Currencies Direct

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
cfc.Kimo
Andalucia.com Amigo

Currencies Direct

Postby cfc.Kimo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:48 am

Has anyone had any dealings with the above company ?

Does someone have their web site details so I can compare rates ?

Thanks.

Coin Boy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Coin Boy » Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:52 am

We've been using them for about six or seven years http://www.currenciesdirect.com/uk/

Julie
Andalucia Guru

rates

Postby Julie » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:39 pm

We have also used them on several occasions, with no problems, but I think you will have to ring them to negociate a rate, i usually ask if they can do a better rate, no matter what rate they first tell me, usually improves slighty then too
No soporto ver la casa sucia, ahora mismo me levanto y apago la luz.

Sandramay
Resident

Postby Sandramay » Tue Aug 19, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi cfc.kimo, yes we have used them with no problems and far better than bank rates. Do a search for lots more postings and details.
Sandramay

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:18 pm

hi cfc.Kimo, we too have used them regularly, and have found them competitive. Like Julie says, ask them for a better rate than what they first give you...this always works.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:34 am

If it's not for a big amount, why not get hold of Nationwide cards where you can withdraw currency and pay by card.

Over the last 2 months, we have been charged within 5 centimos of the official interbank rate - not sure whether any of the currency people can match that.

If it's a big amount you need, shop around with HIFX, Currencies Direct etc etc.

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:55 pm

I used to use Currencies direct but they were getting hard work, they wanted new utility bills for proof of address etc, they made a fuss about transfering my cash to them electronically so I switched to HIFX. I am pleased because you can do all of the deal by telephone and online without having to fax documents etc. When I get a quote, I allways say something like, " I was hoping to get a little more than That " sometimes it works and you can squeeze a few more points from them.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:14 pm

thats handy to know gronc, about not having to fax documents to complete the deal. Bit of a pain here where i am. Would much prefer to complete the deal with a fone call or on-line.
What is needed to set up an account with HIFX?
Thanks
Karen

Cassandra
Resident

Postby Cassandra » Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:05 pm

I know most of you are moving money the other way but we've just moved out euros from the house sale back to the UK with Currencies Direct.

Bancaja transferred it the them within a couple of hours and CD put it into our bank account on the same day, excellent service :D

I think it helped that our bank is a division of HSBC, which is CD's bank but even so we didn't expect it to be that quick and some credit has to go to Bancaja for not hanging on to our money in a suspense account as some of the Spanish banks like to do when they receive it!

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 4:21 pm

Thanks for the PM Gronc.

Karen

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:15 pm

I've been using Currencies Direct for 3 years now and have always received and returned the contract note by email attachment with no problem and I'm surprised that they insist on you faxing it.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:41 pm

Do you have a facility for putting a signature on it, malagaman? I dont, so need to sign it and return via fax.

Regards

Karen

malagaman2005
Resident

Postby malagaman2005 » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:37 pm

No what I do is print out the contract note they send me, complete and sign it, then scan it onto the 'puter and return as an attachment, a bit fiddly but still only takes a few minutes and of course you then have a copy file on the 'puter and a hard copy. As I said that's how I've always done it unless now of course they've changed their system since the last time which was about a month ago.
" If at first you don't succeed then skydiving is not for you"

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 5:56 pm

No, thats what i meant when asking if you had a facility for putting a signature on your email contract. I dont have a scanner, so have no way of sending across a signed copy other than via fax.
HIFX´s way sounds a lot more easier for me.
Thanks
Karen