An Alternative Way To Help Abandoned Animals

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
Cassandra
Resident

An Alternative Way To Help Abandoned Animals

Postby Cassandra » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:15 pm

Kenny posted this in Troglodyfae's thread about her rescued dog and I'm sure there are a lot of other people who feel the same way.
Campo Kenny wrote:Have to agree................not enough people like you about, you sort of make me feel a bit useless when it comes to situations like that.

Kenny
Well it may not help that one dog but there is a way even those of you who are not in Spain can help. No, I don't mean send a whacking great donation (though that would be nice :wink: )

Send a volunteer!

PAWS-Patas who are based in Almeria have on-site accommodation for volunteers who want to come and work at the shelter for anything from 1 week to a few months. Anyone who loves animals and wants to work with them is welcome, students on a gap year or the long summer break or just someone looking for something different to do for their next holiday. PAWS can even work out a programme to tie into a university or college course as part of work experience requirements.

I know they still have space for this August so if you know anyone who might be interested, maybe even get rid of your own teenagers for the summer if they're threatening to come home from uni, then get them to have a look at the website http://www.paws-patas.org or send an enquiry to [email protected]

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 pm

Hi Cassandra, if only PAWS-patas wasnt so far away from me, i´d love to help out.

Do you know of anywhere near to Huelva where i could volunteer to help out?

Thanks

Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:20 pm

Sorry Karen I don't, I only really know the Almeria area. Hopefully someone who lives nearer to you can help or google perros abandonados as I know there are some private Spanish shelters around as well and they probably struggle for volunteers even more than we do.

In the meantime if you know of any students looking for something to do in the hols....

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:35 pm

Thanks Cassansra. I have had a search but cant find anything in this area at all. :cry:
Thanks anyway,
Karen
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:18 pm

Brilliant post :D It just takes a few individuals to make a difference and it is not a pocket thing just a time thing and really not that much time. But wow! what a difference that would make. Come on folks spare a bit of your time it will make you feel better, kinder, you will love it :D

Besos Trog

samantha
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby samantha » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:53 pm

Hi there, Jane and Allan at Pepi's Refuge also desperately need help, with dogwalkers, cleaning out, building assitence anything really, they are in Pedrera, 15 mins from Aguadulce, Sierra de Yeguas, 30 mins from Campillos, 15 mins from Estepa, 30 mins from Osuna aprrox, they are a lovely couple who have given up their home and grounds to run an independent refuge, there are over 50 dogs there, they are always very welcoming, even if you just want to pop to have a look at the dogs, they will always offer a cup of tea and a chat !!
Please support Pepi´s Dog Refuge
www.pepisdogrefuge.com

MrsP
Resident

Postby MrsP » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:32 pm

All the rescue centres can post on Almeria Rescue Centre for free. If anyone wants a new category for their rescue centre, please let me know.
Chris

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:39 pm

I help out with APARiV, a rescue centre near Rincon de la Victoria.
If anybody wants to volunteer to help, or adopt a dog or two, then please get in touch with me.

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Jun 25, 2008 8:21 pm

What a brilliant idea - makes me wish I was already over there. I'll look forward to being of some help once I'm there. Also wish I had a teenager to get rid of for the summer. When my daughter was in her teens she'd have begged to be able to go - helping animals AND in Spain.

spanish_lad
Andalucia Guru
Location: Alhaurin el Grande since 99, cartama campo since 2022

Postby spanish_lad » Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:58 pm

a woman by me has 44 dogs on her property awaiting homes... :shock:
Alhaurin el Grande since 99, working at the airport since 2011.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:56 pm

spanish lad wrote
a woman by me has 44 dogs on her property awaiting homes
and how are the cats going down James?
Have you found homes for them all yet? :lol: