Another crass comment on the radio today!

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Another crass comment on the radio today!

Postby mijasmagic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:52 pm

Remember a few weeks ago, I posted about a certain radio presenter on OCI who, on discussing live on air the latest tragic suicide of a young person in Bridgend, South Wales, said that "it mustn´t be pleasant being Welsh, but you wouldn´t have thought it would be worth killing yourself for"? To his credit, he did come on here to apologise, but this morning he was at it again!

This time, it was the heartwarming story of an XL Airways flight attendant who, despite having been made redundant, yesterday donned her uniform and went to a Turkish airport, unpaid, to help struggling passengers.
All went well with the discussion until his colleague mentioned her name as she was looking for a job. Yes, said the guy, but the downside is that she´s from Liverpool (!!!)
Well, that´s the Welsh and Scousers this guy has publicly insulted. Apart from the unprofessionalism of it, does he imagine there are no listeners to his programme from those parts of the UK?

Amazing!

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:55 pm

Nowt so queer as folk, perhaps his listening figures are down and he needs to stir up controversy to keep his job, what an idiot....I don´t listen to any english radio over here as it all seems inane to me, and a lot of the music is so old its clearly only being played because its out of copyright..........

Devils Advocate
Andalucia Guru

Postby Devils Advocate » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:58 pm

He'll have access to the Amigos lounge before me if you keep on making him come back on here .
Property owner in Andalucia since 2002. How time flies.

julian
Andalucia Guru

radio

Postby julian » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:09 pm

I have the honour of being from watford, but I really wouldn´t take offence and feel insulted if someone on the radio said "but on the downside she´s from watford".don´t you think we´re a all a bit over-sensitive???there are worst things happening in the world that really are worth getting upset about.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:18 am

please get in the real world,if you go to the pub scousers are known as thieves,welsh as sheepshaggers,devonians(me)contry bumkins,londoners wide boy loudmouth b tards, scottish tight ass and violent etc..

its just steriotypes and if a person in the media says it like anne robinson said about the welsh so what

what i could never understand though is that a coloured chap can call him and his friends the n word its ok,but if i did i would be crucified

and why does no irishman get upset about irish jokes

i believe in freedom of speech,say what you want
jayne countys most famous song,google it

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:04 am

" and why does no irishman get upset about irish jokes " .......I know a few who do , Frog.
These two friends don't mind the odd joke in the pub, and will give back readily with an Englishman joke or two, and we all laugh. :lol:
The troubles arise when a stand up comedian cannot get off the subject of " thick Paddy " ( especially when said comedian is a loud mouthed "wide boy in yer face Londoner b" ) then watch the hackles slowly start to rise and I can't say that I blame them.
All to do with humour at the expense of others and not stretching the line too far to the point of offensiveness.

Jool
Andalucia Guru

Postby Jool » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:05 am

And appropriateness, why add on "but she´s from X or Y or whatever" in a sneering manner when it could have been phrased positively such as typical scouser community spirit or something when the report is actually about someone doing a kindness? Humour and jokes are one thing but there seems a lack of genuine positivity and simple acknowledgment these days........

I thought Jim Davidson was great last night on his interview with Piers Morgan but there was a po faced newspaper editor (whose name escapes me now) who just completely missed his humour and basically went for the jugular in terms of how racist, and sexist JD was etc., really not the thing you know (in favour of the alternative, overly "clever" pc type "humour")

julian
Andalucia Guru

humour

Postby julian » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:17 am

I think it´s a question of accepting that there are many different senses of humour, and just because someone doesn´t have the same sense of humour as yourself it doesn´t mean it is better or worse, just different

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 4:32 pm

To hell,with the commentator, three cheers for the hostess. At least she tried to help out at a vert trying time, wish there were more like her.
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:58 pm

Jool!!!!!!!
I too saw the interview with Jim Davidson and was horrified by his hateful racist remarks and his obvious contempt for women. He was entirely unaphologetic about his dislike of women and black people and tried to use the "freedom of speech" argurment to say several shocking statements on the programme
I think that PC has gone a little too far in the UK,however as a resident of Spain I fear that there may be Spanish comedians who would make jokes about the nasty English immigrants and this would lead to attacks (physical and political) upon us all.
I was walking through Malaga City at night last summer and someone shouted an insult at me from a car. i asked my Spanish freind what he had said and he told me theat it translated "white suckling pig" and that to most people who lived in Malaga City the Brits do appear to be pale and their shaved heads did look like baby pigs!!!
Comedy?
Dying to move to spain

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:11 pm

I watched it too. I like Piers Morgan and thought it was a good interview. Jim Davidson has never pretended to be PC. I doubt that I would enjoy one of his live shows as I'm sure it would be filth, but he was quite a funny comedian in his time. I think far too much emphasis is put on being PC, you daren't open your mouth or crack a joke. Laswalkirias - someone shouting that at you from a car window is personal and therefore offensive, I would find it so. But a Spanish comedian saying it wouldn't be personal in my eyes, and wouldn't bother me in the least.
I'm far too much of a snob to want the likes of Jim Davidson at a dinner party :shock: but he can be quite funny, and I don't consider myself racist.

peteroldracer
Andalucia Guru

Postby peteroldracer » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:38 am

To have Jim Davidson at a dinner party would be an immense honour - there are few who have raised more money for armed services charities - and the only negative factor would be difficulty in eating, due to laughing too much. The other big plus factor is that the kind of snobs that I loathe would steer well clear, leaving the more discerning to enjoy an open-minded evening.
The UK and America have become so anally-retentive, intolerant and PC these days that having a sense of humour is becoming dangerous.
I will start to believe that America is the "land of the free" when a presidential candidate who says that belief in a god is ridiculous, gets elected - or at least not shot in the street!
I used to cough to disguise a [email protected] I f@rt to disguise a cough.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:58 am

You could be disappointed Pete, he may not be able to spell :wink:

Colinm
Resident

Postby Colinm » Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:54 pm

who said it would be a 'he'?
If McCain wins, and then goes off to the great polling booth in the sky, then they would have their first woman president!

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:26 pm

Let me put my cards on the table and state unequivically i hate the almost dictatorial and bullying PC culture that is ruining the lives of ordinary decent people in the UK and the resentment that it brings.
Most PC types are out of touch with ordinary working people and do not live in the multicultural neighbourhoods of our inner cities and can pontificate for hours whilst drinking their gin and tonics in leafy surrey.
However, having travelled to Indonesia and Malaysia I have to reluctantly agree that PC tyrants are the lesser of two evils. In many countries today statements and jokes about minorities have led to blood and dead bodies on the street.
Multiculturism has not worked out well for the uk and I am afraid that as its too late to close the stable door we will all just have to be enraged by the PC tyrants as the alternative is really scary.
The same fate awaits us all as immigrants to Spain we are already reesented by a sizeable minority of Spaniards scared of higher unemployment and a seeming influx of older european immigrants who are using their hospitals and doctors(never mind that the UK is actually paying the Spanish government for those services)
A joke about English immigration can all too easily lead to attacks upon decent new settlers to Spain. I would rather be PC than dead!!!
Dying to move to spain

costagirl
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby costagirl » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:29 pm

quote from frog:

'and why does no irishman get upset about irish jokes'

Because we all have great sense of humour and enjoy life to the full.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

julian
Andalucia Guru

uk

Postby julian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:33 pm

"A joke about English immigration can all too easily lead to attacks upon decent new settlers to Spain. I would rather be PC than dead!!!"
yeah right.....it´s really dangerous around here, I´m scared to go out the front door here in Spain in case I get killed by an angry gang of the anti-english brigade ... :roll:

laswalkirias
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby laswalkirias » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:10 pm

You should be!!!!
Dying to move to spain

tjtops
Resident

Postby tjtops » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:20 pm

Julian....I can't believe such a sarcastic comment from you.....before trying to belittle someone's perfectly genuine viewpoint, I suggest you delve a little deeper into the not-so-distant past in some Andalucian towns (naming no names) when racist (ie anti-Brit) outbursts were, sadly, fairly commonplace.......the feeling is still pretty strong now and as the employment (or lack of it) situation gets worse, I rather fancy so will the anti-foreigner sentiments of yer average Antonio in the street -- particularly the younger ones who are already full of testosterone-fuelled racial hatred against what they see as a gradual takeover of their country and their customs (and who can blame them, really?)
Never say never!
Maybe you 'lucky' Marbella-dwellers are cushioned against any 'real' Spanish people??? :wink:
Life is as good as you make it, just keep my glass half full

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:21 pm

Laswalkirias - I remember you posting that you lived in a high crime area in London, but if where you have chosen in Spain is worrying you so much, maybe you should have a rethink on the area? Where is it you are staying that is so bad?