Travelling to Tangiers - advice?

Do you have a query on how to get things done in Andalucia, where to find things, who to call? Find out by posting and hear about others experiences.
angelmouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Travelling to Tangiers - advice?

Postby angelmouse » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:26 am

Hi,
I'm planning a trip to Tangiers with my family in October from Marbella. Any advice on do I need to pre-book Ferry, best place to catch it and the safest and easiest place in Spain to leave the car as I don't want to take it over to Tangiers.
I don't plan to go with an organised group but will probably hire a guide via the riad that I have found. Any other advice, especially from people that have gone with their children...mine range from 7 to 12.
Thank you....

gronc
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby gronc » Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:36 pm

I went from Tarifa last year, just turned up in the morning and bought a ticket at the port. Be carefull with your return though because we nearly missed the boat back because of a huge queue at passport control/customs.

mijasmagic
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby mijasmagic » Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:24 pm

The fast ferry from Tarifa is good and you can leave your car safely in the free car park at the ferry terminal.

angelmouse
Andalucia.com Amigo

Tangiers with children

Postby angelmouse » Tue Sep 16, 2008 7:20 pm

Great, thank you for that.

Any places that you think I should definately go to see....any restaurants, tourist attractions? Any to avoid?!!

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:33 pm

Villa Josephine ia an amazing place to have lunch or dinner, you need to pre book

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:40 am

1. Be aware of the customs allowance on cigarettes, drink etc when you come back.

2. Use €s - don't bother buying their paper money.

3. I reckon that you can do without a guide - they just take you to the parts their friends have shops etc. You can find your way to the market area easily enough.

4. You probably need a taxi to Tangiers centre.

5. Caves of Hercules worth seeing - but again, taxi.

julian
Andalucia Guru

tanger

Postby julian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:58 pm

I agree that it is easiest to go from tarifa, but be careful with the car park next to the terminal, there is a time limit and they give parking tickets, the free car park around the corner is being re-built at present, or at least it was till very recently.
no need to book, just turn up about 20 minutes before it leaves, every 2 hours. see www.frs.es
make sure you fill in and get the white customs form stamped ON the ferry.
tangiers is 2 hours behind spanish time.
take lots of 1 euro coins for tipping etc
It can be easiest to take the same taxi for the whole day (one of the big mercedes taxis, the small blue ones cannot leave the town), that way the guy can show you around and you can leave any stuff locked safely in the taxi instead of carrying everything everytime you get out of the car, negotiate a price for the whole day.
no problem with the children, they love kids there.
have a great trip

Stupot
Andalucia.com Amigo

Morocco time

Postby Stupot » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:50 pm

Morocco reintroduced daylight saving this year. It was due to revert to GMT / UTC 27th Sept but did so 1st Sept. It is now, therefore two hours behind Spain but this will become one hour behind when Spain changes back an hour in October.
Stupot

Kathy
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby Kathy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:57 pm

The small amount of money you invest in a guide is well worth it to prevent constant pestering to buy carpets, etc etc etc

pentaqua-new
Resident

Postby pentaqua-new » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:52 am

Our experience, for what it's worth, is that we were pestered as much with (day one) as without (day two) the guide - so I guess takes your chance ....