Do you sunbathe?

Other topics that are not covered in the sections above.
Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Do you sunbathe?

Postby Lavanda » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:37 pm

Just come back from 5 days in the U.K. Most people's first response is "You don't look very brown!" I suppose we don't. We are tanned from going about our lives in a sunny country but we do not 'sunbathe' and do not look like we've had the 'two weeks in Spain' holiday.

So, as questions are in vogue, do you sunbathe?

wagon ropes
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby wagon ropes » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:45 pm

As answers are also 'in vogue', no I don't 'sunbathe' but I do spend most of my time outside. We have a large area of land to maintain plus a lot of white walls to paint so I am out working much more than I am in.

I guess that I am pretty brown by most standards but, unfortunately, I do not go the classic tan colour. More a kind of orangy-brown. Not perfect but better than the pale pink I used to be :lol:
Life is 'ard den you die!

julian
Andalucia Guru

sun

Postby julian » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:59 pm

when I get a moment to lie "in the sun" I tend to look for a bit of shade, always surprises me when I see the holidaymakers at 2pm in august lying the sun on their first day.I remember doing that before I lived here, looks like torture now!

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 pm

Yes. It's surprising how I now look for the shady side of the street to walk in rather than looking for every bit of sun every bit of the day.

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:06 pm

Only maybe in winter, to get some heat! Never sunbathe as such in summer, maybe have about 4 days in total on the beach accompanying vistors. That has to be June or September, July August are too hot for me. I never think I look particularly suntanned, compared with years ago doing the two week hol in the sun. Whenever I go to UK everyone else says that I am. Must just be from walking and gardening.
I know so many people that have had skin cancer treatment here, maybe its best to stay out of it.

anis
Resident

Postby anis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:13 pm

...can't be bothered, you get tanned working the garden, finca or whatever or just shopping. Got enough little laughter wrinkles without asking for more from the sun :lol: :lol:
Used to be a sunworshipper so I guess that was my downfall, but I still enjoy the warm weather and the fact that you can do more things because of it, like BBQ and long balmy evenings, etc.,.
I am more Wagon Ropes colour - a sort of orangy, faded brown - "an orange suckling pig" ! :lol: :lol: :lol: ( you need to see other thread comedian for context )

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:10 pm

Skin cancer ... I check my lumps and bumps and moles and things every day (showering etc). I've certainly got more 'freckles' than I used to have and that's down to the sun. I always wear a hat on the finca but don't bother with sunscreen as I think my skin has got used to the sun. (Is that silly?) But it is nice to have those balmy evenings ...

Paula
Andalucia Guru

Postby Paula » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:39 pm

I use a face moisturiser in summer that has a factor 15 sunscreen incorporated.
I read an article once that if you were to use sunblock on your face everyday from being a baby you would have the skin of a teenager when in your 40's.

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:22 pm

Actually sunblocks & sun creams have ingredients that can cause skin cancer and lots of other ingredients including harsh chemical preservatives which can irritate the skin and cause premature ageing. Things like Green Tea, Shea Butter, Jojoba Oil & Aloe Vera all have a natural SPF and nourish the skin. Eating plenty of berries and a diet including lots of carotenoids & Vit E can also help to protect the skin from UV damage from the inside.

We don't really sunbathe but we are usually out and about in summer and we all need some sun to produce Vit D :D :D

annie_d
Resident

Postby annie_d » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:55 pm

Nope. I use Benefit 30 block on my face and Lancome flash bronzer on my face and everywhere else.
anyway, anyway, love from me.

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:04 am

when i first moved here me and the frogess looked like a couple of 1870's cotton pickers,now we dont

as you know,too much sun is bad for you and i dont think the brits that move here realise that until its a bit late

i am a honky
jayne countys most famous song,google it

anewlife
Andalucia.com Amigo

Postby anewlife » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:42 am

Yes me too agree with all the comments. Just because we live in a hot country, when you go back to UK everyone expects you to be really, really tanned, but we all know it doesn't work like that!

Crazyred - I heard that too that a lot of suncreams can actually harm your skin, hence stay in the shade always!

When my sister comes here, she is in the sun morning, noon and night trying to get that perfect tan, whereas the rest of us are cooling down in our cave house!

We don't live near a beach, but there is a municipal pool open Jul and Aug, but we always head for 'our pitch' - near a palm tree in the shade - and we sit under it most times, apart from the odd dip in the pool!

You get a better 'all round tan' just by walking about! In fact, I am convinced my dad gets a better tan than any of us just by sitting in the lounge by the window (he always caught the sun better than any of us anyway!!).

princess peach
Andalucia Guru

Postby princess peach » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:07 am

sunbathing for me :D
pure coconut oil,with no factor in it and i never burn!
im actually lucky if it does anything to me.
:wink:

crazyred
Resident

Postby crazyred » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:02 am

Sorry, I forgot to add Cocunut Oil to the list of things with natural SPF :D :D

Free at Last
Resident

Postby Free at Last » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:34 pm

Not often and not for long - never in July or August. Sometimes I will have up to 2 hours on a sun lounger on the terrace but don't go out until 4pm or later. I never go to the beach as I hate sand, have done ever since I was a child, it just makes me unbearably itchy.

I have fair skin so wouldn't ever get a dark tan even if I spent all day every day in the sun, a pale golden shade is as good as it gets. I wear a moisturiser for my face with SPF 15 every day, winter included, going up to SPF 20 in the hottest months, and sunscreen of between SPF 6 to SPF 15 for the rest, and I never walk around outside with my shoulders and chest uncovered as they burn like mad and I can never be sure exactly how long I might be out in the sun for.

Unfortunately my brother and I inherited our mother's colouring whereas my sister got my father's - she goes really brown with minimal sun exposure which is soooo unfair!

keddyboy
Resident

Postby keddyboy » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:13 pm

Last time I sunbathed, the local coastguard prodded me with his foot and asked if I would move as the tide wanted to come in.
Littlehamton Beach1973!!
Keddyboy
Never do today what you can leave until tomorrow.

Wicksey
Andalucia Guru

Postby Wicksey » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:23 pm

Like the rest of you (well, most of you anyway :wink: ) I don't sunbathe. I think the novelty soon wears off when you live in a sunny country and it's too hot to be outside in July and August for me. My upper legs and back (which are not normally exposed!) have got a bit brown purely from my daily afternoon swim which proves that you can get brown through the water! I do like to sit outside on a sunny winter's day when it doesn't feel like you're being fried alive :lol: but never for very long. I'm far too much of a fidget-bum to sit still for long. Although my face cream has some SPF something in it, I cannot be bothered to coat myself in sun tan lotion everyday, so just avoid it when it's very hot.

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:23 pm

Neat responses. Locals never sunbathe and nor, it seems, do we. We must be integrating nicely!

frog
Resident

Postby frog » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:33 am

Locals never sunbathe

you have never been to the beach in fuengirola then
jayne countys most famous song,google it

Lavanda
Andalucia Guru

Postby Lavanda » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:27 am

Yes I have Frog. Once. It was full of Spanish people from the north coast. Tourists on holiday.