Pomegranate bush

Are you looking for information or help in the garden. Post your agriculture, flora and fauna questions, suggestions and comments here.
fearfulfred
Resident

Pomegranate bush

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:30 pm

Hola all

I have bought myself a pomegranate bush but know next to nothing about them. Anyone ever grown any and have any idea if they like the sun here? I have several options from full sun to partial shade , the ground is red clay and most things do very well. Just could not resist something I had not seen before

Fred

ValL
Resident

Postby ValL » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:05 pm

Ours is on a very sunny wall border and doing fine after having been moved from shaded border where it was doing alright.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:01 pm

We have some in pots and some in the ground, all in full sun and all seem to do well. They do seem to begin to fail after about 5 years but by then you will probably have been able to collect some seeds and bring on replacements.
Life is 'ard den you die!

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:51 pm

Has anyone had any fruit?

We have a 4 year old one, now about 3m tall and we get loads of flowers but no fruit at all.

Sid

geegee
Resident

Postby geegee » Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:30 am

We have lots of pomegranate trees around our veg plot and we get more fruit than we know what to do with. I guess they may have been planted many many years ago. They are very mature and get absolutely no attention from us. Our soil varies from clay to sand and the trees are in both full sun and shade, so I guess once established they are pretty tough customers.

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:27 pm

Our pomegranates have flowered and fruited since their second year but they are only ornamental bush type not trees.

I guess trees probably take much longer to reach fruiting stage.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:41 pm

HI

we've just planted it so will keep you updated. Already had small fruit when we bought it but suspect it will lose those due to the shock of a new home etc.
Thanks all for the info

Fred

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Some interesting reading here Sid, particularly the pruning.

http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/pomegranate.html

I'll ask Antonio when I'm next out. He grows them at the bottom of our gully. He gave us some last year.......... huge, bigger than grapefruit, dark red and luscious :)
Sandramay

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:46 pm

Don't know if you have found answers to your question yet fearfulfred but I heard on the radio today that pomegranate trees will usually drop their fruit or fail to make any until they are at least 5 years old unless the conditions are exactly right for them. Apparently they are self-setting, however, so one tree will do the thing eventually.

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Fri Sep 05, 2008 6:47 pm

Hola
The tree seems to be settling in. It was small and had a few fruits on it..They're still there but don't think we will be here to se them this year. i water a bit sporadically because it can't have the root system needed yet . But it has survived so far and hopefully will be strong enough to get through the winter.
Thanks for asking

Fred

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:28 pm

Hi Fred, Just make sure when you do water you water well, so that it soaks right in to the ground to encourage deep rooting. Mulch round it to retain the water.
Grouser

fearfulfred
Resident

Postby fearfulfred » Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:19 pm

Grouser
Will do so , as much as possible, its on a rather steep slope. Must tell you I did get a passion flower established and it is just coming into bloom again. Hopefully it will take over from the sweet pea next year
Thanks Fred

Grouser
Resident

Postby Grouser » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:40 am

Excellent Fred. Well done.
Grouser

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:29 pm

I have tried and tried to get rid of one of my pomegranate trees to no avail.. (it really is in the wrong place and I already have one enormous one!)....self seeding is indeed the word!!! And I too do nothing with or to mine but it is covered in fruit year after year (5 years now and had obviously been there for several years before that!)....
I would dearly love a passion flower though....!!!
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full