Mucho viento!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
redsoxbrit
Resident

Mucho viento!

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:37 pm

Took the kids to the beach at La Cala today. Excellent facilities - toilets, showers, Life Guard post, easy parking with cafes and shops nearby but is it always so WINDY???? It was the same last time we visited in March - anyone local to the area who could verify this please :roll: ?

campo babe
Resident

Postby campo babe » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:42 pm

The Costa del Sol was originally known as the windy coast, but the sun coast sounded better for the tourist industry.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:48 pm

mmmm... not noticed it so much on the beaches we have visited in Marbella, Fuengirola, Benalmadena or Torremolinos. It's a shame, as apart from that it's a real child friendly beach :cry:

oliveview01
Andalucia Guru

Postby oliveview01 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:33 pm

Been very windy here south east of Sevilla too today, make a nice change from the searing heat there has been, even the Spanish neighbour loved it :D
Hubby said there are bad storms forecast for Galicia tomorrow (and the west of the UK) Guess it is the tail end of the hurrican in the States.

jonnie321
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jonnie321 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:34 pm

campo babe wrote:The Costa del Sol was originally known as the windy coast, but the sun coast sounded better for the tourist industry.
We were told the same about the Costa Tropical! Maybe it was the whole coast?

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:47 pm

No the windy coast was along the Atlantic now called the Coast of Light. At least that was what I was told - :lol:

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:00 am

The windy one is the "Costa de la Luz"

You can even buy Tarifa bumper stickers and t shirts with 365 windy days.

After saying that I´m seeing more and more kite and windsurfing being called out on the Costa del Sol than ever before.

Driving along the Costa del Sol this evening all the tops of the palm trees were swaying in the wind.

jonnie321
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby jonnie321 » Fri Sep 05, 2008 1:02 am

Just Googled it and found 2 spanish property sites on the first page that refer to the Costa Tropical as being the ex-Costa del Viento. If you've ever been there you'll know why!

So I was right na na na nar nar! hahaha!

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:44 am

We go to La Cala quite frequently, it is my favourite beach and I must have been very fortunate because it has never been windy when I have visited.

redsoxbrit
Resident

Postby redsoxbrit » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:15 am

Thanks for your replies. That's wanted I wanted to hear anis - we love it there so we will perservere :lol:

Alan-LaCala
Resident

Postby Alan-LaCala » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:52 am

The wind was stronger than normal yesterday.

Alan
Remember that everything that Fred Astaire did, Ginger Rogers did too; except she did it backwards and wearing high heels!

daisylulu

Postby daisylulu » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:01 am

What's the weather like today on the coast (Marbella area) we are hopng to camp later but it's been spotting with rain here :shock: :D

ian.wilson
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby ian.wilson » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:24 am

This morning is cloudy and looks like rain, none yet though.

Would be nice and may even cool everything down if it does rain.....
Oh Yes! another day in paradise!

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:46 am

No rain is forecast for the Costa del Sol over the whole weekend, you´ll be pleased to hear :D

Much of mainland Spain will see some showers, so in terms of beach activity, we should be ok.

karandjon
Andalucia Guru

Postby karandjon » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:46 pm

jonnie321 wrote:
campo babe wrote:The Costa del Sol was originally known as the windy coast, but the sun coast sounded better for the tourist industry.
We were told the same about the Costa Tropical! Maybe it was the whole coast?
We used to live on the Costa Tropical and it was windy practically every afternoon, 9 months of the year! Often, if it started in the morning, it never gave up all day!

Since moving to the Costa de la Luz (that our books say used to be called the windy coast), we have hardly had any windy hours, let alone days! Mind, we are the Huelva end of the Coast, not the Cadiz end which i understand makes a big difference.
vino, sol y aire, y seras rico como nadie

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 12:01 am

karandjon wrote:We used to live on the Costa Tropical and it was windy practically every afternoon, 9 months of the year! Often, if it started in the morning, it never gave up all day!
You do surprise me. We live on the Costa Tropical and while we do get some very windy days in winter (like everywhere else on the south coast) the wind is no different from the Costa del Sol.

In fact today we had some strong winds - but only 25 knots which is only a moderate to strong breeze in meteorological terms. This is the strongest wind we have had for 3 months. Most days this summer there has been little or no wind - not even a sea breeze.

Whereabouts did you live? There are always local effects that can create areas that tend to get stronger winds - funnelling effects in valleys etc but the coasts are less affected by this.

Sid

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Sat Sep 06, 2008 8:45 am

Hi Sid, gusty here yesterday but very intermittent........any ideas when we are likely to get rain in Almeria province? I´m hoping for a good week from mid Sept......

El Cid
Andalucia Guru

Postby El Cid » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:03 am

Jool wrote: .any ideas when we are likely to get rain in Almeria province? I´m hoping for a good week from mid Sept......
There's a weak front coming through today but it doesn't seem to have much rain on it. If it does rain then it will be more likely in the west. By the time it gets to Almeria it should have almost petered out.

There is a chance of rain this Thursday but apart from that the long range forecast up to the 21st is for dry weather - but I think you know my views on long range forecasts!

Sid

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:25 am

Yesterday's Canal5 news showed torrential rains in Asturia, Galicia & Pais Basco, and the topless bathers in Almería sweltering in 35° heat!
Now if a very very large funnel could be set up on the northern coast of Spain, with a long pipe running south... :wink:
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

flan_taster
Resident

Postby flan_taster » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:46 am

Wind readings at various Spanish airports together with forecasts.
http://www.xcweather.co.uk/?Loc=ES
the numbers of wind turbines erected in the southern Costa de la Luz has certainly increased greatly over the past few years. There have always been many around the Campo de Gibraltar because of that local funnel.