'm still looking for the knack of keeping it fresh for more than an hour :wink:
:idea: If you know you are not going to eat it straight away slice it and spread with garlic butter, wrap it in foil and stick it in the freezer for ron. :D

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Tue May 06, 2008 10:47 pm

Ooh I love garlic bread, now I feel hungry again.

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed May 07, 2008 8:11 am

The old ladies in our village are complaining about how much things have gone up since the last fiesta, I guess it's as good a benchmark as any :? The number 3 was mentioned but our translation skills (or lack of) couldn't quite figure out if prices had gone up 3 times or 3 fold :oops:

ron
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ron » Wed May 07, 2008 8:16 pm

Never had any problem with spanish bread, it goes too quickly to go stale. :)
I don't buy sliced bread in spain
English sliced bread goes mouldy before it goes stale. Stale bread can be used, eg bread pud. I don't buy sliced bread for this reason

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Fri May 09, 2008 10:27 am

We like the sliced Cinco Semillas bread from Mercadona (closest thing we've been able to find to granary bread) and last week it went up from 1.32€ to 1.45€ per loaf. I didn't even notice in the shop, only when I glanced at the receipt before throwing it away. But according to the TV news and my family and friends, similar price hikes are happening in the UK as well.

What I find madness in Mercadona is the fact that they have done away with their charcuteria counters so now you can only buy prepackaged cold meats and cheese. Why on earth have they done this, they don't even seem to be using the space for anything else, in my local branches at least.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Fri May 09, 2008 11:37 am

Still have them at all my local ones Free at Last.

bubba
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby bubba » Fri May 09, 2008 3:01 pm

chocolate milkshake gone from around 98 cents to 1,40 in a year. we find supersol good for meat, nothing better than seeing the chicken breasts taken out of the actual chicken, rather than the funny prepacked ones that dont seem to look like chicken.
Just come back from Ikea, its cafe is going down the pan already, brown lettuce and hair in the food ugh, which is a real phobia of mine. Coffee machine broken and dirty. did get a nice pink suitcase for 50 euros which comes with another case inside. their pricing is a bit confusing though.
am I veering off track, sorry.

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Tue May 13, 2008 9:45 pm

safeashouses wrote:Campo Kenny wrote:
I'm still looking for the knack of keeping it fresh for more than an hour :wink:
stick it in the freezer for ron. :D
Ron who?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Tue May 13, 2008 10:10 pm

Later Ron...............
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Wed May 14, 2008 12:44 am

well said katy,nobody yet has taken into account the poor wages,but i guess most regulars here dont need to work...

'Never had any problem with spanish bread, it goes too quickly to go stale. '
well said ron,you have obvouisly never tasted proper bread,spanish bread is very poor compared to an english master bakers produce

and i know i spelt a word wrong
jayne countys most famous song,google it

anyroads
Andalucia Guru

Postby anyroads » Wed May 14, 2008 11:14 pm

Cassandra said

"couldn't quite figure out if prices had gone up 3 times or 3 fold "

No, they meant since 3 o'clock that day !

anyroads