wild life in our garden

Are you looking for information or help related to pets in Andalucia. Post your questions and advice about domestic pets, veterinary services, legal issues.
Big Col
Andalucia.com Amigo

wild life in our garden

Postby Big Col » Wed Aug 06, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Folks

Found a snake yesterday with attitude, it didnt like the broom and didnt appreciate my screaming, :oops: :oops: so I ran,hopped and skipped back in doors :lol:

we have a few gekos, we also got a mouse, 3 dogs,
2 grandchildren and the quitest of them all are the loads of bats drinking from our pool at night :roll: .

the more brandy I drink the more bats i see :roll:

Really is Brillient to watch.

the wild life is fantastic

Got to go now and get sharon or kelly to put the grandchildren back out side where they belong, They are very sweet little things but when they move they are just too fast for me to control my primal urge to scream yet again!

Big Col xxx

country boy
Andalucia Guru

Postby country boy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Hi Col,
There is something "Primal" about snakes. I am a wildlife lover and try to do the right thing for all creatures, but snakes :roll: There was a Ladder snake coming down off our roof last year with a baby sparrow in it's mouth, I know it's only nature but I can't stand 'em, they give me the creeps. Don't blame you for scarpering indoors...have another cognac, purely to calm the nerves of course. Cheers :wink:

julian
Andalucia Guru

snakes

Postby julian » Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:54 pm

my neighbour in monda saw a snake in his garage a couple of weeks ago and as no one was prepared to go in to find it amongst all the stuff stored inside he parked the car outside the garage with the engine running and ran a hose from the exhaust pipe in through the garage window !!

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:48 pm

I feel quite embarrassed to admit that I have a real snake phobia :oops: and it's the one thing that could put me off being in Spain but I'm determined to cope with it. Then just a few weeks ago my neighbour's dad kindly told me all about the snake he'd just found (dead) on the road almost outside our house. Although I know of quite a few areas round York where there are snakes, I'd kidded myself that it would be ok here! But the thought of that one coming down from the roof does freak me out a bit.

katy
Andalucia Guru

Postby katy » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:05 pm

The lock on our electric meter for the pool has been broken for a while. My OH went to close it a few weeks ago as the wind had blown it open...inside was a huge snakeskin! Also had one in the pool (whilst I was swimming :shock: ) and one of the cats brought a tiny one indoors. I am scared of snakes, they really give me the creeps. Can cope with tree rats, lizards and the occasional wild Boar, snakes and spiders aggggh!

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:16 pm

We had wild boar plough up our garden at our last property, so much damage!!
All I have now at this house are geckos, all seem to like living in my flower pots, and I have hoopoes feed off the lawn all through summer.
Never seen a snake (don't want to) but had plenty in Florida, armadillos, plus an aligator in next doors garden!! And one day turned around in the kitchen and an egret was blocking the way out, he got quite nasty too!! He used to terrorise the neighbourhood.
It seems pretty safe here!

tidal
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby tidal » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:29 pm

I like snakes
and spiders
and even scorpions
I am normally fairly unworried by most of the local wildlife.

Well........apart from the female boar and family I met whilst walking back along the rambla after twilight not long ago. :shock:
She was NOT friendly, wouldn't take a hint and after dodging around in the trees for a while, I eventually phoned for a lift home.

Needless to say this has caused no end of amusement in the family :oops:

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:57 am

I know this was meant for Spanish wildlife, but I couldn't resist......

In our garden in England we had a family of polecats living under our shed ! They were soooo cute !!

I'd put some pictures on, but don't know how to do it....

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:09 pm

I like snakes and most other things, not spiders though but a tarantula ok........even scorpions don´t bother me so long as I am not in striking distance of them, but those angry red centipedes that attack a broom etc.....they really bother me..................

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:49 pm

I'm with you Jools. And what is worst, if you inadvertently cut one in half whilst trying to dispose of it the two halves wriggle off in opposite directions. UGH!!!!!!
Life is 'ard den you die!

JAKE M
Resident

Postby JAKE M » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:11 pm

chrissiehope wrote:
In our garden in England we had a family of polecats living under our shed ! They were soooo cute !!
Hi Chrissie, how did you know they were from poland?
There is no such thing as gravity-Earth sucks

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:42 pm

Jake,

It was the accent that gave them away :lol: , and the way they kept the telephone wires off the ground :wink:

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:52 pm

Serves you right Jake - well done Chrissie. :lol:
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:00 pm

Needless to say this has caused no end of amusement in the family
Sorry Bro but when you get a phone call late at night, being told "I am being hunted by wild boars", there has to be some expectation of a **** take :lol: :lol: We came and got you didn't we? :wink:

Anyway it is not the wild boar you have to watch around here it is the marauding scorpions, they hunt in packs :shock:

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:43 pm

We have snakes as I have found three huge snakeskins so far - over one metre! It's quite scary even though I know the snakes are not dangerous I'm not a fan. When I walk into the slightly wilder part of our finca I stomp quite loudly. Not because snakes can hear, apparently they are deaf, but they can feel the vibrations of the earth. As they are shy and timid things they get out of the way and lie low. I've seen a few snakes in our lane while I've been in the car but, so far, no actual snake on the finca. Roll on October when the pesky things go off to hibernate.

Troglodyfae
Resident

Postby Troglodyfae » Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:45 pm

Do scorpions hibernate? Or do they just shuffle off somewhere and die

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:35 pm

No idea but maybe it depends whether they've had a good enough feast on one of us unsuspecting humans! Hope your bite has healed now.

chrissiehope
Andalucia Guru

Postby chrissiehope » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:26 pm

Here are those cats from Poland..... :wink:

Cute or what.....??

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:34 pm

wow, they are the cutest chrissie!!!! :lol:
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Sun Aug 10, 2008 3:59 pm

I found a huge lizard dead in our pool this morning- he wasn´t there first thing. He was beautiful, a dark green with blue spots and about 18 inches long maybe a bit more. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Wish I could have saved him in time :cry: :cry: :cry: