Dilemma...what to do with info

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Dilemma...what to do with info

Postby hillybilly » Fri May 30, 2008 11:16 pm

If you had pretty strong grounds and info to believe that the house (permanent home) of some good friends was not exactly...er...legal...would you tell them?
I don't think that they have any suspicions and I don't think that they know a great deal (if anything) about the whole building licence, demolition issues that are/have been in the news of late. They are "head in the sand" type people when it comes to anything remotely legal or financial. For example, whilst they are aware that they aren't paying IBI and have no electricity meter (but have "free" electricity) they consider these to be "bonuses".
Would it be best to let them continue to live in their state of ignorant bliss?

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri May 30, 2008 11:43 pm

My advice would be to let them carry on in ignorant bliss. This happens to us with monotonous regularity although virtually all of the people we know in this position are acquaintances rather than friends.

If someone asks us specifically about the legality of their house we go through the motions of 'checking it out' before giving an opinion but we also know a number of people who, despite having been advised of the the fact that the property they are interested in is a disaster waiting to happen, go ahead with the purchase because it is such a 'bargain'.

Whilst I believe that such people get what they deserve the ones I feel sorry for are those who have placed their trust in so-called Spanish 'professionals' such as lawyers, architects, estate agents and in some cases notaries and even property registrars.

Sorry to go on, Hilly, but in a word the answer to the last sentence of your post has to be 'Yes'.

El Cercardo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby El Cercardo » Sat May 31, 2008 12:39 am

Got to agree with Beach on this...they obviously know "best", so let them crack on I say. Even if you did tell them...would they really do anything about it?

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 31, 2008 8:36 am

Yes, probably leave it as they may not be able to do anything about it.

I know someone who is 73 and not renewed her UK licence and never pays local car tax, on the grounds that no-one has sent her a bill. I have told her but she says "I will look in to it"

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Sat May 31, 2008 8:53 am

Totally disagree with the others. The sooner they realise that there may be a problem, the more opportunity they have to possibly do something about it.

I would certainly want a friend to advise me.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

julian
Andalucia Guru

law

Postby julian » Sat May 31, 2008 8:57 am

how often in life I notice that the people who never worry about anything, and never try to have everything in order seem to plough on and nothing ever happens, whereas those that worry about everything and want everything 110% correct and clean end up having non-stop hassles.sometimes seems unfair but seems to be the way it goes.
I would leave them to enjoy their ignorant bliss, they are probably sitting there quietly and relaxing wondering why everyone else sends all their time worrying about everything !

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat May 31, 2008 9:47 am

Thats exactly true :)

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat May 31, 2008 9:56 am

It's a bit like the story that Dealer (poster on here) used to tell...........about the bloke who asks the manager in the bar if it was alright for him to light up after his meal........."No" said the manager.
The chap then points to a man at another table puffing on a huge cigar.
"Well why's he allowed to smoke that then?" asked the customer
"Because he never asked" replied the barman.

Kenny

MarkF
Resident

Postby MarkF » Sat May 31, 2008 10:01 am

I would keep quiet, what would they do? Probably nothing, all your good intention will have achieved is to bring stress to them.

pete_l
Resident

Postby pete_l » Sat May 31, 2008 10:03 am

Alan-LaCala wrote:Totally disagree with the others. The sooner they realise that there may be a problem, the more opportunity they have to possibly do something about it.

I would certainly want a friend to advise me.

Alan
Hmm, I suppose if depends on the "friend".
Although not in Spain, many years ago an acquaintance I worked with was planning to buy a new-build house in Maidenhead (the development was not too far from the Thames - and in an area that has a high housing density, this particular piece of land had not previously been touched). I told her that the land their new house was on was a flood plain and even pointed it out on the O.S. map. I was told to mind my own business.

A few years ago it flooded. I had lost touch with the couple, so don't know if they still lived there and I didn't feel inclinded to make any inquiries.

gretch
Resident

Postby gretch » Sat May 31, 2008 11:24 am

Difficult one this, as Pete_1 says, “it depends on the friend”.

One of the problems I find is that, whatever you tell some people, there’s always a ‘bar room lawyer’ that knows better, and they prefer to believe this person, simply because it suits their purpose better.

Me, I’d try to inform them without being pushy or dramatic, and then let it drop.
Later, if everything goes belly up, only then will you truly know if they are friends or not.

gretch

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Sat May 31, 2008 1:53 pm

I have been in a similar dilemma.

A few months ago I received a notification of an embargo on our bank account and found out we owed four years of IBI, having never had a bill. I looked up my husband's name on the Bopmalaga site and also found several of my neighbours names.

They weren't interested that they might owe money for IBI. "I always wait until I get a bill before I pay anything"! said one German neighbour.
"We haven't received anything from our bank" said another.

So, as usual, we paid our debt and everyone else gets away with it for another year!!

A Danish couple bought a plot of rustic land several years ago and have not been able to get permission to build on it. They had considered putting a mobile home there, but the town hall had said no. They are now happy because the town hall has given them permission to have a well drilled and they are applying for a building licence which should come through in three months time.

I have bitten my tongue and will not say anything.

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Sat May 31, 2008 2:48 pm

I looked up my husband's name on the Bopmalaga site and also found several of my neighbours names.
What is this? If it's somewhere you can check if you're up to date with everything, that would be great. Although I have a 'certificate' from the Town Hall saying I don't owe them anything, I do wonder sometimes as my IBI bills seem to be a lot less than other people's!

Also, re the original post, I agree the thing I would do is tell the people the facts, without going on and on....and then let it drop. At least your conscience will be clear should anything awful happen to their house!
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Sat May 31, 2008 3:02 pm

Give them the info and then leave them to decide what to do with it.

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 31, 2008 3:18 pm

You can check here to see if you have come to the attention of the authorities for any reason.

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat May 31, 2008 5:12 pm

Gosh, aren't there a lot of British names on there?! Worse, the above mentioned friend's name is on there...so, now what do I do?!
Sometimes, don't you just hate the power of the internet...

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 31, 2008 5:22 pm

campo babe wrote:...they are applying for a building licence which should come through in three months time...
This is very likely only to be for an almacen or casa de aperos.

Hilly, do they have internet access? Could you not find an excuse to demonstrate the phenomenon of the BoP to them then come up with the entry bearing their name?

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Sat May 31, 2008 5:56 pm

No, they have no internet access which is why they are pretty much in the dark about illegal houses etc etc...
I think I shall keep quiet for now but maybe try to arouse their curiosity next time they are at mine with the internet..."oooh look what you can find out these days...all this info available online...." :?

Campo Kenny

Postby Campo Kenny » Sat May 31, 2008 6:00 pm

What's the best way of using that site and what sort of info. does it give you?.........are you only on it if you are in the ****? :? :shock: If so I'd rather not check.

Cheers,
Kenny

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Sat May 31, 2008 6:15 pm

It basically tells you if you have missed payments to the town hall, social security etc. or the result or progress of any court case you may have been involved in.

Many of the English names which are listed are for non-payment of IBI, basura, car tax, social security payments etc.

It also shows any kind of notification in respect of your property which they may have been unable (or claim to have been unable) to deliver to you by post.