Where will the dog go ?

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
gente
Andalucia.com Amigo

Where will the dog go ?

Postby gente » Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:09 pm

A friend is arriving at Malaga airport with her dog from England ,Does anyone know where the dog will go on arrival, will it be the main Terminal or is there another Place? I am trying to organise a Taxi that will pick her up, an extra large dog box and all my friends stuff, have been quoted 35-40 euros To Fuenguirola, Does this seem ok? am just trying to organise the logistics , Thanks in advance for your help

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:11 pm

Our huge English mastiff - 15 stone - came on the luggage conveyor belt in the main terminal, despite pleas from us to allow him porterage through a side door, on a big trolley.
We explained he was too big and the previous airlines had allowed him access via a side door.
He nearly caused the crate to fall off the belt when he saw us, barking with joy, swaying the big box from side to side, after a 10 hour flight !
Fortunately, four kindly holidaymakers helped us to get him down from the moving belt before any catastrophe struck.
I should imagine your friend's dog will still come through the main terminal unless the rules have changed since then.
Your quote is quite good for transport, I think. We had to hire a van.
Good luck with the pick up, it's nerve racking thinking about it, but not so bad when you do it and folk can be very helpful.

Laslomas
Resident

Postby Laslomas » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:28 pm

Our two cats came out on the main luggage belt - so I think that must be the norm.

Sadie
Resident

Postby Sadie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:23 pm

I think it depends on airline used, I know I see a lot of pets on the luggage belts but when my cat arrived he was taken straight off the plane prior to luggage and taken straight to the main cargo office which is where the airline told me he would be taken. I used Monarch airlines.

freecatsrus
Resident

Postby freecatsrus » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Our cats had to be picked up from cargo area, way out at the end of the airport, wouldnt suggest you walk either like we did, we were told it was just down the end and it was miles away LOL

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:32 pm

It also depends on whether the dog is being shipped as animal cargo or as excess baggage.................

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:40 pm

Our dog has come through 3 times.. Both times when he had officially entered Europe through France he came down the conveyor belt and the one time he arrived from Amsterdam and had not been "entered " into Europe he came in at the oversize luggage enclosure just before leaving the baggage area

Fred

Beachcomber
Andalucia Guru

Postby Beachcomber » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:14 pm

Until I picked up the comment about the crate I had an image of a huge dog sitting patiently, going round on the conveyor belt, with his tongue hanging out waiting to be claimed by his owner. Image

My wife wants to know why I keep breaking out in fits of uncontrolled mirth. :lol:

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:45 pm

We collected the cats from the cargo area - flew with Thomson. Maybe they treat cats and dogs differently
AlisonB

Pink Lady
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Pink Lady » Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:07 am

Your not the only one I had a similar vision for a few moments !!

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:26 am

Our two cats came out on the conveyer belt and they flew Monarch - I was on the same plane. I was told beforehand they would arrive at cargo so I was a bit shocked to emerge from passport control to see them circling around the belt to the amusement of my fellow passengers - someone could have walked off with my little darlings :shock:

I would advise your friend to wait at the belt first, just in case, regardless of what she is told!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:11 pm

I didn't say, but the cats flew separately to us - we came out the week before to get ready for them. So they would still be on the belt now if that's what they had done with them
AlisonB

alexander1
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby alexander1 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:39 pm

geegee wrote:Our two cats came out on the conveyer belt and they flew Monarch - I was on the same plane. I was told beforehand they would arrive at cargo so I was a bit shocked to emerge from passport control to see them circling around the belt to the amusement of my fellow passengers - someone could have walked off with my little darlings :shock:

I would advise your friend to wait at the belt first, just in case, regardless of what she is told!
We have used Monarch three times but cat arrived at the cargo area as advised. How strange. Would save a lot of time and effort if they came on the luggage belt!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:07 pm

If you book your pets in on the same flight as you that is shipping them as excess baggage and means they will arrive on the luggage belt and not via cargo. It sometimes costs a little more but makes it a much shorter journey for the animals..........plus they do take good care to not mix animals that may stress each other on the flight......

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Sun Jul 20, 2008 12:26 pm

Yes, that confirms what happened to our big mastiff coming in on the conveyor belt then, Jool.
He was booked as excess baggage, arriving from Venezuela, so that's probably why didn't end up in cargo. Didn't know that. Still think it was a bit daft of them though, to put him on it.