what are the Spanish kids like near you?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mijas bound
Resident

what are the Spanish kids like near you?

Postby mijas bound » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:32 am

may seem like an odd question but we went to Selwo marina to see the dolphins last week and there was a large group of school children at the park, they were probably 8-11 yrs old and were very noisy and very pushy. When my OH was trying to take pictures they were just pushing past her to see the animals.
I realise thgey were children and probably excited but i did nt expect them to be so ill mannered. I have spent a lot of time in France over the years and the French kids are far better behaved.
Via con DIABLO

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:28 am

I think what you have experienced in the Marina is the spanish culture in general,i think they push in wherever they are, adults included to get to the front of the ques.I have found this in most shops or places i have been..

HKM
Resident

Postby HKM » Wed Jun 18, 2008 11:51 am

I totally agree with Princess Peach..

I could be in Mercadona all day if I let everyone through with their one baguette then the husband follows with a full basket..

In the doctors in the line for an appointment these poor old dears who need to get to the front as the can't bear to be standing so just have to get to the front. Then I pass them on the daily walk out into the campo.. In the bank it is the same..

Events at the school, it is like a stampede to get into the hall, I have seen adults push other adults to the floor to get past..

And as for the 3 kings, the adults turn into something from another planet, pushing other adults, other kids, I have never seen anything like it.. All for the sake of a hardboiled sweet..

So if the kids have this lot to learn from is it any wonder?

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:01 pm

I reckon that "manners" can be defined roughly as "thinking and acting as if other people are worthy of at least as much consideration as oneself", and that is something very rare all over what used to be called 'the continent'.
Germans are probably the most different to Brits in general, followed closely by the Spanish, French, then Italians.
You see so many examples of this difference here every day - where and how people park, in shops, driving generally - that it must be a national charcteristic!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:16 pm

Spot on Peter

In the 4 years we have been here we´ve noticed lots of differences between British and Spanish behaviour. It is certainly not considered rude here to ask, say, a shop assistant a question as they are serving someone else. I was in a small shop the other day and the assistant was dealing with four people all at once!

Also, and I´ve mentioned this in the forum before, although me and OH hate to generalise by race or nationality, the Spanish do seem to have a poor grasp of what´s going on around their personal space. Count how many times they stand in exactly the most inconvenient spot, or are totally aware someone is around them.

The schoolchildren referred to are typical in their noise levels, and "pushing past" comes perfectly naturally to them. It´s certainly not intended to cause offence.

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:18 pm

peteroldracer wrote: The more someone says "You can't say that!" the more important it is that you do say it.c!
Excellent wit and in this pc world(uk) very important : :)
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:19 pm

Whereabouts in Preston, Jake? I´m a Chorley boy myself..........

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:28 pm

At the risk of boring people,I've sent you a pm :D
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:02 pm

The phrase most spoken to me....."What made you say that?"
anyway, anyway, love from me.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:33 pm

HKM wrote:I totally agree with Princess Peach..

I could be in Mercadona all day if I let everyone through with their one baguette then the husband follows with a full basket..

....and when the supermarket is busy and they open another till......all hell lets loose as the people at the end of the long queue go straight to the top of the new one!!

now i may be wrong, but in my eyes, we should move across to the new till in the order we were waiting at the busy one!!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:31 pm

Reading this has just made me realise that I've seen so much more of this over recent months/years, here in England. I've often thought maybe I was the stupid one for letting everyone else in while I stood like an idiot, still waiting.

metalmonkey
Resident

Postby metalmonkey » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:52 pm

what drives me totally insane here is when you are finally being served in a shop and then someone pushes past to just 'ask' the assistant a question which turns into a full 5 min conversation at the end of which they give them what they want!!! I'm afraid a couple of days ago I 'threw my dummy' in the bank , after waiting my turn I finally got to the Holy Grail to be told that I couldn't have the cash I'd ordered yet and to wait over there (with a gesture similar to swatting a fly) In my best spanish I said NO quite loudly (actually very loudly) and that I wanted to be served now. Would you believe it the assistant totally changed , served me and there were quite a few approving nods as I went out from the other customers....inland here the english are known as the 'Por Favors' infact on neighbour told me that if I wanted to fit in to stop saying please and thank you so much

ah well....
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up too much room

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Jun 19, 2008 1:17 am

who wants to 'fit in' with a bunch of ignorant bast erds,because thats what they can be,its worse on the coast in august,they walk 10 abreast on the pasio and dont budge,its like a game of british bulldog

do what my wife does,sly elbow then apologise then tap them on the head

shuts the gabbling goons up
jayne countys most famous song,google it

julian
Andalucia Guru

agh

Postby julian » Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:29 am

"they walk 10 abreast on the pasio"...either english or spanish please frog, no mixing the two in the same sentence...and if it´spanish please try to get it right....what´s a pasio?????

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Re: agh

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:13 am

julian wrote:"they walk 10 abreast on the pasio"...either english or spanish please frog, no mixing the two in the same sentence...and if it´spanish please try to get it right....what´s a pasio?????
Ho,Ho - touché to Frog!
:lol:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:07 am

well unless you are a complete fool,frog obviously means paseo.. :roll:
you lot are so pathetic sometimes. :roll:

anyway,back to the post....I have found the worst place for pushing in is the Post office....in mine...they que up in one que for posting the letters....but somehow they invisibly manage to que up for picking up a parcel in my que too....so,they push in in front of me,once they have posted the letter..and if they are not doing that,they are jumping in to ask a question... :roll:

julian
Andalucia Guru

frog

Postby julian » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:24 pm

please try to keep up princess...to quote frog......"will you english speaking people please stop using the few spanish words you know in an english sentence when speaking to an englishman"

pigs-might-fly
Andalucia Guru

Postby pigs-might-fly » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:30 pm

:D :D :D You've got it, Julian. :D :D :D

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:22 pm

speaking to an englishman
he isnt speaking to you is he???
In one of frogs previous posts he was actually saying how annoying it is when someone speaks half spanish and half english....
He only mentioned the word paseo.Havent you sad lot got nothing better to do.. :roll:
so if i had mentioned the word correos instead of post office in my last post would you have had a go then too???
I think not...
I think frog really rubs you up the wrong way...and he knows exactly how to reel you all in,and he does..every time... :lol: :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

frog

Postby julian » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:33 pm

aayyy...... princess...... princess