Draft modification forum terms and conditions for comment

This section is designed to let the Andalucia.com community know about any improvements or alterations to the forums and to post questions and comments about the forums themselves.
andalucia
Site Admin

Draft modification forum terms and conditions for comment

Postby andalucia » Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:46 pm

Draft modification forum terms and conditions for comment.

This forum's purpose is to provide information about Andalucia to help tourists enjoy the region and foreign residents settle and integrate into the local and international culture.

Relevance to Andalucia: Keeping to the forums purpose we prefer posts to be relevant to Andalucia. We accept posts that also relate to other parts of Spain particularly in the Travel and Tourism section, and accept posts about issues generally affecting 'expatriates' living abroad. We discourage posts without any relevance to Andalucia (except in the Amigos Lounge). We generally discourage posts about world events, members home country events, politics or television programmes. Although we allow a margin of leeway in the General section.

Courteousy and Respect: Members are encouraged to post and respond in a courteous manner and to be respectful of other users at all times. Our preferred board etiquette is for members to respond to posts with useful or relevant information that pertains to the subject of the thread. We discourage posts that are provocative, unnecessarily critical, attacking, bullying, ridiculing others.

Critical of Posts: Members are discouraged from making critical posts that unnecessarily question the motives or the wisdom of other posts. This applies in particular to the posts and questions from ‘newbie’ members.
Material which does not comply to these terms and conditions may be edited or moved into another section or deleted. We do not keep records of deleted postings and can not debate why a moderator deleted a specific posting.

gerryh
Andalucia Guru

Postby gerryh » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:13 pm

Where do I find the current terms and conditions to see what has changed?

Cheers
Gerry
Gerry Harris

andalucia
Site Admin

Postby andalucia » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:24 pm

The easiest way is to click on "register" when not logged in to the forum.

min200
Tourist

Postby min200 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:28 pm

Being new here can I just say a few words.

What you have stated in essence is spot on. People do mainly come to this type of forum initialy for information vast and wide on the area and help/advice on a huge number of topics relating to working/moving or just holidaying here.

But alot of people come to such forums to make friends and have a bit of a banter. This can be a lifeline for many who are new out in Andulucia or who are lonely or housebound. Many friendships are made through these types of sites that would not have been made in any other way, or perhaps couldn't be made at all.

You will always get some banter on some posts and I think, in the short time I have been an active member here, this will be more so due to the segregation of your Amigos lounge.

You will have many "newbies" that have little to offer upon advice on this area so will struggle to make new friends within the forum and never make the 250 required posts.

Unfortunatly there will always be those that only moan and this is apparent across all the forums of this area as well as many others.

I hope that this post is taken in the constructive criticism that it is intended as I am not one to just moan about nothing. I do not hide under any other user names and min200 is used across the board on all sites.

Above all I hope this was at least in some way a bit helpfull.

BENIDORM
Andalucia Guru

Postby BENIDORM » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:40 pm

I hope that it works......
If I didn't have a skin a thick as a Rhinocerous, I would have been long gone by now, .....after all of the attacks I've had against me from the few 'maladjusted ' members / staff...... :wink:

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:50 pm

min200,can i just say that i totally agree with what you have just written,maybe if there was another section that was perhaps titled "banter" where everyone could go ,That way the newbies can make friends,enjoy some banter..and the miserable ones of the forum,can clik on the regular stuff and save their whinging for the "lounge"

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:33 pm

princess peach wrote:min200,can i just say that i totally agree with what you have just written,maybe if there was another section that was perhaps titled "banter" where everyone could go ,That way the newbies can make friends,enjoy some banter..and the miserable ones of the forum,can clik on the regular stuff and save their whinging for the "lounge"
Read paragraph 3 - Courtesy and Respect.

min200
Tourist

Postby min200 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:11 pm

I dont want to be starting a war here.

I will contribute and try to have some fun on the way but I will not take sides.

What I have written is my opinion and a constructive criticism as was asked for.

Lifes too short guys to be snapping at each others heels. Most of you are living the dream, my dream crashed and burned but hey I spent alot of time out there and hope that at some point I can help somone out who is chasing theirs.

Sit back relax and enjoy life.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:35 pm

Personally I am in agreement with these changes and as they seem fair and clear to me.. Para 3 has been broken by several members of this forum on numerous occasions...... some of whom post frequently, will all their prior aggressive/bullying or unnecessary posts now be removed?

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:00 pm

jool wrote
will all their prior aggressive/bullying or unnecessary posts now be removed
Jool,what one person sees as bullying and aggressive another person doesnt.
I suppose it depends on which admin member is in charge of removing posts.Obviously whoever it is doesnt consider the posts that have been left as bullying and aggressive,otherwise they wouldve been removed already.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:21 pm

As the new rules have not yet been applied and are still up for discussion I don´t agree that you are correct but you make a good point, where will the line be drawn as it is obviously still going to be subjective to a certain extent........ Perhaps it would be useful for Admin to give a few examples of posts that would fall foul of the new rule 3, if the moderators agree there are any already posted, to give us more of a concrete idea?? Admin??

As I have said elsewhere for me it all depends on HOW anyone writes anything and the tone it conveys. I find a lot of your posts, especially towards certain forum members, quite aggressive in tone and at times downright bullying. I don´t propose to have a slanging match about this with you, I´m just stating that is my reaction to the WAY you present many of your arguments. At other times you can be quite helpful, especially to new members.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:05 pm

Hi Jool,I am up for any constructive critisim. :D

[/quote]I find a lot of your posts, especially towards certain forum members, quite aggressive in tone and at times downright bullying[quote]

Im sorry if it comes across that way,But Members constantly getting picked on for spelling and punctuation really annoys me and that could be considered as also bullying,However,I personally see it as nitpicking and very rude.

It is going to be impossible for admin to pick out posts that they deem as aggressive.the list will be neverending for them.
:shock:

I do actually find 98% of A.com members absolutley lovely,they are decent to me and it gets returned three fold.Its the other miserable 2% that constantly whinge that get to me.Keep repeating the same old same old.
I am not an agressive person,i am very happy, but i will stick up for anyone who i think is decent and correct in what they say.Perhaps this comes across as bullying to sensitive people,i dont know...Perhaps admin also dont see my posts as bullying,Mischevious yes,but not bullying.
I would be very sad to find that i had upset a member with what i posted,most of it is written with tongue in cheek,and not meant to be nasty,with the exception of two members in particular.

alaninspain
Resident

Postby alaninspain » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:48 pm

O am sure Admin realise Peachy is a little mischief, and likely to misconstrue perfectly decent statements deliberately. Just today she has done it again with a reply to Beni, I sit here blushing with all the innuendos. However, for the sake of decorum and niceties I will continue to monitor her postings, even though she has laughed at my misfortunes.
:oops:
My brain works like lightning -one flash and it's gone

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Aug 22, 2008 8:50 am

I am asking for feedback from others on this but I don´t think I have ever picked on an individual or been aggressive or bullying in my tone towards them where grammar or punctuation is concerned? If anyone thinks I have please let me know - to me bullying is the WAY things are done and my comments have been aimed in general at everyone who cannot be bothered to write a literate post. Even dyslexics understand the need for capital letters at the beginning of a sentence and a post so to me a lack of attention and refusal to write a literate post (even if with spelling errors which I have never commented on) it is pure laziness and disrespect to other forum members.

PP -
most of it is written with tongue in cheek,and not meant to be nasty,with the exception of two members in particular.
In your own words you admit to being deliberately nasty to 2 forum members which puts you in breach of rule 3 and rule 4 .........and I think shows you have chosen to personalise things in a very critical manner.

I like your mischievousness and your humour and you can be very kind but your other posts spoil it for me........and create unneccesary friction and negative energy on the forum. Some members have clearly left because of this as it is just so energy consuming and most people don´t want to read arguments between others on a supposedly friendly and supportive forum, we are capàble of having enough of our own in reality.........

There is another local forum where the atmosphere is now so bad thanks to a few members who personalise everything that many decent people (or perhaps I should say people who behaved decently on the forum) are leaving and a breakaway forum has now been set up....I would hate for anything like this to happen here.........

mirandamac
Resident

Postby mirandamac » Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:01 am

Feedback for Jool as asked - I've never seen anything abusive that you've written and agree that your comments about grammar etc have been generalised rather than personal (from my memory which I will confess isn't always the best :oops: ).
The new guidelines seem to be common sense but I'm sure the element of subjectivity is always going to make it difficult for anyone to decide exactly what is acceptable and what is not.
As I've just commented on another thread, I was nearly put off the forum early on by mindless abuse when I asked a couple of questions but because of the many helpful people on here, I now just choose to ignore anything I view as offensive.

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:42 am

I think even the most seasoned posters (on this and all other forums) can be prone to punching some text in, perhaps in temper, and sending immediately, maybe without properly reading it back and considering the implications, particularly if directed at an individual. I did this recently in a pm to .griff (sorry, .griff!). This still happens regularly on email communication.
Admin´s task is to sort out which posts are deliberately nasty or aggressive as opposed to those which are accidently/inadvertently so. Not easy.
I agree with Jool re. personal vendettas and slanging posts. Debate the point but keep the personalities out of it. It´s boring and not what the Forum is set up for.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Jool,my comments about spelling and grammar were not actually directed entirely at you,tho you do pick up on it,and I think its wrong,as i do with other members nit picking about mistakes...It gets you using the spell checker before you submit your posts incase you are going to be pinpointed by other members for spelling mistakes.
but your other posts spoil it for me........and create unneccesary friction and negative energy on the forum.
Oh now come on Jool,you cant blame me alone for this,there are plenty of other posters who are guilty of doing this :shock:

as for the 2% i mentioned in the above post.
I have genuine reasons for these ,although i dont know these posters,one has gone out of the way to do personal things to embarrass me on a public forum,and the other is a trouble maker who Ruins every forum they are posting on,this person is nasty and vindictive,and is genuinely vile and arrogant in real life and as a member on here.
The rest of you,I believe are fun and happy dispite our bickering. :D

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:38 pm

PP - I wasn´t seeking to blame you for it alone as you are absolutely right, there are others as well and some of the members (whom I think are men) can be the worst of all!

Anyone who posts on the lines of personal vendettas, or personal issues or responds in an attacking or critical manner does have an impact on all the other forum users and the way this other forum has degenerated simply makes me feel embarrassed to be english! I don´t post on it and barely read it anymore as its full of squabbles, even between moderators and those posting and now between forum moderators of the two conflicting forums....it shows how these things can escalate and then degenerate if there are no clear limits imposed by moderators......and I don´t want the same thing to happen here.....

I don´t know anyone on here personally so perhaps its a bit different for me but if you have issues with any forum members from experiences elsewhere maybe you could simply choose to ignore their posts, that way there is no fuel to the fire? Anything away from the forum belongs there.........?? The rules will apply to them too......

Spelling errors don´t bother me but illiterate posts, and those where the writer has clearly made no attempt to write in line with accepted standards of english, such as the basics of punctuation and capital letters, do. I think that accepting this sloppy uncaring attitude everywhere simply lowers standards here on this forum and elsewhere. I´m afraid you and I will just have to agree to differ on it.

As for spelling anyone can make a silly mistake or a typo............

ken2
Resident

Postby ken2 » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:53 pm

The thing is Jool,some of us that do post on here, are perhaps like me,computer illiterate,the nit picking about spelling ect ect ect, has really stopped me from makeing lots of posts like i first did,it just gets to boreing to use spell check every time just to keep people like you happy,blimey it takes me so long to type a post, i only use one finger of each hand, ha ha its a shame that when you well educated people come on here and see a bad spelt post that you don't just ignore it,i serpose it to you is like some one stamped on you foot, you just have to speak out, oh well it takes all sorts,hi P.P nice to see you back.no spell check used. bloody feed up with it.

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:01 pm

Ken2 wrote

The thing is Jool,some of us that do post on here, are perhaps like me,computer illiterate,the nit picking about spelling ect ect ect, has really stopped me from makeing lots of posts like i first did
Lets just agree that we all should be a little more curteous with what we write in the future.I will be (apart from the 2% mentioned)decent to all others,if they are decent to me. :D Then we will see who baits for arguments wont we.

As for you Ken2..
hi P.P nice to see you back.
Been a long time since we heard from you on here,Hope all is well,you georgous specimen of a man you :lol: ....How is the darling Fay? :wink:
Hope you are both well,and those scrumptious grandkiddies are all o.k! :wink: