What do you really think of Gib

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:00 pm

I wouldn't like to live there either but most of the new apartments going up are only for a base and for tax purposes.

There are a few interesting places, the Chapel next to The High Commission, The Museum and Arab baths, the Upper Rock and caves (they have some good concerts in there). The Trafalgar Cemetery (read of all the diseases they died of in the garrison or in battle). There is night life there if thats what you want (still a lot of Army there). All the resaurants are full in the new Marina.

Have stayed at the Rock Hotel a few years ago and the afternoon tea was good, suppose it could have gone downhill though. Breakfast was served in the English Country House manner, everything under large silver tureens.

I am not fond of the place but most people don't go anywhere except Morrissons and main Street so how do they know!

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:08 pm

We went for the day with friends last year and I was pleasantly surprised by the place :D Probably because of everything I'd read on here and other forums about how dreadful it was :roll: It was also February so not a lot of tourists about and we were able to drive straight in and found a parking space very easily :D

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Sat Jun 14, 2008 5:17 pm

peteroldracer wrote:I think there are some real geniuses on here - one visit of a couple of hours and they have an accurate assessment of the place and its people....... :shock:
I have been numerous times and stayed overnight too and I agree with the general opinion of the town, although it does have some places of interest, as Katy says. However, a short day visit is often all that people do and surely first impressions count for a lot? How many people will tell their friends that it's not worth a visit and will not wish to return themselves? I saw it for the first time on a day trip from Tangier many years ago and wasn't particularly impressed, and that is still my opinion.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:35 pm

jwc wrote:When you have been once you don't really want or need to go back again.
I agree entirely with you jwc.
went a number of years ago. up the rock has nice views but really I don't know what the fuss is about. Nothing special imho
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

Lion
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Lion » Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:55 pm

Can't stand the place, crowded, conjested ghetto town, we only used to go there for the Morrisons to stock up on veggie foods, couldn't wait to get out of the place, wouldn't live there if I was offered a free place.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:59 am

Its a horrible place!
I lived in Gib for 6 months when we first moved here( for convienience)
Its a hell hole!
the main street is o.k.but when you get beyond main street there are sewage drains overflowing with sewage and toilet paper all running down the roads.the buildings are falling down.Its totally overpriced.
The people think they are british (when it suits)there is a lot of ill feeling between la linea and the gibbos,gib plated cars often get wrecked if left in spain...the gibbos are hated by the spaniards.even the gib road signs(if reachable)are defaced too.
I say,give it back to spain,they deserve it!
When the spanish border guards get peed off with the gibbos,they put on a go slow at the border to make everyones life a misery.
After living there for 6 months and going over into spain,it was like being released from prison.Its a horrible place.
I think now the spanish have realised that they can make money from the tourist business in Gibraltar and now La Linea is being done up,things will only get better for the spain side.
They do not like the english or the morrocan people,they are an extremely sheltered race,and some have never been out of Gibraltar.
The only thing worth buying is the fags and drink.Perfume isnt that much cheaper,and neither are electrical items,they are all imported from Morrocco :roll: (If you say you live in Gib,you get an extra 10% off perfume and make up in the shops)
Its good for a little bit of UK(shops wise)when you are feeling homesick.and thats it...they are a very strange breed of people,who do not except any other type but their own..

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:41 am

I have only been to Gib once, over 20 years ago. I was distinctly underwhelmed then and judging from the comments in this thread nothing much has changed so I don't plan to go back. I am happy to confine my "UK" shopping to a couple of visits to the real thing each year, in fact I'm just compiling my list for a weekend trip at the end of the month. So many shops, so little time.

kelly
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby kelly » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:42 pm

Gib missed an opportunity that was the joint sovernity policy Jack Straw was looking to do. That would have opened the border fully allowing the place to remain quintessentially British with a Spanish outlook similar to what Hong Kong has become but because of the anti Spanish racist attitudes of the voters there the chance was missed. Personally I feel the UK government should have just done it Spain is as democratic as the UK so why the fuss.

masterob
Andalucia Guru

Postby masterob » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:47 pm

But isn´t democracy about taking account of what the Gibraltarians wanted? :?

mijas bound
Resident

Postby mijas bound » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:50 am

just a little aside. if/when Britain goes into the euro, will Gib have to follow suit??
Via con DIABLO

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:37 am

Gib doesnt have to do anything it doesnt want to.It rules itself. :roll:

My hubby has been working on the new ocean village(marina bay)
He took me for the first time on Monday,as i hadnt seen it since it was all sea!.
I was absolutley amazed.Its fantastic.Its like being in a totally different place.It has some shops open already,Its well worth a trip.I would recommend anyone going to Gib to have a look.Very very nice.

cruella
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby cruella » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:54 pm

it really makes me think of the totally overcrowded parts of Hong Kong , very hot , dirty and smelly ...
only nice experience there to me seems to be the waiting for the barrier of the airport because a military plane has to pass first !

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:25 pm

Personally, I dislike Gibraltar as a place.
It is claustrophobic, parochial and everyone knows everyone else, (and their business, I bet!).
Once you have seen the caves, the top of the Rock and a very few other historic sites, that's it.
As other people have said, it is, apart from tobacco products, booze and perfumes very expensive. Most of the electronic goods may be bought just as cheaply in the UK. The food in Main Street is, frankly a rip-off, as are the beer prices.
Morrisson's is hugely expensive for most things - only go there for items you just can't get in Spain.
It is noticeable how many Gibraltarians have second homes in Spain. I would too, just to escape the constant cramped living "enjoyed" by the tower block dwellers.
I have to say, however, that all the Gibraltarian owners on our urbanisation - and there are a good few, as it was heavily marketed there - are without exception, very nice, friendly, people and a pleasure to have as neighbours.

aidan
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby aidan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:59 pm

I remember when Ocean village was started, they had a large artist's impression of the place with the Bay of Algeciras in the background, somehow they forgot to draw in the Oil refinery and the Iron smelting works. Gibraltarians are like all races a mixture of good and bad but what a horrible accent. Look forward to checking Ocean village out.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:03 pm

Wonder how many on here would be posting what a charming quaint little place it was if it was spanish :roll:

julian
Andalucia Guru

gib

Postby julian » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:31 pm

if it was spanish it wouldn´t be like it is ! :roll:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:19 pm

Hear Hear Julian! Well said!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

katy
Andalucia Guru

Re: gib

Postby katy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:56 pm

Yes, it would be like...La linea :lol:

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Re: gib

Postby karandjon » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:06 pm

Out of curiosity Katy, what is La Linea like? I admit to passing by it but not actually going in and looking around.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:11 pm

It is much improved, seems to get better every time I pass through. Lot of black spots though.