Anyone live in Antequera?

Looking for information on a place in Andalucia or simply asking for advice on somewhere to visit? Post here and someone out there may know the answer.
alisonb
Resident

Anyone live in Antequera?

Postby alisonb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:09 am

A couple of questions for anyone living in Antequera

1. Do you use or have you heard any reports about a company called WifiMax? They have just taken over provision of internet from Vinuela town hall. THey are promising all sorts, but do they deliver? At the moment their services seem to be limited to Antequera. Anything blasphemous, please send pm.

2. We're going to the Blues Festival, with our daughter in law and husband. It's their anniversary so we'd like to take them for a meal somewhere Spanish (preferably fish) before the concert. It's in Plaza Santa Maria. Any suggestions?
AlisonB

hillybilly
Andalucia Guru

Postby hillybilly » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:19 am

Sorry, can't help with your questions but doesn't the Antequera Blues Festival have an absolutely **** website?! Appalling layout, lack of info, not at all user-friendly IMHO. Am sure the event itself will be great tho!

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:15 am

It most certainly does! Doesn't even tell you how to get tickets. But I emailed them on the link, and a really helpful lady called Barbara got back to me with all the details. In fact everyone has been helpful. They are showing the Blues Band on 26th, but their website doesn't list it in the tour dates. So I emailed them as well, and they also got straight back to me, confirming that they are on. So hopefully the festival will be good.
AlisonB

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:06 pm

There are no tickets, all the events are free !

Here is the full program:

ANTEQUERA BLUES FESTIVAL 2008

11 Julio - Damas del Rythm&Blues - Patio San Zoilo -
SHARRIE WILLIAMS & The Wise Guys (USA)

12 Julio – Damas del Rythm&Blues – Patio San Zoilo –
DVORA DAVIS (uk)

18 Julio - Damas del Rythm&Blues – Patio San Zoilo -
NORA JEAN BRUSO BLUES BAND (USA)

19 Julio – Damas del Rythm&Blues – Patio San Zoilo -
DEBORAH J. CARTER (USA)

21 Julio – Palabras de Blues - Patio San Zoilo
LOS REYES DEL K.O

22 Julio – Palabras de Blues - Patio San Zoilo
ALAN BIKE & THE CRAZY TOYS

23 Julio – Palabras de Blues - Patio San Zoilo
EDU BIG HANDS & WHISKY TRAIN

24 Julio – FESTIVAL – Plaza Castilla -
FUNKDACION
LA BANDA DE BRALLAN

25 Julio – FESTIVAL – Santa María -
JAY KAYE BAND ( U.K.)
CONNIE LUSH & BLUES SHOUTER ( U.K.)
SHERMAN ROBERTSON & BLUES MOVE (USA)

26 Julio – FESTIVAL – Santa María –
C.J. CHENIER & HIS RED HOT LOUISIANA BAND (USA)
THE BLUES BAND ( U.K.)
SOFT MACHINE (U.K.)

11-12-18-19 Julio: MADAGASCAR CLUB DE BLUES –
Patio San Francisco – After - 23.30
SUZETTE MONCRIEF & DUO

Presentador – MINGO BALAGUER (armónica)

Conciertos comienzan a las 22.30 horas

www.antequerabluesfestival.com

Cheers, Barry

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:27 pm

alisonb,

The last 2 concerts are at the Santa Maria, due to start at 10:30pm, there will be a few thousand people there, if you want a seat get there at 9pm latest. As most restaurants in Antequera do not open till 8pm you will be pushed to have a meal before the concert.

Cheers, Barry

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:34 pm

ashfieb

Thanks for that posting ..we will definitely make a few. Used to go to the Mississippi Valley Blues Fest when we lived in the midwestern states .

Fred

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:46 pm

See you there Fred !

Cheers, Barry

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:43 pm

Thanks. Looks like it will be lunch not dinner then, and a picnic whilst we're waiting for it to start
AlisonB

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:47 pm

Would have loved to have gone, but 10.30 start is way past my bedtime.

Why do they start soooooooooooooooo late.

We went to the Estepona Blues festival a couple of years back. Supposed to start at 10. First band got going at midnight. By 2 we were nodding off. As we left there were little kids playing in the street, whilst parents were sitting having coffees etc. Why can't I hack it, like what they can? :oops:

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 2:46 pm

Rick - know what you mean. We went to Granada to see John Mayall last year. He was due to start at 9.30. But the Barcelona/Granada flight was held up and he arrived at 11.45. But he was brilliant, and if he can get up on stage and do that at 70 odd years old, we can't complain. It was in the Cultural Centre in Atarfe. What a fabulous place - all copper clad outside, in the middle of traditional single storey white houses. And inside it has more wood than the rest of Andalusia put together.
AlisonB

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:23 pm

Yep, John Mayall is good. We went to see him with Peter Green's splinter group a while back. Peter Green has always been a hero of mine, but when they played Man of the World as an instrumental because Peter can't sing it no more I nearly wept

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:48 pm

alisonb

HI

It was a long time ago but had a lovely and relatively cheap 5 course meal . It was a restaurant that I think was called La Espuela (or something similar) on a side street right behind the church of San Augustin. I know the restaurant is still there as I have been by recently but it was rather fancy and did not stop as I usually have my mutt with me. I do remember at the time thinking the same meal would have cost me twice as much somewhere else..wine and brandy etc where included in the price of the meal. If the tourist map I have is up to date it is just behind the church on the corner of Calle Infante Don Fernando and Calle Carreteros.

Hope that is of some help

Fred

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:54 pm

The Espuela is just behind the church on the corner of Calle Infante Don Fernando and Calle San Agustin, at the end of the terrace is the Espuela, but much better and cheaper is Meson Juan Manuel in the same terrace half way down. They do nice fish and not at fancy prices !

Cheers, Barry

alisonb
Resident

Antequera and heros

Postby alisonb » Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:50 pm

Thanks Fred and Barry. Will give it a go if it's open in time.

Rick - we saw Peter Green at Harrogate a few years back. THe best thing they could have done was let him retire in peace. It was awful to see him. I can't imagine why they did it, other than to get money from people who remembered how good he was.

And on the subject of gods - we just missed Bill Frisell at Almunecar a couple of years ago. We hadn't been here long and didn't realise the lack of advertising for festivals here. I bet he doesn't come here again for years. Him indoors was mortified, and I wasn't too happy myself.

And finally, are we the only ones disappointed with the program at Almunecar this year? We went a few times last year and it was brilliant, but don't fancy this year at all
AlisonB

RichardCoeurdeLion
Andalucia Guru

Postby RichardCoeurdeLion » Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:42 pm

Not familiar with Bill Frisell

What does he do?

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:48 pm

He's a jazz guitarist, with an enormous repertoire. Take a look at his website - www.billfrisell.com - I think there are some music clips on there. He's absolutely brilliant, and we were lucky enough to see him in Leeds about 4 years ago. And then we just missed him at Almunecar!
AlisonB

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:29 am

Just back from the UK, so I missed the first concerts, but last night was fantastic, Nora Jean was great and the venue is amazing and it started on time !

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=-ix2L2X6l8M

Tonight it is DEBORAH J. CARTER

Cheers, Barry

alisonb
Resident

Postby alisonb » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:38 pm

Well, we went last night. Fabulous place, even if we had to climb hundreds of steps to get there. Atmosphere was great, concert too, although if Soft Machine appeared, it was after 1am when when we left to drive home.
AlisonB

ashfieb
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ashfieb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:01 pm

Hi Alisonb !

Yes it is great venue as are the venues for the earlier concerts and all free of charge !

Soft machine did play:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=RKe_VbXz51Q

also:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MXoikh8gbW4

And:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sa9zLUCdMCI

Cheers, Barry